Ford Focus ST Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
352 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
A few weeks ago I had to do a 180 mile road trip in 35-40 mph crosswinds, and yesterday I did a shorter one to get my first service done, again on the interstate in crosswinds. The first trip I noticed an intermittent noise that sounded like I was driving over bridge grating when the wind blew hard, and yesterday I heard the same noise along with a vibration in the body. I travel these roads often, so it's not the road causing the noise. The only thing I can figure is it's the wind going across the spoiler causing the noise. Anyone else heard/felt this? Oh, and I was pleasantly surprised at how well it does in the wind. I wasn't constantly fighting the wheel like I used to in my '10 GTI. :big smile:

·
Registered
2015 ST3, no sunroof, Koenig Oversteers
254 Posts
My 2015 ST3 has an issue with the Active Grille Shutters. When they close above about 60 MPH, I get an aero vibration. I can hear it with my ears and feel it in my feet. The intensity and frequency of the sound increases with my speed, but nothing makes it more apparent than wind. If I'm driving 75 MPH and there is a gusting wind... wow.

If you can make the noise go away by commanding some power (which, apparently, opens the AGS) and then have the noise reappear a few seconds after you either back off the gas completely or just back off to cruise power (closing the AGS), you'll know your problem is the AGS.

Reactions: mininsx

·
Registered
63 Posts
Yep

A few weeks ago I had to do a 180 mile road trip in 35-40 mph crosswinds, and yesterday I did a shorter one to get my first service done, again on the interstate in crosswinds. The first trip I noticed an intermittent noise that sounded like I was driving over bridge grating when the wind blew hard, and yesterday I heard the same noise along with a vibration in the body. I travel these roads often, so it's not the road causing the noise. The only thing I can figure is it's the wind going across the spoiler causing the noise. Anyone else heard/felt this? Oh, and I was pleasantly surprised at how well it does in the wind. I wasn't constantly fighting the wheel like I used to in my '10 GTI. :big smile:
I've only had my ST for a few days over a month - and yes, I have experienced this too. At first I was like WTF, I drive this road all the time, it's not 'like' this in my old car (in so many other ways too, lol), and after a few other times and me noticing simultaneous considerably strong winds/gust I just figured it was some aero-effect, no harm - no foul.

Reactions: mininsx

·
Registered
352 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
My 2015 ST3 has an issue with the Active Grille Shutters. When they close above about 60 MPH, I get an aero vibration. I can hear it with my ears and feel it in my feet. The intensity and frequency of the sound increases with my speed, but nothing makes it more apparent than wind. If I'm driving 75 MPH and there is a gusting wind... wow.

If you can make the noise go away by commanding some power (which, apparently, opens the AGS) and then have the noise reappear a few seconds after you either back off the gas completely or just back off to cruise power (closing the AGS), you'll know your problem is the AGS.[/QUOTE]

I'll have to try that the next time it happens. At first I thought it could be the grill because our cars have a pretty big "mouth" but the shutters themselves didn't cross my mind.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts