Ford Focus ST Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
100 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello All,
So I have been running into a dilemma since I bought my 17 ST new, I need to be adding coolant every 2-4 months, I have gone through a gallon of coolant in a little under 2 years. Is this normal or am I possibly leaking/burning coolant, I thought I read in the supplement at some point that if you aren’t adding more than a quart a month then it’s normal but I can’t seem to find this anymore. Just worried about future problems that come with burning and leaking coolant. There never any visible spots of coolant after I move my car so that leads me to believe I’m burning it.

·
Premium Member
2018 Ford Focus ST1
614 Posts
The 2.0 Ecoboost engine has known issues with coolant getting into the cylinders (see it a lot on the escape forums). Is it throwing any misfire codes? The test for it is a coolant pressure test, if I remember correctly, and at least with the escape, the "fix" is a new long block

·
Registered
706 Posts
My SE used it and the ST uses it, but I've probably used less than a gallon of coolant in about 340k miles (plus water). No issues with either car.

·
Registered
100 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
The 2.0 Ecoboost engine has known issues with coolant getting into the cylinders (see it a lot on the escape forums). Is it throwing any misfire codes? The test for it is a coolant pressure test, if I remember correctly, and at least with the escape, the "fix" is a new long block
Nope no misfire codes I always have my AP3 hooked up and never have seen anything out of the ordinary, and my tuner has never mentioned anything on the 20+ logs I have sent to him, but it just seems like a lot of coolant, would there be any other things I should look for beside misfires. I guess I will have to do a coolant pressure test.

·
Premium Member
2018 Ford Focus ST1
614 Posts
Have any oil changes ever looked foamy or "milky"? How about any oil in the coolant reservoir? That would indicate coolant mixing with the oil.

However, a head gasket issue could allow coolant to get into a cylinder under certain conditions, such as once it's hot enough (through increased pressure pushing past a slightly failed head gasket), or even if the head has a slight warp in it that gets exacerbated by heat once it warms up.

Either could allow a tiny bit of coolant past the gasket into the cylinder when it's hot, but be just fine (and not smoke white) when it's cold. If you're only putting that much coolant in it, I doubt you'd ever get any white smoke/steam. It would be even less than a water/meth kit would inject into the cylinders, I imagine.

Definitely recommend a pressure test ,and once that's done, be sure to pull the plugs and look for any kind of moisture in the cylinders and water in the oil. Might not hurt, especially if you see any kind of pressure drop, to change the oil afterwards since you'll likely inject water into the oil supply (if you're going to try to keep driving it), or get it towed to the dealer (if they don't do the pressure test) and just let them deal with it since it will likely need a long block.

·
Registered
763 Posts
There are also a couple of external slow leak points that don't always show evidence - check carefully the following:
1) The thin plastic hose that runs from the expansion tank to a manifold just above the top of the transmission. This hose can fail inside the fitting. There may be some orange evidence on the top of the surrounding transmission casting if there's a problem.
2) The bulkhead behind the engine where the heater feed and return hoses connect. These fittings can leak and the resulting leak gets absorbed by the sound deadening material which is right underneath, so it can take a long time to see any evidence.

·
Registered
2014 Ford Focus ST3
183 Posts
How often do you need to refill it? I've had to refill every 6 months. In my case, the reservoir cap wouldn't come off unless I twisted using pliers.
I just ordered and installed this Dorman 54211 Coolant Reservoir Cap - I did this recently so I can't confirm that it's a fix in my case.

·
Registered
100 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Have any oil changes ever looked foamy or "milky"? How about any oil in the coolant reservoir? That would indicate coolant mixing with the oil.

However, a head gasket issue could allow coolant to get into a cylinder under certain conditions, such as once it's hot enough (through increased pressure pushing past a slightly failed head gasket), or even if the head has a slight warp in it that gets exacerbated by heat once it warms up.

Either could allow a tiny bit of coolant past the gasket into the cylinder when it's hot, but be just fine (and not smoke white) when it's cold. If you're only putting that much coolant in it, I doubt you'd ever get any white smoke/steam. It would be even less than a water/meth kit would inject into the cylinders, I imagine.

Definitely recommend a pressure test ,and once that's done, be sure to pull the plugs and look for any kind of moisture in the cylinders and water in the oil. Might not hurt, especially if you see any kind of pressure drop, to change the oil afterwards since you'll likely inject water into the oil supply (if you're going to try to keep driving it), or get it towed to the dealer (if they don't do the pressure test) and just let them deal with it since it will likely need a long block.
All my oil changes always go normal never milky or anything I do get some white smoke on cold startups but it doesn’t appear anything out of the ordinary it’s not like it’s a giant plume or anything and goes away relatively quickly.

·
Registered
100 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
There are also a couple of external slow leak points that don't always show evidence - check carefully the following:
1) The thin plastic hose that runs from the expansion tank to a manifold just above the top of the transmission. This hose can fail inside the fitting. There may be some orange evidence on the top of the surrounding transmission casting if there's a problem.
2) The bulkhead behind the engine where the heater feed and return hoses connect. These fittings can leak and the resulting leak gets absorbed by the sound deadening material which is right underneath, so it can take a long time to see any evidence.
I have a feeling that is the most likely cause as I never have to fill that often and when I do it’s a minimal amount.

·
Registered
100 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
How often do you need to refill it? I've had to refill every 6 months. In my case, the reservoir cap wouldn't come off unless I twisted using pliers.
I just ordered and installed this Dorman 54211 Coolant Reservoir Cap - I did this recently so I can't confirm that it's a fix in my case.
I would say about the same maybe a little more often, I actually had my cap break on me and also installed that same cap.

·
Registered
1,123 Posts
Yea I've owned my 18 since march 18 with 62 miles now has 42k and I have never needed to add coolant none the less maybe glance at the coolant reservoir once in a while. That's not normal whatsoever and the qt your talking about is oil. You shouldnt have to add coolant that's not acceptable in a new vehicle even a partially used vehilce. Ypur water jacket and coolant system should be separate from any methods of burning or leaking at all times, I mean technically antifreeze is like a hazmat material, like it's not something the EPA wants in the ground or water. They wouldnt find it ok to be burning alil or leaking it from a new car. I would definitely take that thing in to the dealer and have them fix it, especially if its headgasket or actually internal water jacket of the block.

·
Registered
100 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Yea I've owned my 18 since march 18 with 62 miles now has 42k and I have never needed to add coolant none the less maybe glance at the coolant reservoir once in a while. That's not normal whatsoever and the qt your talking about is oil. You shouldnt have to add coolant that's not acceptable in a new vehicle even a partially used vehilce. Ypur water jacket and coolant system should be separate from any methods of burning or leaking at all times, I mean technically antifreeze is like a hazmat material, like it's not something the EPA wants in the ground or water. They wouldnt find it ok to be burning alil or leaking it from a new car. I would definitely take that thing in to the dealer and have them fix it, especially if its headgasket or actually internal water jacket of the block.
Yea come Saturday I’m going to pull my intake out and look for the leak over the transmission and try to see if it’s leaking in the rear of the engine. I’m dreading that it’s going into the cylinders, if I don’t see any visible leakage I’m most likely going to make an appointment for service and see what they diagnose.

·
Super Moderator
2017 Ford Fusion Sport
8,142 Posts
Check all below the reservoir and the lines running away from the reservoir. That reservoir is becoming a common leak point underneath it where you can't see. People are very slowly losing coolant as a result. If you have no symptoms of a major engine failure drinking your coolant, I'd look there.

·
Registered
2 Posts
106,000 miles on my 2013 besides flushing the coolant at 90k miles or so I’ve never had to add any coolant to my car. Hope you find the issue!

1 - 15 of 15 Posts