Ford Focus ST Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I've had a Focus ST for over a year now and I've been a long-term lurker, but this is my first post.

I wanted to see if anyone had any thoughts on this noise that developed after I installed the CP-E FMIC.

Whenever I release the gas to switch gears, the car makes a loud noise, it's not a whistle or a bang, but more like scrape (although I feel like it is caused by airflow, not an actual scrape). It does not make this noise when I rev the car in neutral and I can't replicate when I brake sporadically (so I don't think anything loose). As best as I can tell, it sounds like it is coming from the driver side. I took everything back off and re-did all the hose connections and everything looked good. I also made sure the FMIC had plenty of clearance from the plastic crash absorber. Afterwards I hooked up my accessport (currently with stage 1 tune) and it consistently showed the charge temp at about 20*F over ambient temps and 10*F over intake temps. Boost does seem consistent however.

I recently added the CP-E intake kit, but I ran it a few times before installing the FMIC and didn't have any issues. Other mods include CBE, BOV, and RMM (but all of these have been on the car awhile).

I uploaded a sound clip but I had a hard time getting a clear recording of the noise. You can hear it pretty clearly around the 9 to 10 sec mark.

I really wish my first post wasn't a "help me" post, but hopefully someone can.

Thanks in advance

·
Registered
979 Posts
So I've had a Focus ST for over a year now and I've been a long-term lurker, but this is my first post.

I wanted to see if anyone had any thoughts on this noise that developed after I installed the CP-E FMIC.

Whenever I release the gas to switch gears, the car makes a loud noise, it's not a whistle or a bang, but more like scrape (although I feel like it is caused by airflow, not an actual scrape). It does not make this noise when I rev the car in neutral and I can't replicate when I brake sporadically (so I don't think anything loose). As best as I can tell, it sounds like it is coming from the driver side. I took everything back off and re-did all the hose connections and everything looked good. I also made sure the FMIC had plenty of clearance from the plastic crash absorber. Afterwards I hooked up my accessport (currently with stage 1 tune) and it consistently showed the charge temp at about 20*F over ambient temps and 10*F over intake temps. Boost does seem consistent however.

I recently added the CP-E intake kit, but I ran it a few times before installing the FMIC and didn't have any issues. Other mods include CBE, BOV, and RMM (but all of these have been on the car awhile).

I uploaded a sound clip but I had a hard time getting a clear recording of the noise. You can hear it pretty clearly around the 9 to 10 sec mark.

I really wish my first post wasn't a "help me" post, but hopefully someone can.

Thanks in advance
Sounds like your noticing the turbo flutter. I hear turbo spool then "bo bo bo" when you hit the clutch.

·
Registered
91 Posts
I agree with the man above me. Sounds like turbo flutter but I get what you mean because it kind of does sound like a "scraping" sound. I'm not an expert, but it doesn't sound like anything serious.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
201 Posts
Don't worry about it. You are hearing the bypass valve and the turbo. You increased the flow rate and volume in the post turbo system. That it completely natural and I had the same thing. For a little piece of mind next time you are driving shift while under boost and then again while just cruising and under vacuum. You will notice the bypass valve while under boost but it will likely be quiet under vacuum.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.