Ford Focus ST Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys I have a 2018 with 18500 miles I baught it new from the dealer. Today I noticed that my coolant lvl is at the minimum mark why would I be losing coolant or is this normal for the focus

·
Registered
101 Posts
Do you smell it ever? Unfortunately, a coolant smell is a pretty common complaint among owners of these cars (including me), but somehow it rarely manifests itself as a serious problem. Obviously one should never smell it - its a closed system and should only vent smell if its over-pressurized. If you are under warranty, your dealer can pressure test the system.

A common leak point is where the plastic hard line goes into the driver side of the cylinder head above the transmission. One thing I did was buy some dexcool safe UV dye and a UV light. You add that to the coolant, drive around, and look for leaks with the light. Small leaks can be really hard to pinpoint. I've never found one on my car, yet I get that whiff of coolant when the car is warm sometimes. I suspect a tiny leak at the side of the radiator that I can't see, though the car passed the dealers pressure test fine.

·
Registered
158 Posts
I did come across a TSB lately regarding coolant leak diagnosis and the use of our style water pump which uses the coolant itself to create the main seal between shaft and bearing. Basically, it's normal to have dried coolant around the weep hole of the water pump. Well what that tells me is, in a system that only holds 5 quarts of coolant, over time our levels will likely drop because of that.

If i think about it, I'll try to remember to dig up the number for you guys.

·
Registered
142 Posts
Watching this thread because I have the same car with the same mileage and the same symptom.

I think what important is determining if it’s burning coolant, if it’s a small leak then well the solution is simply just to top it off until you can pinpoint the leak. If it’s getting into the cylinders that’s a much bigger problem.

·
Registered
351 Posts
It happened to me a few years ago. I’d get out of the car & smell coolant from under the hood. I’d open the hood & the reserve box was below the minimum line however no visible leaks anywhere. Took it into Ford & it was a faulty water-pump. Car had only 8k miles on it, at that time.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
281 Posts
My '16 did and still does the same thing, however it seems to have leveled off now. When I first got it I added coolant a few times and it would go down but never to "low," it was always just above it. I smell it once in a while but as far as losing coolant, it's pretty much stopped.

·
Registered
558 Posts
They all do that. My SE did it, too, but I still have the original jug of coolant I bought for that car, so in about 330k miles worth of Focuses, it hasn't used a whole gallon of coolant yet. It worried me at first, because only my old cars that didn't have overflow tanks ever required topping up unless something was wrong, but it seems it's just a thing with these cars.

·
Registered
815 Posts
Ok well I am not going to say any of you are wrong. Now cars may lose some in evaporation and steam, but in a sealed pressurized cooling system it shouldn't be losing any fluid. My 18 that I bought had 62 miles on it when I drove it off the lot and it now has 38k on it and it hasn't smelled of coolant or dropped a mm in the tank. I saw someone said something about the weep hole commonly having coolant coming from it, that's a usual sign of a worn water pump seal or bearing. That's something they specifically look for. As most people stated obviously if your burning coolant that's an issue and most likely a head gasket, possibly but unlikely a cracked block. Now the people saying it uses fluid slowly, have you ever had a pressure check done? Because I have read some where that small small leaks are possible in our head gaskets near the corner peaks of where the barrels of our combustion chambers meet each other and the head gasket is really thin there. That's why I do compression tests every 10k miles and have monitored my compression since new, not a single change or fluctuation. The way I like it.

·
Registered
1,339 Posts
if you want to rule out a slow traditional leak, you can get a loaner coolant pressure test from most part stores.

Just hook it up, pressurize and wait; you'll either drop psi or notice a leak spraying.

·
Registered
158 Posts
Ok well I am not going to say any of you are wrong. Now cars may lose some in evaporation and steam, but in a sealed pressurized cooling system it shouldn't be losing any fluid. My 18 that I bought had 62 miles on it when I drove it off the lot and it now has 38k on it and it hasn't smelled of coolant or dropped a mm in the tank. I saw someone said something about the weep hole commonly having coolant coming from it, that's a usual sign of a worn water pump seal or bearing. That's something they specifically look for. As most people stated obviously if your burning coolant that's an issue and most likely a head gasket, possibly but unlikely a cracked block. Now the people saying it uses fluid slowly, have you ever had a pressure check done? Because I have read some where that small small leaks are possible in our head gaskets near the corner peaks of where the barrels of our combustion chambers meet each other and the head gasket is really thin there. That's why I do compression tests every 10k miles and have monitored my compression since new, not a single change or fluctuation. The way I like it.

·
Registered
354 Posts
There are some typical small coolant leak points on the ST (ignoring obvious things like a split radiator, split hose etc.). One was already mentioned (the thin plastic bypass hose that runs from the expansion tank to the hose junction above the transmission). This is inexpensive and fairly easy to replace. The other leak point that is hard to find at first is the junction point on the firewall where the heater feed and return hoses enter/exit the car. The hoses have a special fitting that starts to weep eventually. The hoses are not expensive, but they can be difficult to remove without a special "tool" to rotate the locking sleeves.

·
Registered
513 Posts
I’m experiencing the same thing - smell, level drop, etc. I’ve topped mine off 3-4 times in the last 3-1/2 years and ~26K miles. Had it pressure tested twice at the dealer with it coming back as good each time. I’ve kept an eye on the expansion tank hose and haven’t found any evidence. Going to take a look at the water pump and heater hoses next time I’m under the hood. Thanks for that info.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

1 - 14 of 14 Posts