Ford Focus ST Forum banner
1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
88 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys. So I did this install yesterday. Everything went great. Seeing much lower temps!! Anyway I'm questioning whether I needed to put this air duct back on. Honestly I just don't like the way it looks. Do I really need it? This pic is PRE install by the way. Let me know your thoughts.
Thanks!

Attachments

·
Premium Member
13,973 Posts
Hey guys. So I did this install yesterday. Everything went great. Seeing much lower temps!! Anyway I'm questioning whether I needed to put this air duct back on. Honestly I just don't like the way it looks. Do I really need it? This pic is PRE install by the way. Let me know your thoughts.
Thanks!
I don't believe you can reinstall the air ducting. If you can great. I think it would take some doing.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G935A using Tapatalk

·
Registered
88 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I don't believe you can reinstall the air ducting. If you can great. I think it would take some doing.

Thanks for chiming in. Maybe I'm not calling the piece by the right name? It's that giant piece of rubber that sits in front of the intercooler. It's goes right back in without any issues. Screws into its existing spot. Just doesn't seem to have much purpose.

·
Premium Member
13,973 Posts
Thanks for chiming in. Maybe I'm not calling the piece by the right name? It's that giant piece of rubber that sits in front of the intercooler. It's goes right back in without any issues. Screws into its existing spot. Just doesn't seem to have much purpose.
It does help helps the air from spilling over the intercooler. I know with the larger version it doesn't fit.

·
Registered
1,900 Posts
I installed the Steeda Street/Strip FMIC on my 2013, which is the same as the smaller cp-e. I originally deleted all of the shrouds. But, on hot summer days while doing sustained highway driving, I saw my oil temp gauge start to creep above the halfway mark. I also saw charge air temps going up after repeated back to back pulls. With no shrouds in place, there's lots of room for air flow to go around the FMIC and radiator (instead of going through).

So I did the following and saw my temps drop dramatically:

First, I removed the blades from the active grill shutter frame, and cut off the bottom half so that the bottom was just above the top of the FMIC when it was reinstalled.

Next, I reused the upper radiator shroud as per stock.

Lastly, I bolted back up the bottom FMIC shroud as I found it just contacted the front of the FMIC when everything was bolted back up.

Airflow leakage issue solved, and temps came way back down.

Yes, the bottom shroud blocks a little of the FMIC's frontal area, but with a bar and plate design, there is much more mass to the FMIC versus a tube and fin design like the stock FMIC or the Mountune, so more heat transfer capacity available.

Works great, and looks essentially stock from the outside, which has its plusses and minuses.

Hope that helps,
Mark

·
Registered
88 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks for the info guys! And good to know those pieces are called "shrouds". Never knew that. I'll just leave that piece on then. Either way I'm enjoying those cooler temps. The difference is absolutely amazing!

·
Registered
15 Posts
I have ordered a CPE Lightweight Intercooler and can not wait to try it out. Sounds like the best bang for the buck. If you guys have any good info for me please reply. I am new to the forum.

·
Super Moderator
1,692 Posts
I have the Lightweight, the rubber air dam/shroud shouldn't be needed. You're just restricting airflow. Since installing my CP-e, my oil temp Guage has never gone past the mid-mark. This FMIC is awesome.

·
Registered
375 Posts
I have the lightweight CPE as well. I’m not a fan. It works good and all that but it’s mounting is kind of pathetic. Just 2 little tabs and really chinsy bolts. It’s not secure without some ingenuity. I regret buying it and the CPE exhale kit. That kit is absolute crap.

·
Premium Member
13,973 Posts
I have the lightweight CPE as well. I’m not a fan. It works good and all that but it’s mounting is kind of pathetic. Just 2 little tabs and really chinsy bolts. It’s not secure without some ingenuity. I regret buying it and the CPE exhale kit. That kit is absolute crap.
I've been running the Delta core IC for years with no issues. I auto x and have hit some really rough roads. No damage or failing mounts. Curious why you think these are crap products?

Sent from my ONEPLUS A6013 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
375 Posts
I've been running the Delta core IC for years with no issues. I auto x and have hit some really rough roads. No damage or failing mounts. Curious why you think these are crap products?

The intercooler is just a little ghetto with only those 2 tabs and the tiny little bolts it comes with. Most other intercooler a have more secure mounting for sure.

And the exhale kit. It just fits like garbage. Mitch, their tuner is a really good buy but I wouldn’t buy any more of their products. Their engine mounts are nice prices though. I have them.

·
Premium Member
13,973 Posts
The intercooler is just a little ghetto with only those 2 tabs and the tiny little bolts it comes with. Most other intercooler a have more secure mounting for sure.

And the exhale kit. It just fits like garbage. Mitch, their tuner is a really good buy but I wouldn’t buy any more of their products. Their engine mounts are nice prices though. I have them.
Again the mounts are just fine. Held my 5.5" cp-e intercooler for over four years now. The charge pipe is a snug fit but I wouldn't say it's garbage. Most people drop the lower core support to give them selves more room. Personally didn't find this necessary although I do see why people do it.

·
Registered
375 Posts
Again the mounts are just fine. Held my 5.5" cp-e intercooler for over four years now. The charge pipe is a snug fit but I wouldn't say it's garbage. Most people drop the lower core support to give them selves more room. Personally didn't find this necessary although I do see why people do it.

I never said it failed. I never said it wouldn’t hold. I just said that it’s not designed as well as all the others and it’s not as stable or solid and seems cheaper than it’s competitors.

And I didn’t say anything about the install. I said the exhale kit has terrible fitment, which anyone else that has it will agree completely given the fact that every time someone asks about it, the replies suggest against the exhale kit and recommend others on the market.

·
Administrator
12,913 Posts

Lol, its the factory OEM mounting system that many aftermarket FMIC use. I run a 5.5" core on the same mounts. Theres like no failures of that setup, it may seem subpar, but it performs without issue. Its been road jumped quite a few times as well. The charge pipes hold on to the fmic as well, so its supported by more than the tabs. We all felt kinda meh about the oem mounting tabs. They have proven themselves over the last 7 years of abiuse though.

If you think the exhale kit fits like garbage, i cant imagine what you'd say if you bought the JBR kit, lmfao!

CP-e exhale kit fits precisely, and takes a bit to install. Its a tight area between the rad fan and the engine, then trying to fit a bov in there is hard. I don't know how anyone can do it better, its not a poor design or fit, its a poor install/installer.

·
Premium Member
13,973 Posts
I never said it failed. I never said it wouldn’t hold. I just said that it’s not designed as well as all the others and it’s not as stable or solid and seems cheaper than it’s competitors.

And I didn’t say anything about the install. I said the exhale kit has terrible fitment, which anyone else that has it will agree completely given the fact that every time someone asks about it, the replies suggest against the exhale kit and recommend others on the market.
Never seen someone say to get rid of the cp-e exhale kit to buy someone else and I've been on the forum for over 7 years.

·
Registered
375 Posts
Lol, its the factory OEM mounting system that many aftermarket FMIC use. I run a 5.5" core on the same mounts. Theres like no failures of that setup, it may seem subpar, but it performs without issue. Its been road jumped quite a few times as well. The charge pipes hold on to the fmic as well, so its supported by more than the tabs. We all felt kinda meh about the oem mounting tabs. They have proven themselves over the last 7 years of abiuse though.

If you think the exhale kit fits like garbage, i cant imagine what you'd say if you bought the JBR kit, lmfao!

CP-e exhale kit fits precisely, and takes a bit to install. Its a tight area between the rad fan and the engine, then trying to fit a bov in there is hard. I don't know how anyone can do it better, its not a poor design or fit, its a poor install/installer.
It’s nothing to do with the install. It’s like the most basic thing you can install. GTFO here with that crap. Does it fit in the space? Yea. Does it do it well? No. There is a reason that it’s never recommended...

·
Registered
375 Posts
Never seen someone say to get rid of the cp-e exhale kit to buy someone else and I've been on the forum for over 7 years.

It happens on the Facebook groups whenever the subject comes up...

And I never said anything about getting rid of it. I said it happens when people ask about it.

1 - 20 of 27 Posts