Ford Focus ST Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So about a month ago I noticed my coolant temps started to go higher than what it usually would settle at, which was 197. It would heat up very very fast all the way up to 210 while cruising, but after lifting off the temps would go down just as fast. Eventually i found out the LH heater core hose went bad and i was leaking coolant pretty badly. I ended up fixing it and i refilled my coolant and I thought that was that, but the temps still rise pretty fast. Its not as bad as before but it definitely does not stay stable still. Does anyone have any idea what could be causing this?

·
Super Moderator
2014 ST3. Garrett GTX2860R Gen 2. FBO
8,868 Posts
Probably air as mentioned above. I use a robinair vacuum filler to fill my system with zero air. It was fairly reasonably priced.

Also, I know your car was salvage. Did you reinstall AGS? Are the shutters working?

How about the cooling fan, is it working?

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Probably air as mentioned above. I use a robinair vacuum filler to fill my system with zero air. It was fairly reasonably priced.

Also, I know your car was salvage. Did you reinstall AGS? Are the shutters working?

I didn’t reinstall the AGS and the fan is working. Only reason i think it was salvaged was because there were gnarly dents in the body and the paint was chipping on the whole car

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
[
You probably have air in the system. Jack up the pass front corner of the car and run it with the reservoir cap off . Be sure to put the cap back on before you shut the car off.
I tried this and I don't think it worked. The temperature still rises fast while on the gas and then drops fast when I go into neutral and just cruise. Do you think it could be the temperature sensor got damaged and is reading it wrong? or more probable the thermostat is getting stuck? or should I just refill the coolant with a vacuum filler?

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·

I ended up taking it to a shop to get it diagnosed and turns out going above 200 degrees is fine. there was no air in the system or anything.

·
Super Moderator
2014 ST3. Garrett GTX2860R Gen 2. FBO
8,868 Posts
I ended up taking it to a shop to get it diagnosed and turns out going above 200 degrees is fine. there was no air in the system or anything.
Yes, when you're accelerating and getting into boost. You said it happens while cruising, as if you're maintaining steady speed and the temps are fluctuating on their own. Is that not the case?

1 - 11 of 11 Posts