Ford Focus ST Forum banner
1 - 20 of 44 Posts

·
Registered
2,843 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys,

I parked my car into the back end of a VW last night, slow speed "minor damage"

Was wondering if anyone had first hand experience with this and how much it was to replace: hood, bumper, grill and other various pieces of plastic?

I am trying to figure out if I can at least make a positive out of this huge negative and get a carbon fiber hood. if the cost of the stock hood plus paint and labor is over the cost of a carbon fiber hood then I am going with that if I can work it out.

Otherwise just curious what the cost will be on the other bits but I will be letting a professional shop of some kind take on the work, though I can replace the parts I can not paint.

Thanks
Nick

·
Super Moderator
2017 Ford Fusion Sport
8,200 Posts
Hey guys,

I parked my car into the back end of a VW last night, slow speed "minor damage"

Was wondering if anyone had first hand experience with this and how much it was to replace: hood, bumper, grill and other various pieces of plastic?

I am trying to figure out if I can at least make a positive out of this huge negative and get a carbon fiber hood. if the cost of the stock hood plus paint and labor is over the cost of a carbon fiber hood then I am going with that if I can work it out.

Otherwise just curious what the cost will be on the other bits but I will be letting a professional shop of some kind take on the work, though I can replace the parts I can not paint.

Thanks
Nick
My front left fender replacement and repaint was a 4-day $1,600 job. Just the fender with Performance Blue paint. Pretty pricey situation on your hands, best of luck man.

Brian

·
Registered
2,843 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
My front left fender replacement and repaint was a 4-day $1,600 job. Just the fender with Performance Blue paint. Pretty pricey situation on your hands, best of luck man.

Brian
no headlights or fenders were hurt so that is good. but yeah I am sure it will be a hit on my insurance.

I have video of the accident and I am turning it in because he slammed on his brakes for no reason and no one was in front of him. not sure if it will help but I hope so.

·
Super Moderator
2017 Ford Fusion Sport
8,200 Posts
no headlights or fenders were hurt so that is good. but yeah I am sure it will be a hit on my insurance.

I have video of the accident and I am turning it in because he slammed on his brakes for no reason and no one was in front of him. not sure if it will help but I hope so.
If he did it as an arrogant brake check and you weren't excessively tailgating I've seen drivers share or get full responsibility of the accident. Thanks to your dash cam you don't have to worry about "There was a deer completely the guy behind me's fault." Like I do here in PA. Need a cam so badly. Depending on your insurance you could have accident forgiveness too, but yeah most likely a premium hike.

Sorry to hear it happened, btw.

·
Registered
1,072 Posts
Grille is $309
I know because I almost had to buy one.....

EDIT: @nickbaldwin86

Reactions: Darkdayz23

·
Registered
2,843 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
If he did it as an arrogant brake check and you weren't excessively tailgating I've seen drivers share or get full responsibility of the accident. Thanks to your dash cam you don't have to worry about "There was a deer completely the guy behind me's fault." Like I do here in PA. Need a cam so badly. Depending on your insurance you could have accident forgiveness too, but yeah most likely a premium hike.

Sorry to hear it happened, btw.
first claim I have ever put on my insurance and I am 30. it is AllState and it was very minor, no damage to his car, really hope they don't hike my payments. I owe $500 for the deduc and I don't really know if I can fight it even if I can prove it was "arrogant brake checking". Will have to see if they take the video, the guy I spoke to last night said they normally don't care in less it goes to court or has high costly damage or medical.

Ultimately it was my fault, but he isn't completely off the hook.

·
Super Moderator
2017 Ford Fusion Sport
8,200 Posts
first claim I have ever put on my insurance and I am 30. it is AllState and it was very minor, no damage to his car, really hope they don't hike my payments. I owe $500 for the deduc and I don't really know if I can fight it even if I can prove it was "arrogant brake checking". Will have to see if they take the video, the guy I spoke to last night said they normally don't care in less it goes to court or has high costly damage or medical.

well I need one for sure. :(

Thanks

Hoping someone knows the cost of a hood and paint for a MM.
With no damage to his car (damn VWs are tanks I'll give them that) it's easily able to seen as much less significant to the insurance company I think. That should help a lot towards not jacking up your premium unless they do some kind of "you got lucky you get no break." Allstate has always been great to me though so I think it won't be too bad. The repairs to your car could be over $4k though by the looks of how it's adding up at the moment..so that hurts for sure. Junkyard car with a MM hood, or a hood to be repainted anywhere?

·
Registered
1,072 Posts
well I need one for sure. :(

Thanks

Hoping someone knows the cost of a hood and paint for a MM.
Im not a paint guy, but when I asked about buying an RS spoiler and having it painted, they said it would probably be around $250 to have it painted.
Scaling that a bit for the bumper and hood, youre probably looking at close to 800-900 for paint.
Dont quote me, but that may be a somewhat decent estimate of what to expect.

I would call your dealer and get the price of the OEM parts and they can probably give you a better idea on paint cost

Reactions: nickbaldwin86

·
Registered
2,101 Posts
Got a new front bumper for three hundred. And got it painted for three hundred. If you take it off just take it to the paint place. It's a lot cheaper. They charge you labor to remove and re install

·
Registered
1,072 Posts
well if that holds true then a Carbon fiber hood it is, because no paint will make it cheaper.
Spend the big bucks on the CF hood if you get one, Ive seen what cheap ones look like after a few years of sunlight and weather...

·
Registered
2,843 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Spend the big bucks on the CF hood if you get one, Ive seen what cheap ones look like after a few years of sunlight and weather...
I was going to do the one Vivid Racing sells... $800 but I am open to suggestions, haven't really done much research, also haven't seen others.

·
Registered
1,072 Posts
I was going to do the one Vivid Racing sells... $800 but I am open to suggestions, haven't really done much research, also haven't seen others.
It looks pretty good, too bad it requires hood pins though, never was a big fan of hood pins, but thats just my opinion
If you do decide to go with it, contact @VividRacing on here, Ive heard they hook people up

·
Registered
744 Posts
I had a guy rear-end me while my car was parked getting gas...ruined the rear bumper but that was the only thing damaged. I quoted a replacement bumper off of a OEM store for a few hundred and then a few hundred more for paint. I was told to look around eBay and I was lucky that there was a non-damaged (but slightly scuffed) bumper for a normal 2012 hatchback Focus already painted OW (my color). I'm not saying you'll find one, but you may want to try eBay, Craigslist, or local scrap yards to see if you can get the parts cheaper from a rear-end totaled ST. I got my replacement bumper off of eBay for like $125 and it took me 30 minutes to replace it.

·
Registered
2,843 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
It looks pretty good, too bad it requires hood pins though, never was a big fan of hood pins, but thats just my opinion
If you do decide to go with it, contact @VividRacing on here, Ive heard they hook people up
Hood pins is a no go, didn't know it required that. like I said I have done 0 research on it but knew of the one.

Yeah VividRacing and I have had a great standing relationship, but Todd has left and I haven't been in the same contact with them as I did.

Thanks for the info tho!

·
Registered
196 Posts

Unfortunately you are probably on the hook unless he admitted guilt. It might be worthwhile to share the video with your insurance agency and make a case to avoid a rate hike. I don't know how you could quantify it because the potential rate hike is unknown but you could also do cost analysis on paying it out of pocket and avoiding insurance altogether.

·
Premium Member
2,837 Posts

We do have pretty spectacular prices for FoST owners!

·
Registered
205 Posts
Grille is $309
I know because I almost had to buy one.....

EDIT: @nickbaldwin86
I bought a grill on E-bay for $260 shipped. Even came with the ST Logo on it.
I was dumb enough to back my pickup into it and the tow ball made a nice hole in the grid.

As for the hood and bumper, I don't know but I would think that the bumper alone would be north of $500.

1 - 20 of 44 Posts