Ford Focus ST Forum banner

1 - 20 of 34 Posts

·
Registered
84 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Got my 5.5" intercooler in today and opened to check it out. On the map sensor side the area where the piping attaches is out of round but only very slightly.
I've already contacted CPE and am waiting on their response but in the meantime I want to get your opinions.
The box it was delivered in was in good shape and the packing inside also good. The coating on the ic is good...Is this even an issue? I ask because when I upgrade to aluminum piping my fear is that it could cause leaks/not seat well or whatever.

1011171451b.jpg

1011171453.jpg

·
Premium Member
1,055 Posts
The silicone adapter might seal but i would want it corrected.

·
Registered
47 Posts
I'd be concerned about the point that the band clamp will sit. I'd wait and see what they say, I think you need to post a few more pics @ different angles

Sent from my LG-H918 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
84 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I'd be concerned about the point that the band clamp will sit. I'd wait and see what they say, I think you need to post a few more pics @ different angles

I'll take more pics once I get it home.

Its out of round enough that I noticed it right away so I'm betting I'll have to send it back. Guess my weekend plans are cancelled.

·
Registered
47 Posts
I would err on the side of caution and definitely keep the car in one piece until you find out

·
Premium Member
1,152 Posts
Seems like an easy fix with the right tools, maybe like an exhaust flaring tool to round it back.

·
Registered
84 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Seems like an easy fix with the right tools, maybe like an exhaust flaring tool to round it back.
I get what you are saying and agree that it would probably be easy with the right tools to fix... BUT, it is not right to spend money on a supposedly well engineered part just to have to fix it. I will not do that. I paid hard earned money and I want it right or I'd better get a freaking MAJOR discount up front!!

On to pics. It was very hard to get good pictures of it as the camera leaves "something" out. First is the cold(bad) side. Second is the hot(good) side.

For clarity I took measurements with calibrated caliper and the damaged side is 53.57mm ID by 55.84mm ID (right to left) - 64.54mm OD by 67.52mm OD (top to bottom).
The good side is 55.05mm by 55.22mm ID -- 66.40mm by 66.75mm OD.

Piping-2.jpg

Piping-1.jpg

To show that this is a manufacturers defect, here is a couple pictures of the box it was shipped in.

CPE-Box2.jpg

CPE-Box1.jpg

Reactions: angrychair

·
Registered
179 Posts
Doesn't look acceptable to me especially for that amount of coin!

·
Premium Member
1,152 Posts
Yeah maybe they will give you a $100 discount or something, then you can go rent the tool from "insert autoparts store here" and return the rental tool and be up $100.

·
Registered
84 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I was contacted by CP-E and told that it is good for install. I'm still a little concerned and really hope that I don't have any issues after installation.

Their response said that it looks like it happened during shipping...I'm not sure how that could have happened since the box had absolutely zero damage.
This is my first CPE product...potentially also the last depending on what all happens. Will just have to wait and see.

·
Premium Member
1,055 Posts
they wouldnt replace it?

·
Registered
84 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
they wouldnt replace it?
I had called and then emailed the pictures yesterday. They replied to the email and said they think is is ok.

I'm torn as to pursuing getting a replacement...

·
Premium Member
1,055 Posts
Me i would want it replaced... suck to put it on then it leaks.

·
Registered
220 Posts
So they basically are telling you, they think they stand behind their product, but aren't sure. Return it and go with a different brand. Find the vendor who helps you and not their pocket.

·
Registered
84 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
So they basically are telling you, they think they stand behind their product, but aren't sure. Return it and go with a different brand. Find the vendor who helps you and not their pocket.
I have been contacting them again through email. I'll update when I see the response. I can't see that shipping was the cause. The box/packing material is fine.
Their warranty statement clearly covers manufacturer defect...I guess it's when/if they accept fault.

Slippery slope.

·
Premium Member
1,055 Posts
No phone number to call them directly?

·
Registered
84 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
No phone number to call them directly?
Yes, but I prefer email anyways. That way I have a record of the discussion for reference.
It should be noted that they have been good to work with and very responsive.
The last email I received I was confidently told that my fmic will work and I wont have boost leaks. They offered to do an exchange if I still wished.

I'm taking the risk to keep it since they have a lifetime warranty and I have a record of the whole conversation including the promise of a working product.

·
Premium Member
1,055 Posts
just make sure the connector is all way on and it should seal... I can see you wanting to install i would hate to get something and be jacked up about installing and have to return it and wait.

·
Super Moderator
2017 Ford Fusion Sport
8,194 Posts
I would be highly tempted to have it replaced or at least get incentive from them and you fix it yourself. It is a small thing, but a potentially bigger thing if it causes leaks. I'm surprised they aren't just eating this one to help a customer a little..

1 - 20 of 34 Posts