Ford Focus ST Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
1,900 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
It surprises me how much the cp-e Stage 1 RMM gets overlooked, so I thought I'd post a long-term review since I've had it for more than year now.

My 2013 is a daily driver (mod list in my signature) and came with the original zero NVH mount. The TSB got me the e-Focus mount and that improved things but not enough. I still had wheel hop, and that only got worse when the OEM F1s wore out and I went to Michelin PSS3 tires.

I knew I didn't want/need something as stiff as the Boomba nor the cp-e Stage 2. Mountune hadn't released their RMM yet so my choices got narrowed down to the CFM adjustable and the cp-e Stage 1. Reviews on the Cobb and the others left me feeling like I'd get too much NVH for a daily.

The cp-e Stage 1 comes with a choice of two bushing durometers: 55 and 70, and I chose the stiffer 70 (you choose when ordering).

For the first three days I thought I had made a horrible mistake; the NVH at idle was let's just say, very noticeable. I used to race national PRO Rally cars, and the NVH was comparable. But let it break in everyone said, so I did, and sure enough the NVH subsided some after about 300 miles. Still more than the e-Focus mount, but tolerable -- except for really bad NVH on closed throttle deceleration around 2,500 rpm. I seriously considered selling the mount and going with the 55 durometer model, but I waited until 1,000 miles and the decel vibes got less. Still annoying, but less. And the wheel spin was now much more controllable than the e-Focus mount.

Fast forward more than a year later... Stratified released their take on Cobb's traction control, and the mount has had more than 15K miles of use.

The car still hooks up nicely, wheel spin is still eminently controllable, and the 2,500 rpm decel NVH has subsided drastically to where it is barely noticeable. Even idle with the AC on is not that different than stock now.

Sure, some of that is me getting used to the mount I expect. And if I had it to do all over again I'd probably pick the 55 durometer mount, but I'm happy with where the car is now, and so if anyone is looking for a Stage 1 RMM, the cp-e should be in your short list IMHO.

Hope that helps,
Mark

·
Registered
497 Posts
I very naively replaced the marshmallow front mm on my old Caliber SRT4 with a solid mm. It was definitely a mixed bag. It basically eliminated torque steer and made the drive train feel more solid. But at idle with the AC on, it was miserable. Glad to read there is a happy medium to be found on this car when the time arrives! Thanks for the write up!

·
Registered
161 Posts
Thanks for the review! As I drive a ton in traffic and on road trips, I'm not interested in the super stiff mounts out there, so I've been considering the CPE stage 1. I had a similar product from CPE on my old Mazdaspeed6, and it worked beautifully as you have described.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts