Ford Focus ST Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
252 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all, anyone have had or does have issues with the front Recaro seats creaking? Would be interested to know if anyone has successfully fixed the issue if so.

Thanks

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

·
Registered
11 Posts
Yes, I posted this in an idling thread, my Recaro slides a tiny, annoying amount in hard turns. I am 5-10 185 lbs. and the seat is extremely comfortable, but the small click on the other hand is as annoying as the idling.

If you look under the seat there are two U-shaped clamp-style bolts with bushings that hold it to a round bar seat frame. Awful design, really awful. I am probably going to epoxy around the bushings. Another reason it slides is because the rear seat frames are so thin it flexes a great deal, and makes the whole seat wobbly. I would say tighten the bolts, but you would have to take the seat apart to do so as the head of the bolts is clearly in the seat foam somewhere.

CVPI, how the hell do you fit in a Recaro in these cars? My dad is 6-2 275 and can't get in and out of the car.

·
Premium Member
2,379 Posts
Yes, I posted this in an idling thread, my Recaro slides a tiny, annoying amount in hard turns. I am 5-10 185 lbs. and the seat is extremely comfortable, but the small click on the other hand is as annoying as the idling.

If you look under the seat there are two U-shaped clamp-style bolts with bushings that hold it to a round bar seat frame. Awful design, really awful. I am probably going to epoxy around the bushings. Another reason it slides is because the rear seat frames are so thin it flexes a great deal, and makes the whole seat wobbly. I would say tighten the bolts, but you would have to take the seat apart to do so as the head of the bolts is clearly in the seat foam somewhere.

CVPI, how the hell do you fit in a Recaro in these cars? My dad is 6-2 275 and can't get in and out of the car.
Whiteline lateral locks worked perfectly for me, no seat movement in 8-10k miles w/o retightening. I forget which previous thread the link was posted.

·
Registered
252 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
The issue seems to be with the outer rear mounts moving causing the clicking/creaking. Tried tightening them up and it's still there. Gonna pull the seats out and have a better look

·
Registered
236 Posts

·
Premium Member
2,379 Posts

No need to remove seats, but careful not to drop anything, bolts or Allen key into the hole beneath seats. I did and almost lost it down there to forever roll around. It hindsight, place some cardboard along the entire floor under the seat while you're working.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Is the issues with the seat shifting side to side, or just unwanted noise? I installed the collars on my '15 ST2 seats, which solved the shifting problem under hard cornering, but it still creaks when going over bumps and such. I noticed that when holding onto the plastic covering next to the door, I can get the creaking to stop. I'm just not sure exactly what is rubbing is rubbing together.

·
Registered
252 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Is the issues with the seat shifting side to side, or just unwanted noise? I installed the collars on my '15 ST2 seats, which solved the shifting problem under hard cornering, but it still creaks when going over bumps and such. I noticed that when holding onto the plastic covering next to the door, I can get the creaking to stop. I'm just not sure exactly what is rubbing is rubbing together.
For me the creaking is due to sideways movement, the noise is made when going around corners, even the smallest ones. I took that plastic cover off and the noise is still there.

Interested to know how the whiteline collars are installed if you could please share

·
Registered
236 Posts
For me the creaking is due to sideways movement, the noise is made when going around corners, even the smallest ones. I took that plastic cover off and the noise is still there.

Interested to know how the whiteline collars are installed if you could please share

They go on the outer sides of the factory mounting collars, effectively locking them in place. The way the factory mount is attached, it loosens over time and causes it to slide under lateral load.
I don't know why the link didn't work, but if you Google "focus st wobbly seat" it should take you to the link to the the forum post. It's on page 4, post #36.
wobblyseat.jpg

·
Registered
252 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
They go on the outer sides of the factory mounting collars, effectively locking them in place. The way the factory mount is attached, it loosens over time and causes it to slide under lateral load.
I don't know why the link didn't work, but if you Google "focus st wobbly seat" it should take you to the link to the the forum post. It's on page 4, post #36.
View attachment 243450
Ah yes I see now, thanks for explaining.

Think I found the problem for me, pulled the seats out and the insulation pad/tape underneath the outer rear mounts on both seats had worn through to the chassis. So obviously the creaking/clicking was being caused by metal to metal movement between the seat rail and the chassis.

I have put some padding back in and rebolted the seats in and it seems to have fixed it, atleast for the moment. Fingers crossed it stays that way, otherwise I might burn the f&[email protected] thing to the ground

1 - 13 of 13 Posts