Ford Focus ST Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
1,900 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
My 2013 FoST has ~ 63K miles, and while I know the recommended service interval for coolant is 100K miles, I'd like to change it a little on the early side.

The shop manual says to use a vacuum fill tool, but my home garage does not have shop air (and I'd like to avoid getting shop air, even just one of those little compressor thingies...).

So, my question is whether the vacuum fill is required or just a nice-to-have? IOW, does the system self-bleed when the thermostat is open?

TIA,
Mark

:: EDIT :: Coolant Change Done - Some Notes for First-Timers
Editing my own post here to say for sure that a vacuum fill is not needed, but...

Draining from the radiator petcock leaves about a half-quart of coolant still in the system. And that's even with the system up to full temperature (thermostat open) and the heat set on full.

I refilled with distilled water and drained again -- and did this three times, each fill taking a little under a gallon -- before the drain fluid started coming out nearly clear.

Since I knew from what I was filling and what I had drained (I had a graduated bucket) that there was about a half quart of distilled water in the system, I filled with 1/2 quart of Concentrated coolant, and then the rest with Pre-Diluted coolant.

I then took three drives of a few miles each and topped off about a finger's height.

Overnight the fill had dropped less than 1/4" below where I had left it the night before, so I topped off before heading in to work.

Assuming nothing goes awry in the next few days that's that!

One thing about the petcock:
It's a bit tricky to close. Mine opens fully at between 1/2 and 3/4 of a turn. But then to close it, you have to actually press the petcock in a bit to engage it, and that can only be done when it has been opened 3/4 and/or 1 1/4 turn. Note that this is for the petcock that empties sideways; the Helm manual shows a downward-draining petcock that the manual says requires four turns to open. YMMV.

·
Registered
613 Posts
Not needed. I drained coolant when I did turbo swap. Refilled with dexcool and just did a normal refill and burping procedure. The vacuum assist prob helps the dealership ensure there’s no air bubbles before they send the car back to the customer.

·
Premium Member
392 Posts
Vacuum filling is a nice option, especially for a flat rate tech as its faster, and usually no issues with air pockets. With that said, being a tech, ive always preferred to do it the old school way, manually filling and burping. It only takes me a little longer, but Ive never had issues my way so I like to stick with what works.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts