Ford Focus ST Forum banner

1 - 20 of 76 Posts

·
Registered
475 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well I didn't but my son-in-law did, and OMG he's taking it way worse than I am, he's absolutely devastated but he is OK and that's the main thing.
A little detail, we went down to San Diego for the weekend to see the kids. My son-in-law has this bad ass three cylinder Yamaha that's an absolute rocket ship, so we did a little switcheroo he took the car I went for a nice ride along the beach he didn't have very good luck. I'm so bummed:crying:

IMG_2946.JPG

·
Registered
141 Posts
I'm sorry to hear that man, that sucks. But at least everyone is ok

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

·
Registered
917 Posts
Dang! What did he hit?

·
Registered
475 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Dang! What did he hit?
A Jeep. Slid right under it and did nothing to the Jeep. By the time I got there the jeep was gone, they exchanged information and took some pictures and the other guy said, I got to go man good luck.

And thanks for the kind words guys, I don't know if this is fully sunk in yet. I love that car man!

·
Premium Member
687 Posts
Haha this is more an advertisement for jeeps than anything isnt it?

Sorry about this man. I would be furious, my first thoughts are that he was careless. STs really do have more power than one would expect. But lets try to give him benefit of the doubt I guess.

Nothing that cannot be fixed I do not think? $2000-3000K lets hope, end of day just money. Make buddy work it off painting your fence at $10/hour or something.

·
Registered
565 Posts

Sorry about this man. I would be furious, my first thoughts are that he was careless. STs really do have more power than one would expect. But lets try to give him benefit of the doubt I guess.

Nothing that cannot be fixed I do not think? $2000-3000K lets hope, end of day just money. Make buddy work it off painting your fence at $10/hour or something.
IDK, I have seen what an ST looks like after hitting a car going 40. He had all engine mounts broken and the engine shoved backwards, but it looked about the same as the OPs car after, except my friends crash was lower which is even more protected from damage. So atleast the intake manifold on OPs was smashed in and that would cause the engine to move as well, hopefully not too bad but prepare for it to be considered totaled.

EDIT: Also wanted to point out that the core support was smashed into the fuse box behind the filter box, which is at the engine if not a bit further in.

·
Registered
421 Posts
Damn bro that sucks, glad everyone is OK!

·
Super Moderator
2017 Ford Fusion Sport
8,194 Posts

There is not a chance that it will be UNDER $10k of damage right there. I wouldn't be surprised if they totaled it to be honest.

My car got the drivers side fender, and ONLY the fender, crumpled by my aunt. Total bill was $1404. Hood will be over $2k, front bumper piece will probably be $3+k, the damaged engine components will be over a grand I'm sure, our headlights are over a grand EACH in some places, etc.

Glad he is okay, @CaliJoe that is the biggest positive from this for sure, but man does that suck. I'd cry, guaranteed. I couldn't imagine.

·
Registered
184 Posts

$2000-$3000? No offense but LOL. A deer hit my ST while my wife was driving recently. It really did very little damage, the bumper and grill cracked and the driver side fender had a slight dent. It was like $4300. Cars are designed for safety first, which is obviously the most important thing, but they're also designed to sacrifice the car to save the passengers.

·
Super Moderator
2017 Ford Fusion Sport
8,194 Posts
$2000-$3000? No offense but LOL. A deer hit my ST while my wife was driving recently. It really did very little damage, the bumper and grill cracked and the driver side fender had a slight dent. It was like $4300. Cars are designed for safety first, which is obviously the most important thing, but they're also designed to sacrifice the car to save the passengers.
Don't worry, I just commented on that also lol. As 2 ST owners who have experienced damage we would know how expensive our cars are, he wouldn't. So I understand why he didn't know that.

·
Registered
353 Posts
Sorry to see/read about your ST. Glad no one was hurt!

What I see is body panel damage, upper radiator support and the damage it caused going back. Engine probably broken loose and shoved back some. What I don't see is damage to the drivetrain, suspension, and subbframe, iow, no real damage below the beltline. I think this one can be fixed.

·
Registered
64 Posts
Sorry to hear about your ST and that no one got hurt.

2 weeks ago, I had a fight with a fallen tree and it won. It was a very windy day and the tree fell right in front of my ST with no time to react. The damage was to the front bumper, hood, right A pillar, right mirror, both headlights and tons of scratches on all 4 doors. The appraisal was finalized early last week at a whooping $12k; I was shocked at the total: they are expensive to fix.

IMG_0375.JPG IMG_0380.JPG IMG_0382.JPG IMG_0383.JPG

·
Registered
1,763 Posts
Ick! ST carnage! I hit a deer but it only did front fascia damage and busted the IC and shutter system. $3500. Glad everyone is OK. Son-in-laws are OK despite this sort of thing. Don't be too hard on him!

·
Registered
475 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Hey guys, thanks for the kind words. Here's a few more pics, little closer shots. Holy crap, these cars do it sounds expensive to fix reading some of your stories. My poor son in law, it's tearing him up big time. He says if they don't total it he'll buy it from me for full price so I can go get a brand-new one. He's a good kid!

The hood didn't come unlatched so it pulled the front crossmember up and it may have tweaked the left top sub frame if that's what it is?

IMG_2957.JPG IMG_2959.JPG IMG_2964.JPG IMG_2966.JPG

·
Super Moderator
2017 Ford Fusion Sport
8,194 Posts
I still am about have tempted to say it will be totaled. The car is only worth "14 thousand" according to most estimates...and this is definitely more than that if I had to guess.

·
Registered
475 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
I still am about have tempted to say it will be totaled. The car is only worth "14 thousand" according to most estimates...and this is definitely more than that if I had to guess.
I kind of hope they do because they're never the same after they've been smashed, but it will be bitter sweet because other than that idle dip, I think I got one of the good ones. No flashing lights, no codes or anything like that. And jeez with all these horror stories going around I'm not sure if I want to get another one, but oh how I love that little car! Crying on the inside:crying:

·
Super Moderator
2017 Ford Fusion Sport
8,194 Posts
I kind of hope they do because they're never the same after they've been smashed, but it will be bitter sweet because other than that idle dip, I think I got one of the good ones. No flashing lights, no codes or anything like that. And jeez with all these horror stories going around I'm not sure if I want to get another one, but oh how I love that little car! Crying on the inside:crying:
Hey just remember, there will always be more bad than good on forums because people don't openly post "MAN, my car is so perfectly running and has no issues!" as often as they do "Help I have a problem!" so there is wayyyyy more people without problems than people WITH problems, they just don't post as much because they don't need to. I'd get another ST if something happened to mine in a heartbeat. I agree with you 100% though, if it gets repaired and not totaled I would be furious.

·
Registered
475 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Hey just remember, there will always be more bad than good on forums because people don't openly post "MAN, my car is so perfectly running and has no issues!" as often as they do "Help I have a problem!" so there is wayyyyy more people without problems than people WITH problems, they just don't post as much because they don't need to. I'd get another ST if something happened to mine in a heartbeat. I agree with you 100% though, if it gets repaired and not totaled I would be furious.
True!

Well if they don't total it I might just have to take the son-in-law up on his offer.

And I just found out this is probably going to be a hit on my insurance, if that's the case no one will ever drive my ST again, ever! :furious:

1 - 20 of 76 Posts