Ford Focus ST Forum banner

1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Sorry if this is already somewhere. I tried to look but I'm terrible with computers even as a youngin'.

I live in New Jersey where we are required to have a front plate bracket on our vehicles. I never put mine on the car and don't even have the plate in the front window. I have had the vehicle for a month with no issues.

Anybody in New Jersey or other states have issues at all with cops because of it?

·
Premium Member
3,725 Posts
Sorry if this is already somewhere. I tried to look but I'm terrible with computers even as a youngin'.

I live in New Jersey where we are required to have a front plate bracket on our vehicles. I never put mine on the car and don't even have the plate in the front window. I have had the vehicle for a month with no issues.

Anybody in New Jersey or other states have issues at all with cops because of it?
I'd post in here maybe and see if someone answers. http://www.focusst.org/forum/north-eastern-owners/39224-south-jersey-st-s.html

Reactions: Spazz1308

·
Registered
141 Posts
We are required to have on in CT also, I ran my Golf TDI for 5 years with out one driving 125,000 miles to NY and NJ that being said
I just put one of these on my Focus

Ford Focus ST | Craig's Custom Mustang Brackets

I just don't want the potential hassle.
Db

Reactions: UnfocusedST

·
Registered
292 Posts
You just need to read your state statutes for mounting the front plate. In Oregon (where I live and was a Cop) you can read the law and interpret it that as long as you can see the plate, so in our cars, the dash might be possible, then you are good to go. Some states say that they actually require the front plate to be mounted to the point farthest forward on the vehicle. What state statute did the officer cite you for? It's on your citation.

·
Registered
816 Posts
I live in MA where it is required and ran without a plate for over a year. I recently put it back on so I don't get hassled and don't give them an excuse to pull me over

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
292 Posts
I recently put it back on so I don't get hassled and don't give them an excuse to pull me over

^ This. If New Jersey gave you 2 plates, you are 99.9% likely required to run both plates. Running around without a plate is way down there on the list of things cops look for, but it's easy Probable Cause for a traffic stop.....

·
Registered
206 Posts
It's not just while driving either. I've come out to my car with a Fix-It ticket on my windshield before at a movie theater. Never know when they'll drive through a parking lot and slap a ticket on every car missing a front plate in there.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
^ This. If New Jersey gave you 2 plates, you are 99.9% likely required to run both plates. Running around without a plate is way down there on the list of things cops look for, but it's easy Probable Cause for a traffic stop.....
I know that it is required by law. Just trying to get feedback as to if anybody has had issues without it. One of our members here is a cop and told me he doesn't do it. Basically saying it depends on the cop. But more feedback is always better!

·
Registered
277 Posts
I'm in Texas and I'm pretty sure front plates are required. But I don't run them and have never been bothered about it, even though I've been pulled over for speeding. My father also does not run front plates on his cars and he never gets hassled. But YMMV.

·
Registered
381 Posts
I've only known of one cop to bother with it, and he was parking duty. Basically if you backed into a spot and he had to spend the effort walking to the back of your car for the number he would write you a ticket for it. The majority of cars around here don't run with front plates and personally I think it's a stupid law but it is what it is.

·
Registered
1,173 Posts
You need a front plate where I'm at but I haven't run one for about 18 months. Got stopped once but it was by a local community college cop who thought I was going a bit fast (37 in a 35). He mentioned the plate but nothing came of it.

Be smart about it. There are tons of excuses you can make if you get stopped for it.

·
Registered
744 Posts
I'm also from NJ (Join us on FB, "NJ ST Club") and most of us don't run front plates. A few have gotten hassled but it's mainly about what area you're from, how the rest of your car is, and how you drive. If you drive like a douche, cops may use it as an excuse (and a 100% valid one) to pull you over and ticket you. Same goes for tint on the front windows. I personally don't have a front plate but I bought a plate bracket meant for an EVO X that I want to try to modify to fit nicely on my ST in the similar location.

·
Registered
1,612 Posts
I havent had one on my '16, since new.

Central NJ here.

·
Registered
128 Posts
No tickets yet. -- Washington State

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
I havent had one on my '16, since new.

Central NJ here.
I'm in Central Jersey as well. No worries so far around my area as I know most of the cops and if I do get pulled over, once they find out the dealership I work for they let me go.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
I'm also from NJ (Join us on FB, "NJ ST Club") and most of us don't run front plates. A few have gotten hassled but it's mainly about what area you're from, how the rest of your car is, and how you drive. If you drive like a douche, cops may use it as an excuse (and a 100% valid one) to pull you over and ticket you. Same goes for tint on the front windows. I personally don't have a front plate but I bought a plate bracket meant for an EVO X that I want to try to modify to fit nicely on my ST in the similar location.
I want to get tints done. But I haven't done it for that exact reason. Worried about a cop being like okay this guy is asking for it.

I can have an excuse for the front plate bracket for Air flow. The only excuse I can use for the tints is to keep the interior cooler in the summer.

·
Registered
816 Posts
My reasoning was that now that I'm able to legally drink, I didn't want to get pulled over for not having a front plate and give them cause to screen me for a sobriety test. Most of us have drank a little more than legal limit and aren't impaired whatsoever, but according to the law you are and it can have serious repercussions. I also can't afford losing my car to a DUI caused by me having a drink over the limit so I try to draw as little attention as possible to my car

·
Registered
95 Posts
I've been pulled over because the cop couldn't see the plate. It was in my windshield at the time. He made me strap it on to the grill with zip ties and let me go.

1 - 20 of 31 Posts