Ford Focus ST Forum banner
21 - 34 of 34 Posts

Registered
Whatever you do, don't eat that yellow snow!!!

Reactions: TurboGT

Registered
2018 ST1 Magnetic Gray
Let us know about the coolant leak test.

Reactions: MtnMan

Registered
Discussion Starter · #25 ·
Ok so after a few days everything is looking a-ok. A few things to note, I did some research into the yellow snow under the car during winter and there is science that supports it. Link here: https://www theglobeandmail.com/globe-drive/culture/commuting/an-explanation-for-the-yellow-snow-under-your-car/article621975/ (remove the space between the www and the link) Interestingly, this is the first year I've had a paved driveway and used salt on it. Apparently when Salt, Water and Zinc meet it makes yellow droplets as a couple of the other posters have mentioned.. To add to that, even though the Ford coolant bottle says "Yellow" after dipping a white paper towel in the tank and verifying online that it's actually green... The spot in my driveway wasn't green.. lol In this case I think what threw me off was the coolant looks brownish yellow when looking into the coolant tank due to the staining from the old Orange coolant and the fact that the bottle says Yellow right on it.

I'm cautiously optimistic that I panicked a bit, although it does still seem like an excessive amount of smoke in the morning. Last night I started it up and pulled the cap off the coolant bottle to check for bubbles, came back negative there as well. I'll continue driving for the rest of the week and check the level again. I'll keep you all posted.

As a side note, I had a similar tail pipe smoke problem with my wife's 2.0 Jetta that was GDI. The intake valves were very carboned up causing a lot of white'ish brown smoke at start up which cleared up after about a minute. My intake valves have never been cleaned.. I'm wondering if there's a connection there.. As mentioned I'll get to the bottom of it via process of elimination.

Registered
Discussion Starter · #26 ·
So, you say it's yellow and by the left rear tire? Have you checked your brake fluid at all? Didn't see if anyone else mentioned that but check there. I believe there are brake lines that go through that area.
Missed this! Had the Brake fluid flushed at the same time as the coolant. I checked it tonight and it's full, pedal feels good.

Registered
Missed this! Had the Brake fluid flushed at the same time as the coolant. I checked it tonight and it's full, pedal feels good.
No problem! Just my first thought when I hear yellow and rear wheel area. Glad it's not that! I've seen this before on a couple of my vehicles during the winter in my garage... Makes sense that it would be the de-icer from the roads...

Registered
2.0 ecoboost, 2.3 ecoboost
2013 Focus ST3 175,000kms oil changed every 7000kms with syn and Motorcraft filter, Coolant and brake fluid just flushed at 170,000km with Ford fluids, bone stock.
Reminds me of when I coolant flushed my turbo truck and developed a coolant puddle under the bed. The coolant was dripping from my exhaust pipe. Only thing I can figure out is the original owner most of used a coolant sealer, and I washed it out!?

Registered
Glad it was a false alarm, but good for you for being so perceptive. That is interesting, and thanks for following up and posting your findings and resolution to the issue.

21 - 34 of 34 Posts