Ford Focus ST Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello i have a 2015 focus st and my coolant seems to be going somewhere, there is no colant smell in the engine bay but periodically i smell it in the cab, i thought it might be the heater core but it sporadic, and I also heard about a blow off valve issue that could cause problems, any help wit this would be appreciated thanks.

·
Registered
421 Posts
Are you loosing coolant in your reserve box? If so, it might be your water pump.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
43 Posts
You can also be leaking coolant over your transmission housing, every once in a while when the tranny would get warm I would smell it in the cabin. No visible signs of leak beside always being low on coolant. Supposedly there’s a coolant line that goes into a “T” and it leaks onto the tranny housing. This was what I found.
EC19868C-7394-471D-AAF6-369C55517C0A.jpeg

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Are you loosing coolant in your reserve box? If so, it might be your water pump.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
It's weird i only smell it inside the car and its definitely getting stronger, dont see any leaks or drips, but yes the reservoir is getting low, the water pump is covered under warranty but its 150 bucks to diagnose, ugh! Ive had this damn thing in 5 times in a little over a year
You can also be leaking coolant over your transmission housing, every once in a while when the tranny would get warm I would smell it in the cabin. No visible signs of leak beside always being low on coolant. Supposedly there’s a coolant line that goes into a “T” and it leaks onto the tranny housing. This was what I found. View attachment 376633
Thank you so much I'm going to tear into it tonight after work, bought a pressure test kit and going to look for any and everything before I take it into ford, thanks again!

·
Registered
454 Posts
The other likely place is the connection where your heater hoses pass through the firewall into the cabin. The unions start leaking slowly after a while and the leak gets absorbed by the firewall padding so there's no obvious leak to see until it gets catastrophic. This also explains why you get a whiff of coolant once in a while when warm.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts