Ford Focus ST Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
2,910 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
We all know CP-E makes quality products, and I'm not attempting to blast them. I'm just curious if this has happened to anyone else or not. Or, if anyone knows why this happened.

I noticed when I parked my ST in the garage yesterday and popped the hood open to let the engine cool (pretty sure heat caused it). That the lid of my airbox was bowing up and not seated correctly anymore.

I don't recall ever noticing this before. I'm not sure if the plexiglass deformed (expanded from heat) or the airbox did, but one of them definately shifted shape. When I get home today I'll check and see if it "un-deformed" and returned to normal.

Thoughts?

QYOGReT.jpg

@www.cp-e.com

·
Registered
2,910 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I've had that happen. Loosen the screws, push it flat, tighten the screws. Sometimes the plexi doesn't like heat.
Ill give that a try. I just got home after letting it set for a day and it was still bowing. Thanks unfocused

·
Registered
359 Posts
Try hearing them up in the oven and sandwich them in between something heavy. Flatten them back out and reinstall. Is there an opportunity to add more screws? Or possibly some of that super sticky rubber tape?

Go Jays Go.

·
Registered
2,910 Posts
Discussion Starter #5 (Edited)
So it got a little better when I did that until I drove the car again and it basically just returned to the bowed shape. I wish it was symmetrical so I could just flip it over. :(

It's not just that edge, the other side's do it too, that's just the most pronounced side.

·
Registered
557 Posts
We all know CP-E makes quality products, and I'm not attempting to blast them. I'm just curious if this has happened to anyone else or not. Or, if anyone knows why this happened.

I noticed when I parked my ST in the garage yesterday and popped the hood open to let the engine cool (pretty sure heat caused it). That the lid of my airbox was bowing up and not seated correctly anymore.

I don't recall ever noticing this before. I'm not sure if the plexiglass deformed (expanded from heat) or the airbox did, but one of them definately shifted shape. When I get home today I'll check and see if it "un-deformed" and returned to normal.

Thoughts?

View attachment 128591

@www.cp-e.com
Please shoot us an email [email protected] if you can attach the invoice and the pictures along with an explanation we will take care of it for you.

·
Registered
2,910 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Got a solution/resolution from CPE. Posting it here as a general FYI if anyone in the future ever searches this post up.

"Sorry about the delayed response in regard to your issue with the intake box. Unfortunately, we have had several people report similar issues with the air box lid deforming a bit. We have since updated our design to take care of this problem moving forward. Essentially, all we did was enlarge the mounting holes on the plexi glass lid to provide a larger tolerance for the 10-32 mounting bolts. This, in turn, allows the plexi glass lid to remain firmly seated against the box throughout small thermal expansion and contraction of the box itself.

If you are open to it and have the tools easily accessible, I would suggest taking a ¼” or 5/16” drill bit and enlarging all four mounting holes. This should be a quick 2-minute job for you and should yield the same results. Of course, if you would rather than not mess with it or don’t have access to a drill, we would be happy to send you an updated lid so you can just switch them out, but either way it should be a very simple fix. Just let me know which way you want to proceed.

If you have any more questions regarding anything, feel free to contact me. Thanks again for your support and sorry again for the trouble with the intake. Also, If you do decide to drill them out, let me know how it goes after you get a chance to drive around on it awhile."

otherwise... /thread

1 - 9 of 9 Posts