Ford Focus ST Forum banner

1 - 20 of 34 Posts

·
Registered
744 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Happened last week. I was driving home from work and was in one of the right lanes. A car to my left started merging into me/my lane (he probably didn't know I was there) and I beeped my horn and looked at him like "Wtf are you doing". When I turned my head back to the road, all of the cars in front of me were at a standstill and I couldn't stop in time. :crying: Well, there goes the Maxton RS bumper....

I've been waiting to hear back from the insurance agency about what they're going to do with the car and whether or not they'll declare it totaled. From what I can tell, the hood, fender, and passenger headlight all need to be replaced. I don't have the factory bumper (traded with a guy for the Maxton RS) so the insurance is going to have to try and find an OEM one to replace it...KBB currently has the car in very good condition listed at $9,500-$10,500 so it looks like any repair costs over $7500 and it's probably a goner. The car was still running after the accident, it wasn't overheating nor was it leaking any fluids (from what I could tell) so I'm not sure if anything mechanical is broken. Airbags didn't deploy however I noticed that my airbag light had been on for a few weeks and now I'm betting it was the front crash sensor...I only hit the guy going maybe 15-20mph but I still feel like that should've deployed the airbags and put the car in crash mode. I'm extremely lucky and grateful that I didn't hit him or anything else going faster.

Most importantly, no one was hurt. The guy's CX-5 needs a new bumper, taillight and taillight but that's what insurance is for. Moral of the story, I took my eyes off the road for maybe 2 seconds and this is what happened. Don't be distracted and drive, kids.
20171220_123658.jpg 20171220_123702.jpg 20171220_123705.jpg

·
Super Moderator
2017 Ford Fusion Sport
8,198 Posts
Happened last week. I was driving home from work and was in one of the right lanes. A car to my left started merging into me/my lane (he probably didn't know I was there) and I beeped my horn and looked at him like "Wtf are you doing". When I turned my head back to the road, all of the cars in front of me were at a standstill and I couldn't stop in time. :crying: Well, there goes the Maxton RS bumper....

I've been waiting to hear back from the insurance agency about what they're going to do with the car and whether or not they'll declare it totaled. From what I can tell, the hood, fender, and passenger headlight all need to be replaced. I don't have the factory bumper (traded with a guy for the Maxton RS) so the insurance is going to have to try and find an OEM one to replace it...KBB currently has the car in very good condition listed at $9,500-$10,500 so it looks like any repair costs over $7500 and it's probably a goner. The car was still running after the accident, it wasn't overheating nor was it leaking any fluids (from what I could tell) so I'm not sure if anything mechanical is broken. Airbags didn't deploy however I noticed that my airbag light had been on for a few weeks and now I'm betting it was the front crash sensor...I only hit the guy going maybe 15-20mph but I still feel like that should've deployed the airbags and put the car in crash mode. I'm extremely lucky and grateful that I didn't hit him or anything else going faster.

Most importantly, no one was hurt. The guy's CX-5 needs a new bumper, taillight and taillight but that's what insurance is for. Moral of the story, I took my eyes off the road for maybe 2 seconds and this is what happened. Don't be distracted and drive, kids.
View attachment 299922 View attachment 299930 View attachment 299938
Noooooo!! Not your car D: It's one of my favorites! RIP

·
Registered
744 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Yeah, I'm not happy that it happened but it did open my eyes to how fast these car depreciate. The car (on KBB) was worth about $17-18k two years ago when I bought it with 41k miles. Don't get me wrong, I drive a lot and put another 45k on the odometer in that time, but still. If they do end up totaling it, I don't think I'd get another ST unfortunately. I may take another look at the RS' to see if I can get one for a decent chunk under MSRP but I'm thinking more along the lines of a used Chevy SS or Audi S6. The Focus ST is a great car, though. It's perfect for someone looking to get their first manual or FI car as long as they don't blow the engine up via LSPI. I think I'm just ready for a newer car that'll (hopefully) hold its value much better than the ST's can.

·
Registered
530 Posts

View attachment 299922 View attachment 299930 View attachment 299938
That really sucks a lot. Where did it happen? You can see from my location tag I'm also NNJ

·
Super Moderator
2017 Ford Fusion Sport
8,198 Posts
Yeah, I'm not happy that it happened but it did open my eyes to how fast these car depreciate. The car (on KBB) was worth about $17-18k two years ago when I bought it with 41k miles. Don't get me wrong, I drive a lot and put another 45k on the odometer in that time, but still. If they do end up totaling it, I don't think I'd get another ST unfortunately. I may take another look at the RS' to see if I can get one for a decent chunk under MSRP but I'm thinking more along the lines of a used Chevy SS or Audi S6. The Focus ST is a great car, though. It's perfect for someone looking to get their first manual or FI car as long as they don't blow the engine up via LSPI. I think I'm just ready for a newer car that'll (hopefully) hold its value much better than the ST's can.
I agree on depreciation and that alone is one of the biggest things that bother me with this car. I joke and pick on Subaru owners, but they can always come back at me with "at least I can sell my car and not lose 60%" because I still see used 60+k mile Subarus for 20+k dollars.

·
Registered
181 Posts
Sorry to hear about the accident and glad there weren't any injuries!

Depreciation takes the biggest toll in the first 3 years of most cars. Even buying used can get someone upside down with depreciation quickly. Just factor it into the overall cost of vehicle ownership when making your decision, just like insurance costs, maintenance, fuel economy, etc...

·
Registered
744 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
That really sucks a lot. Where did it happen? You can see from my location tag I'm also NNJ
On Route 10 in Hanover.

But yeah, depreciation is quite the blow. I've looked up my car's value every so often but I think the last time I looked it up was about a year ago and it was still at $10k. I suppose it's just the life of having a "supped-up" commuter. Regardless of whether or not it's a "special" Focus, at the end of the day, it's still a Focus and it'll still depreciate like one. I hope the RS doesn't follow that same boat. EVO X's are still worth quite the pretty penny in good condition so I have hope the RS will retain at least some of its value.

·
Registered
744 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Got a call from Progressive tonight--my rep said that the estimate is taking a bit longer than expected because of the holiday but right now, they're at about 75% of the car's value for repairs so it looks like she's a goner. I'll keep you guys posted.

·
Registered
2017 Ford Focus ST
679 Posts
This royally sucks...and right after Christmas.... My blessings go out to you and your poor ST, I hope you will be reunited and your ST made whole again.

·
Registered
181 Posts
In the meantime while they are evaluating things, I would try to find some "comparable" STs (options, year, mileage) so you can get a good idea of how much it will cost to replace your vehicle. Hit up Autotrader, Carmax.com, and any other sources that would show the retail price you would pay from a dealer. I would not settle for accepting a KBB trade in value from an insurance company that totals your vehicle. Even if you don't intend to buy another ST, you should try to get your insurance company to give you the value of what it would truly cost to replace it. Don't forget taxes, too. Best of luck!

·
Premium Member
1,152 Posts
I can't possibly believe your car is only worth $10k. I've NEVER seen one selling for anywhere near that.

That sucks man.

I also LOL and second the whole Subaru lack of depreciation. I regret not getting a WRX over an ST every time I think about it.
My ex paid $8500 in 2008 for her 2002 WRX wagon with 80k miles on it, from some old dude.
We saw another clean 02 WRX wagon for sale last year with 185k miles for $8500.

·
Registered
1,763 Posts
I hate this for you! As someone who did something similar a couple decades ago, it's embarrassing and stupid and shouldn't have happened. But believe me it could always be worse. I ran into a boat. Yes, the outboard propeller went right thru my grill and hood and there was coolant everywhere. It was an eight-yer-old Mazda truck and it didn't take much for them to total it. I was apologetic and sorry and the people, a man and his son on their way to the lake for a day of fishing, were very understanding. Your pride will recover. Happy car-hunting!

·
Registered
744 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Thanks for the wishes, all. Honestly, I feel bad that I am kind of hoping that it's totaled...I love the car but I was about to put $2500 into it to replace the transmission (synchro issues) and put in a new clutch kit. If this would've happened after doing all of that, I'd be pissed. Right now, if they total it, I'm taking my amp and CompRT sub out of the car and asking if I can possibly take the tires...literally just put brand new winters on them...less than 250 miles. Other than that, it may be for the best. I had been dealing with the transmission issues for nearly a year as it started as some crunching going into 2nd before finally not being able to use 2nd at all a month ago and the issues have simply made the car not enjoyable to drive. I have GAP insurance which will pay off the remainder of the loan I have on it (pretty upside down right now) so I'm not worried about that.

Again, I stand by my opinion that the Focus ST is one of the best beginner cars to get into the manual/turbo world but I think I've grown out of it by now. If the car doesn't end up totaled, I'll do the work to the trans and hopefully that'll renew my love for her. If it is totaled, I did some looking around and was approved for a much better finance loan than I had with my ST. At the very least, I won't be going back to FWD. I hope to get a V8/RWD or some sort of AWD but we'll see.

I'll keep you guys posted as I learn more.

·
Super Moderator
2017 Ford Fusion Sport
8,198 Posts
Thanks for the wishes, all. Honestly, I feel bad that I am kind of hoping that it's totaled...I love the car but I was about to put $2500 into it to replace the transmission (synchro issues) and put in a new clutch kit. If this would've happened after doing all of that, I'd be pissed. Right now, if they total it, I'm taking my amp and CompRT sub out of the car and asking if I can possibly take the tires...literally just put brand new winters on them...less than 250 miles. Other than that, it may be for the best. I had been dealing with the transmission issues for nearly a year as it started as some crunching going into 2nd before finally not being able to use 2nd at all a month ago and the issues have simply made the car not enjoyable to drive. I have GAP insurance which will pay off the remainder of the loan I have on it (pretty upside down right now) so I'm not worried about that.

Again, I stand by my opinion that the Focus ST is one of the best beginner cars to get into the manual/turbo world but I think I've grown out of it by now. If the car doesn't end up totaled, I'll do the work to the trans and hopefully that'll renew my love for her. If it is totaled, I did some looking around and was approved for a much better finance loan than I had with my ST. At the very least, I won't be going back to FWD. I hope to get a V8/RWD or some sort of AWD but we'll see.

I'll keep you guys posted as I learn more.
I'm still waiting on someone on here to buy the new Kia Stinger...which actually looks damn incredible. Buy that if it's totalled :cool: it might be a Kia...but the same could be said by them about buying Ford...

·
Registered
530 Posts
I'm still waiting on someone on here to buy the new Kia Stinger...which actually looks damn incredible. Buy that if it's totalled :cool: it might be a Kia...but the same could be said by them about buying Ford...
Except the fully loaded Stinger GT with AWD is 50K MSRP..

And no fun 3rd pedal which makes me sad

·
Super Moderator
2017 Ford Fusion Sport
8,198 Posts
Except the fully loaded Stinger GT with AWD is 50K MSRP..

And no fun 3rd pedal which makes me sad
Yeah the trims are odd. Base is only $32k which is attractive...but AWD over RWD brings it up to 40 then the limited models add another 5-10k and it QUICKLY gets ridiculous. The lack of the 3rd pedal blows big time, but we all know it's dying :( I hope it holds on but it's getting less and less common. The performance of the Stinger makes me want to look past the auto

Edit: Oh, and let me add this...look up the curb weight. WTF

·
Registered
530 Posts
Yeah the trims are odd. Base is only $32k which is attractive...but AWD over RWD brings it up to 40 then the limited models add another 5-10k and it QUICKLY gets ridiculous. The lack of the 3rd pedal blows big time, but we all know it's dying :( I hope it holds on but it's getting less and less common. The performance of the Stinger makes me want to look past the auto

Edit: Oh, and let me add this...look up the curb weight. WTF
I agree on the looking past the auto for this one. My roommate keeps saying there's no reason to buy an RS or STI etc because now you're in "Audi territory" but I'd rather drive a 45-50k MSRP fully loaded sports car with the fun pedal as opposed to an equivalant luxury brand with more power. I don't care if it's faster or more comfortable, it's less fun. This car could break the status quo on that though. I was reading through the stats the other day and it's truly revolutionary. It's a tank, you're right it's freaking heavy, but it's bridging the gap between so many different classes of cars. It's boosted (younger guys), V6 (stepping into USDM light muscle now), 4cyl (more pedestrian customers, CVT WRX, auto GTI), Twin turbo (power junkies), Kia is trying to be luxury (luxury customers), paddle shifters (most enthusiats), RWD (back to muscle guys and track guys), FREAKING AVAILaBLE AS AN OPTION AWD WTF EVEN IS THAT (people who want to have fun with power and hook, snow, whatever, who doesn't want AWD), sedan (kids in the back), not a huge sedan (people who don't like dropping anchor at Walmart). This car appeals to so many different people because of all it's available options. Disregarding price, the only people that this car does not cater to are the manual only people, and economy commuters.

Reactions: brian60

·
Super Moderator
2017 Ford Fusion Sport
8,198 Posts
I agree on the looking past the auto for this one. My roommate keeps saying there's no reason to buy an RS or STI etc because now you're in "Audi territory" but I'd rather drive a 45-50k MSRP fully loaded sports car with the fun pedal as opposed to an equivalant luxury brand with more power. I don't care if it's faster or more comfortable, it's less fun. This car could break the status quo on that though. I was reading through the stats the other day and it's truly revolutionary. It's a tank, you're right it's freaking heavy, but it's bridging the gap between so many different classes of cars. It's boosted (younger guys), V6 (stepping into USDM light muscle now), 4cyl (more pedestrian customers, CVT WRX, auto GTI), Twin turbo (power junkies), Kia is trying to be luxury (luxury customers), paddle shifters (most enthusiats), RWD (back to muscle guys and track guys), FREAKING AVAILaBLE AS AN OPTION AWD WTF EVEN IS THAT (people who want to have fun with power and hook, snow, whatever, who doesn't want AWD), sedan (kids in the back), not a huge sedan (people who don't like dropping anchor at Walmart). This car appeals to so many different people because of all it's available options. Disregarding price, the only people that this car does not cater to are the manual only people, and economy commuters.
Yup. Honestly dude...Kia or not...it's like a BEAUTIFUL car. And it's so customizable to however you want. Kia changed the game all by themselves. It's wild and I REALLY want to test drive one if possible.

1 - 20 of 34 Posts