Ford Focus ST Forum banner
1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
1,607 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just ordered the stuff to make my fog lights say on with the lights, I hope. What I got was two 12v SPDT relays, H11 plugs, LED replacement lights and a fuse tap.

Here is the plan. Wire one relay into the running lights, so fogs will come on with them. The second relay will be wired into the high beams. When triggered it will remove the ground being supplied to the fogs. This will allow me to pass PA inspections. I may hide a small switch to turn off the second relay except during inspections though.

I will keep you informed as I get this project underway. Hoping this will work for me with few problems.

Wes

·
Registered
607 Posts
I have done this for many of my old cars but instead of the relay, i find the wire that interrupts the power. On the last two cars it's been in the steering column.
I need to get the wire diagram to figure out the ST
Here is the post I did for my Hyundai DIY Project 59

·
Registered
1,607 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I got all my supplies in today. I spent a few minutes pre-wiring them, before testing on my 12v power supply. When my running kits are on the fogs will be lit. When my high beams are lit the fogs will turn off.

Wes

·
Registered
1,607 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Success! I now can skip the stupid, hard to get to switch for the fog lights. The relay turns on the fogs when the running lights are on. It also turns them off when the high beams are switched on. The best part is I confirmed that I will have no problem adding the DRL kit later on. I know this cause I used the LED eye brow wire to trigger the relay. All I will need to do is cut the connection loose on the LED side and tie in the DRL switch kit. Here are a few pics of the install. For any one doing this, there is no need to pull the passenger head light. The wire is ran from the drivers side to the passenger. Just look at a plug looking thing in the fender.

Wes

·
Registered
1,607 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I decided that I didn't like the fogs coming on when I open the door. So I ran the fuse tap to an ACC location in the fuse box. I also received my LED replacement bulbs for the fogs. I can't wait to see how they look at night. Here is a pic of them in the daytime. The whitelist looks better than that washed out yellow.

Wes

·
Registered
762 Posts
What bulbs and where did you buy them from?

·
Registered
3,556 Posts
Not to hijack your thread, but I just got pulled over the other morning and the cop told me (Oklahoma) that it was illegal to drive with your fog lights on unless it was inclement weather. Not sure about your state, but you might be giving them a reason to pull you over.

·
Registered
1,815 Posts
Not to hijack your thread, but I just got pulled over the other morning and the cop told me (Oklahoma) that it was illegal to drive with your fog lights on unless it was inclement weather. Not sure about your state, but you might be giving them a reason to pull you over.
pa only cares if they are the right color. like no blues or anything that's not white

·
Registered
1,607 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Actually they have to turn off with your high beams in PA. However, they usually only think to check that for after market fogs. Since these look like stock the inspection thugs will not notice.

Wes

·
Registered
1,815 Posts
Actually they have to turn off with your high beams in PA. However, they usually only think to check that for after market fogs. Since these look like stock the inspection thugs will not notice.

Wes
they automatically do that tho just not flashing

·
Registered
1,607 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
I thought I would take a pic of my relay set up for this, in case anyone was interested. I also have the set up for how I will turn on my DRLs, when I get a chance to wire them up.

Wes

·
Registered
1,675 Posts

·
Registered
133 Posts
Lol I work in OK! Have always used the fogs in 2 diff cars....guess I have been lucky in the mornings. Thx for the heads up.

·
Registered
137 Posts
I thought I would take a pic of my relay set up for this, in case anyone was interested. I also have the set up for how I will turn on my DRLs, when I get a chance to wire them up.

Wes

can you explain this a bit more? you used 4 relays to get the eyebrow to come on with ACC?

·
Registered
1,607 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
can you explain this a bit more? you used 4 relays to get the eyebrow to come on with ACC?
This has both my constant on fog lights and DRL lights. They use two relays each. There are many ways to set them up, but this was simple and cheap.

Here is a more detailed version of the DRL circuit. This allows the ACC to turn them on, hence the DRL. It also allows the stock functionality, like them coming on when you open the door.

The fog circuit requires the ACC be on and the headlights activated. I used the same wire as above since it was already cut. When you activate the high beams the second relay cuts the ground and the fogs go off. This is required in PA to pass inspection.

Wes

1 - 20 of 29 Posts