Ford Focus ST Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
737 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am upgrading my sub and using the stock box and I was wondering if I should be covering the hole in the back of the sub box that is used to mount the stock sony sub.

If I need to, how do I do it?

·
Registered
1,636 Posts
I'm not sure to what you're referring to? But if there is any hole, you plug it. you want the enclosure sealed.

I'd probably use a few layers of fiberglass and resin. expensive and messy since you'd only need a few oz of resin and a couple small patches of fabric, and they are not sold that way.
Or you could smooth out the area, use a shape of plastic panel (kydex, delrin, etc), and glue that in place with a strong epoxy gel.

·
Registered
737 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I'm not sure to what you're referring to? But if there is any hole, you plug it. you want the enclosure sealed.

I'd probably use a few layers of fiberglass and resin. expensive and messy since you'd only need a few oz of resin and a couple small patches of fabric, and they are not sold that way.
Or you could smooth out the area, use a shape of plastic panel (kydex, delrin, etc), and glue that in place with a strong epoxy gel.
I am going to cut a piece of plastic and just JB plastic weld it to the back. Should work perfect.

·
Registered
4,368 Posts
I personally think the stock sub box should be ported. Open it up a bit.
What sub are you replacing it with?

·
Registered
1,636 Posts
There are two things wrong with this approach.

1. Physics... A ported box is larger than a sealed box, almost always. Almost 2x in many cases, and the port needs to be a certain length. Rule of thumb... The smaller the ported box, the longer the port. In the case of what is in there now, I would believe any port would exceed the box length as-is. You'd have a snorkel exiting the box!
2. Unless you know the thiele-small parameters, it's impossible to just willy nilly put a port in it.

·
Registered
2,493 Posts
I am upgrading my sub and using the stock box and I was wondering if I should be covering the hole in the back of the sub box that is used to mount the stock sony sub.

If I need to, how do I do it?
I put duct tape over the inside, then silicon caulk in the hole from the outside.

·
Registered
737 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I put duct tape over the inside, then silicon caulk in the hole from the outside.
If I hadn't already drilled the sub in then I'd do that. I'm just going to put the ABS over it and it should be fine.

But thats smart!

·
Registered
737 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Its the typical rockford replacement. I've had it for a while but I decided to put a .75in spacer to lift it a bit and do the polyfil mod. Sounds good on an aftermarket amp.

I also have new front speakers and installing new rear speakers on saturday.

Reactions: Cowlynz
1 - 8 of 8 Posts