Ford Focus ST Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Anyone know what the new updates are to the CPE lightweight FMIC? I’m not entirely sold on CPE either, since I know Steeda and Depo are the same design. I’ve read intercooler threads on here for 3+ hours and have come to the conclusion that I have no idea which one to get. I’m not tuned, and everything is basically stock (minus a turbosmart 50/50 which was on the car already when I bought it). I’ve had the car fall flat on its face in the Florida heat and need a new FMIC, I just don’t know which one.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
That’s kinda what I gathered about Depo. There’s a lot of good reviews, but there’s some that have made me skeptical. I’m still leaning towards the CPE. Is there really a drastic difference between the 3.5” and 5.5”? That’s something I couldn’t really find an answer to in my research

·
Premium Member
13,245 Posts
Either 3.5 or 5.5 is fine especially for the stock turbo. I run the 5.5 myself with the stock turbo. Turbo lag isn't bad. You will have slightly better spool with the lightweight. But it's really not much different. Both can also handle a big turbo just fine.

Sent from my ONEPLUS A6013 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Cool man, appreciate the help. I have no plans to go big turbo, so as long as the 3.5 can handle Florida heat, I’ll be happy haha.

·
Registered
500 Posts
The Gen 2 lightweight has diverters in the end tanks that help direct airflow in a more linear fashion through the core. They have computer models showing that normally the interia of the air causes it to round the corner then bounce toward the back of the core in a standard intercooler. So the diverters help align the airflow for more effective and even heat transfer through each tube.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts