Ford Focus ST Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Super Moderator
12,420 Posts
I have a 2017 focus st and my ac compressor has gone out. and I've gotten quoted $2300 to have it replaced. does that sound a little too much?
Compressor can be had for $520.00 from Autonation Ford.

I (myself), would have the refrigerant evacuated by a local shop competent in A/C servicing, do the compressor myself and take it back to the A/C shop and have it recharged and probably save half of that money or more. The compressor lives on the bottom front of the engine and does not look to me to be too hard to remove/replace.

·
Registered
2016 ST2, Shadow Black, E30, MonsterFMIC, GFB DVX+ BPV, ALEX' ShiftBushings, PCV-OCC, Innovative RMM
3,229 Posts
If you got 134a, it's cheap. And a vacuum pump and gage set from harbor freight is not bad either. You do have to kind of know what you're doing. At least the label says how much the charge should be so you have an idea.

If 2017 is the year of the newer expensive refrigerant, maybe you can find a good shop to work with you on just the evacuate/recharge?

Anyone running catless or high flow is probably not that worried about the refrigerant. 😉

·
Registered
101 Posts
Book labor is 1.9 hours, and figure an hour or so to evacuate and recharge. The compressor, as @ddfred points out, is a little more than $500 new from Ford, but you can also get reman Four Seasons from RockAuto for about half that. So I'd say $2300 is pretty steep, $1000 would be fair.

If you can get the engine splash shield off, you're halfway there. Cut the stretch belt (or remove and reuse), then you have two nuts/bolts holding the lines (12 or 13mm IIRC), and 3 nuts holding the compressor on. Nothing else needs to be moved out of the way to get it in/out--it's pretty easy.

Make sure that while it's open that the desiccant cartridge gets replaced as well. It's less than $10, and easy to access at the bottom of the condenser.

·
Registered
36 Posts
I have a 2017 focus st and my ac compressor has gone out. and I've gotten quoted $2300 to have it replaced. does that sound a little too much?
In 2019 I had the A/C compressor and 2 Idler Pulleys replaced on our 2010 Fusion and total including parts and labor minus tax was $1521. A/C only would have been around $1200. Even with inflation $2300 seems way too high IMO.

·
Registered
2018 ST1 Magnetic Gray
1,166 Posts
Installing an A/C compressor is very easy. Install new green o-ring, do not reuse it. Can rent a vacuum pump, then take it to a shop to recharge it. Will save you a least a $1000.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts