Ford Focus ST Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
201 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Anyone have any issues with Coolant levels being low? I noticed last week I was a little below the minimum levels. I topped it back off but just curious.

Thanks

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
72 Posts
Anyone have any issues with Coolant levels being low? I noticed last week I was a little below the minimum levels. I topped it back off but just curious.

Thanks

I noticed this in my 2014. It seemed low from the factory right near MIN when cold. Topped up with a little distilled water and it was fine for a little and back down to MIN.... I do have a smell of coolant/plastic smell with no visible leaks or anything (which apparently is common when the car is hot). I am just going to leave it and top it up every few months or so. No cooling issues whatsoever or anything. It seems like once it gets down to the MIN level that it won't really go lower. Very weird.

Reactions: cheap_ass_alex

·
Registered
201 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Hmmm interesting stuff. I never really noticed over time so I was worried it was quick but haven't lost fluid yet. Thanks guys!

·
Registered
355 Posts
I started smelling coolant a few months ago and I drew a pencil mark on the reservoir when it was hot to see if I'm losing it somehow. It's slowing going down, but there's no signs of leaks, just the smell.

·
Registered
1,817 Posts

Thanks

Yeah just noticed the same thing ~3-4 weeks ago. Topped it off and hasn't moved. I know there was an occasion here and there I thought smelled coolant and but car has never run hot (never tracked but flogged in Mexico plenty). Only noticed it this year after just passing the 4 year mark

·
Registered
201 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Mine is a 15 w/ 27k Checked again this morning and low again because last night I smelt burn. No leaks either.

·
Registered
72 Posts
It must be a pinhole leak somewhere hard to see.. You would think we would see the crusty orange fluid if so though. I was also thinking faulty caps would cause it but that would probably cause cooling issues. I am not too concerned with it currently.

·
Registered
110 Posts
Mine started smelling faintly of coolant about a week ago. Just under 12k miles. I'm going to monitor levels, coolant temps, and this thread. Glad to know it's not just me.

·
Registered
1,072 Posts
did you check it when the engine was hot? That would throw off the reading as well

·
Registered
2017 ST1
1,030 Posts
A few weeks ago, I noticed mine was about 1/2" inch below the max level when cold. Filled it to the max line, removed the engine cover and poked around with a flashlight. I see no orange stains or any kind of residue on anything, including what appears to be the thermostat housing. Today, it's about 1/4" below the max line again.

Every morning when I step out of the car in my office parking garage (18 mile drive from my house) I faintly smell coolant. I have no explanation for it, but I'm sure someday it'll make itself known.

·
Registered
201 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
A few weeks ago, I noticed mine was about 1/2" inch below the max level when cold. Filled it to the max line, removed the engine cover and poked around with a flashlight. I see no orange stains or any kind of residue on anything, including what appears to be the thermostat housing. Today, it's about 1/4" below the max line again.

Every morning when I step out of the car in my office parking garage (18 mile drive from my house) I faintly smell coolant. I have no explanation for it, but I'm sure someday it'll make itself known.
I've had same issue for a while now. No solution yet lol

1 - 15 of 15 Posts