Ford Focus ST Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
768 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So here's one that's got me stumped. Curious how the oil temp is maintained on this engine. I know a few have real oil temp gauges and have commented how close the factory gauge is to actual. But I've had real (I installed them), mechanical oil temp gauges on two other vehicles; my '91 Mustang 5.0 and my '02 F150 4.6. In both of these instances, outside air temperature had a significant influence on oil temperature. In fact, my '02 F150 (that I still have as a DD), I would label 'normal oil temp' as 100* over ambient. If it's 50* outside, I'd call normal oil temp 150*. If it's 90*, it'll be 190*. Water temp has zero bearing on my oil temp. Water temp is 200* + - 10 all year round. On the ST, my oil temp is almost always dead around the 210* mark.

Now don't get me wrong, I don't consider this too hot or anything like that. Quite the contrary...210* is about perfect. I'm just curious how the oil temp is maintained so steadily under driving conditions regardless of outside air temp.

·
Registered
162 Posts
My AP shows my oil temp around 180 to 190 with ambient temps of high eighties. This is on highway speeds of 80 and up and some long up hill freeway pulls. Elevation gains from sea level to over 5000 ft. Did a 120 mile one way runtime this today. Oil temps never over 190

1 - 3 of 3 Posts