Ford Focus ST Forum banner

1 - 20 of 49 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ive seen the sticky of the ST FMIC Thread, but from what I've found thats just available FMIC's and prices and specs. Does anyone have dyno sheets that show charge temps for their CP-e lightweight and anyone have the mountune? Curious to see the difference in temps between the two. I'd go Cobb, but I really dont want to drill for it to work.

·
Super Moderator
2017 Ford Fusion Sport
8,194 Posts
Ive seen the sticky of the ST FMIC Thread, but from what I've found thats just available FMIC's and prices and specs. Does anyone have dyno sheets that show charge temps for their CP-e lightweight and anyone have the mountune? Curious to see the difference in temps between the two. I'd go Cobb, but I really dont want to drill for it to work.
I don't have any numbers for the lightweight. I do know people have been happy with it and I believe it's cheaper than the Mountune.

Sent from another garage.
My lightweight performs amazingly. If you aren't going big turbo it's more than you'll ever need (it will still work for Big Turbo). On a 4th gear pull from 3k to redline it'll rise like 6 degrees at the very most...which is awesome. Cruising it stays at ambient the entire time, only climbs if you are REALLY pushing the car.

Edit: The CP-E is also 14.6% larger of an intercooler core for a much smaller pricetag...should be an easy choice.

·
Registered
768 Posts
So here's the problem with this thread. You're comparing apples and bananas instead of apples and apples. Comparing the CP-E to say a Cobb or something would be a fair comparison. Comparing to Mountune is not.

The Mountune is a different design and layout from almost every other IC that's out there that I have looked into.

I'll save you the research now...every IC designed like the Cobb or CP will have much lower charge temps than the Mountune. The tube and fin design is not as efficient.

HOWEVER, the Mountune will provide more airflow through it and to the radiator/engine. A good comparison might be to say a traditional IC would be good for drag racing or short bursts, but the Mountune design is going to be better for road racing or sustained rpm's/sustained higher speeds.

Charge temps are not the end all-be all factor of an IC's capability, and the higher temps of the Mountune do NOT make it an inferior IC. You just need to decide what you need and what fits your car better. People will ***** and complain about spending that much money for the Mountune when it has higher charge temps! Sorry bro, not the whole picture. The Mountune is awesome for what it does and it has its place.

·
Registered
95 Posts
So here's the problem with this thread. You're comparing apples and bananas instead of apples and apples. Comparing the CP-E to say a Cobb or something would be a fair comparison. Comparing to Mountune is not.

The Mountune is a different design and layout from almost every other IC that's out there that I have looked into.

I'll save you the research now...every IC designed like the Cobb or CP will have much lower charge temps than the Mountune. The tube and fin design is not as efficient.

HOWEVER, the Mountune will provide more airflow through it and to the radiator/engine. A good comparison might be to say a traditional IC would be good for drag racing or short bursts, but the Mountune design is going to be better for road racing or sustained rpm's/sustained higher speeds.

Charge temps are not the end all-be all factor of an IC's capability, and the higher temps of the Mountune do NOT make it an inferior IC. You just need to decide what you need and what fits your car better. People will ***** and complain about spending that much money for the Mountune when it has higher charge temps! Sorry bro, not the whole picture. The Mountune is awesome for what it does and it has its place.
Well said. And also, because mountune...

·
Registered
206 Posts
I went with Mountune as well due to that reason. Being at a higher elevation, I needed a FMIC that still let plenty of air through to the radiator.
The price is more steep, but follow them on Facebook and sign up for their email newsletter and eventually a 15% off coupon code will find its way to you. That's how I did mine!

·
Registered
279 Posts
Mountune- if you want the very best for build quality, minimum pressure drop, airflow to your engine n radiator, lower charge temps to keep going on and on in street or race track..... Rest Fmic- if you are on budget, don't care about weight, poor design or quality, you think only lower charge temps makes a good fmic.

·
Super Moderator
2017 Ford Fusion Sport
8,194 Posts
Mountune- if you want the very best for build quality, minimum pressure drop, airflow to your engine n radiator, lower charge temps to keep going on and on in street or race track..... Rest Fmic- if you are on budget, don't care about weight, poor design or quality, you think only lower charge temps makes a good fmic.
Now this answer here is just BS and biased lol the other ones have legitimate solid points though. Ignore this dude.

·
Premium Member
13,880 Posts
All intercoolers allow airflow to the radiator. Also the cp-e doesn't block as much of the radiator like the Mountune does.

Sent from another garage.

·
Registered
279 Posts
I see a lot of mountune fmic cars on track. It's smaller in width than stock fmic and very lightweight. Don't have experience on the CPE though I read a lot of good things about it from other users. Is it tube n fin too?

·
Registered
2,101 Posts
Mountune was my first intercooler. BY FAR worst intercooler out there. Terrible temps also got so hot caused knock on my car. Next I had ATP knock went away but still not super low temps was good till i went big turbo. Cpe (big one) last best performance out ther for our car bottom line. If you want a well made over priced ic go mountune otherwise go with performance overprice cpe or both (depo racing)

·
Registered
279 Posts
Mountune was my first intercooler. BY FAR worst intercooler out there. Terrible temps also got so hot caused knock on my car. Next I had ATP knock went away but still not super low temps was good till i went big turbo. Cpe (big one) last best performance out ther for our car bottom line. If you want a well made over priced ic go mountune otherwise go with performance overprice cpe or both (depo racing)
Thanks for your brief review. Well noted. Surprising that you got a knock from it as I have seen Pro Alloy unit been used extensively both for stock and touring cars since 2005 for the ST MK2 and now MK3 on race track. I have used Moutune and its worked perfectly fine for me with our extreme climate. For us we get Euro brands ie, Moutune, Airtec, Wargner and Forge which are much cheaper than getting Cobb, Steeda or CPE unit.

Wish I could try this highly acclaimed CPE unit. Shame I can’t get my hands on it because since it weighs a lot the shipping cost make it highly overpriced than the Euro intercoolers we get here.

Reactions: Stealth

·
Registered
334 Posts

So what other units have you tested, experienced or even seen first hand that qualifies you to make this statement?

·
Registered
187 Posts
I have the Mountune and don't see more than 10+ degrees over ambient after multiple pulls.

In fact, I don't even mount my AP on my car that often anymore since I trust my Tune and the Mountune parts I have so much. People in extremely tough climates have used the Mountune unit with much success. Including a professional level.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
1,215 Posts
So what other units have you tested, experienced or even seen first hand that qualifies you to make this statement?
I am curious too, it's weird that charge temps aren't an indicator if the intercoolers quality, since that's the whole reason to get a new one. It's also curious statement on fitment and finish since CP-E, COBB and others are all top notch in those respects. Maybe he just read about the deepo needing some adjustments or something?

·
Registered
187 Posts
I think the main consensus is that just because an Intercooler has slightly better temps than another doesn't automatically make the other one substantially worse.

The main point is they are used for different purposes. Anything is better than the stock Intercooler, period.

Most of the big turbo builds use CP-E, but there have been numerous builds with other Intercoolers past 375whp with paramount reliability.
@Tarrant64 has the Mountune Intercooler and he TRACKS his with the Mountune Intercooler with a tune north of 360whp.

Bugasu was making 450whp on the stock block with a tread stone Intercooler, gobal was pass 400whp at one point with the ATP(although he also had a small jet of WMI).

Quite a few others have gotten towards 400whp with the CXraxing core and of course levels as well.

·
Super Moderator
2017 Ford Fusion Sport
8,194 Posts
In my eyes...low temperature = less potential damage due to heat. For that reason, I got a PROVEN high quality/low temp. intercooler.

Mountune is a top notch brand backed by Ford itself...but tends to show much higher temperatures in a lot of peoples' cases, the CPE/Steeda/Depo intercoolers don't...and haven't ever that I've seen...was a truly simple decision on my part, and I saved hundreds of dollars.

Safety was my #1
Performance was #2
I now get amazing results for both.

·
Registered
187 Posts
I purchased mine from Mountune bundled with an AP/Tune/Motor Mount and Filter.

I paid a little over $1100 for everything so of course you factor price in when you can, but the purpose is to replace the stock Intercooler with something better which everyone ends up accomplishing.

For the OP, we want to give him as much data as possible to make a proper purchase on these two. They're both PROVEN.

Wasn't there an issue with the '15+ showing higher temperatures with the Mountune Intercooler? I know some tuners fixed it and others didn't worry about it and factored it in.

·
Registered
2,101 Posts
For what its worth My mountune intercooler was was 2014 Black pc. Don't know if that affected its performance. Also Cp-e mounting design is AWFUL I can over look that (barely) because of how it performs.

1 - 20 of 49 Posts