Ford Focus ST Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ive got a coolant leak on a 2013 Focus ST.

The engine pan under the engine is dry. The leak is further back near where the exhaust bend/downpipe is.

If you look under the car where the jack goes (behind the front wheel), thats where the leak is.

The leak is on the right hand side towards the centre. The side pan is quite wet.

Any ideas what it could be?

I detected this after a smell started coming from my AC vents - and eventually a white smoke/steam that almost smelt like it was burning. I pulled over and the coolant was extremely low. I think I had to put about 4 litres in to get the car home. No warning lights came on. Air started to go cold again but the leak is still dripping.

·
Registered
660 Posts
Ive got a coolant leak on a 2013 Focus ST.

The engine pan under the engine is dry. The leak is further back near where the exhaust bend/downpipe is.

If you look under the car where the jack goes (behind the front wheel), thats where the leak is.

The leak is on the right hand side towards the centre. The side pan is quite wet.

Any ideas what it could be?

I detected this after a smell started coming from my AC vents - and eventually a white smoke/steam that almost smelt like it was burning. I pulled over and the coolant was extremely low. I think I had to put about 4 litres in to get the car home. No warning lights came on. Air started to go cold again but the leak is still dripping.
Sounds like a coolant line on the turbo.

·
Registered
1 Posts
So I ended up getting the same problem about 8 months ago. At first, I thought it was a blown head gasket since the engine almost overheated on the highway during winter. Conducted a coolant flush, pressurized the system with no drop, no white smoke coming from the exhaust, with no engine codes. Yet monthly, I had to keep adding water. I checked the radiator lines, the return line to the degas bottle/radiator reservoir, checked the turbo and its lines, and all were bone dry. I've seen a puddle form under the car every so often, but then constantly every day. I wrote that off to normal evaporator use until it became a constant steady stream.

I ended up finding what I assume to be the same leak as the OP behind the engine next to the cat support bracket. The water leaks from a white port/opening from what I believe to be the car's subfloor. It seems to be doing its job letting some overflow out, but I can't seem to find the answer is what is causing the overflow.

I attached a link showing me crawling under the car from the front bumper to the leak I found next to the cat support bracket.

·
Super Moderator
2014 ST3. Garrett Powermax turbo, Thermal Turboback, CPE intercooler, JBR intake, Innovative RMM
4,870 Posts
@Waggledex If that is in fact coolant, the only two options are A) the o-rings on the heater hose quick connects at the firewall, or B) the heater core is bad and leaking coolant from the evap box drain. Option A is a common issue though.

·
Banned
2016 Focus ST2
886 Posts
firewall for the heater hose.

·
Registered
2017 Ford Focus ST Magnetic Grey
15 Posts
So I ended up getting the same problem about 8 months ago. At first, I thought it was a blown head gasket since the engine almost overheated on the highway during winter. Conducted a coolant flush, pressurized the system with no drop, no white smoke coming from the exhaust, with no engine codes. Yet monthly, I had to keep adding water. I checked the radiator lines, the return line to the degas bottle/radiator reservoir, checked the turbo and its lines, and all were bone dry. I've seen a puddle form under the car every so often, but then constantly every day. I wrote that off to normal evaporator use until it became a constant steady stream.

I ended up finding what I assume to be the same leak as the OP behind the engine next to the cat support bracket. The water leaks from a white port/opening from what I believe to be the car's subfloor. It seems to be doing its job letting some overflow out, but I can't seem to find the answer is what is causing the overflow.

I attached a link showing me crawling under the car from the front bumper to the leak I found next to the cat support bracket.

I'm getting that same leak did you ever find out what it was?

1 - 7 of 7 Posts