Ford Focus ST Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
660 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I got my AP yesterday and started setting it up.
I got it all sorted, firmware updated and made sure I had the v204 maps ready to go.
I did the stage 0 after install and ran a data log using the default parameters selected.
I'm not an expert but I've looked at a few datalogs. I didn't notice anything out of the ordinary that would indicate a mechanical issue.
So I went ahead and installed stage 1 v204.

I'm coming from the Speed 3 world and that thing was a ticking time bomb by comparison to this car. So I'm always a little paranoid about what's going on in real time. AFR and boost are obvious things to see and realize when something's wrong, but I'm curious about some of the other parameters...

I'm not sure if this ECU works in a similar fashion, but some things I learned from the speed were that fuel trims should usually be as low as possible. High trims (+ or -) usually indicate a vacuum leak of some kind or something wrong with fueling itself. I've already noticed my trims on this car a very low most of the time regardless of the map. On the speed they usually 0d out when you went WOT - Not sure about the ST....

The big number on the speed to watch was KR on the speed - knock retard. The actual timing (degrees) the ecu would pull because of detected knock.
I'm guessing this is ign correction on this car? I see there are several parameters called knock something - knock count for each cylinder, knock PI DET Rate, and then knock sensor 1 and 2. I tried the knock sensor and it comes up with some value that I think was in the 20's. I don't know what I'm looking at. ign corr seems to be like KR on the speed???

Any insight would be greatly appreciated :)
Reading through this sum-forum I feel like the tuners on here seem to answer more than anyone from Cobb.

Thanks

·
Registered
5,878 Posts
ign corr. 1-4 is what you wanna look at, - means its pulling timing based on sensor feedback + means it is adding obviously.

with OTS maps you want to make sure your OAR Lrn is -1 (maximum adjustment for octane)

I monitor in real time: Boost, AFR actual, Ign Corr. 1 (noisyest cyl on my car), coolant temp, FRP actual (fuel rail pressure), and charge temp because I am still on stock fmic

·
Registered
5,878 Posts

·
Registered
5,878 Posts

·
Registered
660 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks for all the fast info guys. I will browse the tuners sections too.

How about load? On the speed 3 every season change a few would post up that they blew up because it got cold, they ran too much boost, and leaned out.
Load would usually be a good indicator of what was going on if you were to either accidentally create a high load situation (low rpm high gear) or it was just cold out and you got on it. I do live in Ohio and it gets cold.

·
Registered
5,878 Posts
Thanks for all the fast info guys. I will browse the tuners sections too.

How about load? On the speed 3 every season change a few would post up that they blew up because it got cold, they ran too much boost, and leaned out.
Load would usually be a good indicator of what was going on if you were to either accidentally create a high load situation (low rpm high gear) or it was just cold out and you got on it. I do live in Ohio and it gets cold.
I log load, but the ST will be fine, this ain't a zoom zoom boom as others have said to me have put it lol

·
Registered
104 Posts
Jeezus you make the MazdaSpeed sound like a V2rocket hehe. Hemi do you mind sharing what values should be considered troublesome in the list you monitor?

·
Registered
660 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Jeezus you make the MazdaSpeed sound like a V2rocket hehe. Hemi do you mind sharing what values should be considered troublesome in the list you monitor?
Every single gen1 ms3 had lots of kr on the stock tune. if you felt secure that your engine wouldn't blow driving that car, it was because you weren't looking at what was really going on. LOL
My engine dropped 30lbs compression and took a poop at about 60k. Mods list included intake, dp, and catback - No tune, no increased boost. Mazda bought me a new one. I just never want to go through that experience again :)

·
Registered
5,878 Posts
I prefer my AFR richer than 11.8, fuel pressure over 1900 or so (it will run higher), corrections less than 2.5 (this is for my tune!!! will not apply to OTS you want lower) my boost is anywhere between 20-22.5. others will run more or less etc etc. I refer all else to my tuner, it's important to chose a good one and one you trust.

·
Registered
660 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I prefer my AFR richer than 11.8, fuel pressure over 1900 or so (it will run higher), corrections less than 2.5 (this is for my tune!!! will not apply to OTS you want lower) my boost is anywhere between 20-22.5. others will run more or less etc etc. I refer all else to my tuner, it's important to chose a good one and one you trust.
Alex is from speed 3 land and I remember him. He prob remembers me :)
I'll probably throw him some money one day for an etune once I get all the stage 3 parts.

·
Registered
5,878 Posts
Alex is from speed 3 land and I remember him. He prob remembers me :)
I'll probably throw him some money one day for an etune once I get all the stage 3 parts.
He has an OTS option that is leaps and bounds better than the COBB maps in every way and is affordable. However I am "stage 1" and got great gains over cobb maps, but the best part is the drive-ability enhancements with an Alex custom map.
I will say though: we have great tuners here and you really can't go wrong with any of them on the stock turbo.

·
Registered
40 Posts
Hey not to drag this up in a random post but I'm looking for a good tune for my car running stage 3 Cobb ots figure it's time to get a real tune. You're saying this Alex can do a good job how do I get in contact with him ?

·
Administrator
12,714 Posts
Hey not to drag this up in a random post but I'm looking for a good tune for my car running stage 3 Cobb ots figure it's time to get a real tune. You're saying this Alex can do a good job how do I get in contact with him ?
Geez, really dug out this one.

Alex is the lead tuner for stratified.

He is one of many excellent tuners for this platform.

You can pm one of their reps here, post in their vendor section, or contact them via their website.

·
Registered
660 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
1 - 15 of 15 Posts