Ford Focus ST Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm losing my mind. Bought my '18 ST1 new and I have had 5 alignments done to it. That's right, 5.

I've only hit a gnarly pothole one time, around 15K miles, the car has never been quite right since. I took it in after that first pothole and the alignment was off, got it fixed up at the ford dealership and printout looked good. At first things felt normal but over the next few weeks things felt off again. I had not hit any pothole again. (and I'm the only driver, mainly on smooth highways.) Took it in for alignment #2 and sure enough, it was off again. When I needed a 3rd alignment not too long after, I went with a firestone lifetime alignment. Fast forward to today, 51k miles and I can tell it needs alignment #6. Every time I've felt that I've needed one, the alignment readouts had the toe all out of whack.

What the hell is going on here? I want the dealership to do a full look over of any parts that could be to blame for this. Again, I've only hit a gnarly pothole that one time where I knew I would need work done. Ever since then, the car just feels off (drifting to one side or the other, vague steering, excessive kickback over uneven surfaces) a few weeks after every single time the alignment is done. I'm sitting on 1k Indy 500's (and it's warm where I live) so I know it's not the tires.

Any ideas on what I could have them check out? If I can't figure this out I'll seriously have to start looking for another car because it feels almost like it's been in a wreck. Only modification that I have that could be even remotely related is my mountune RMM, but that went on @ 40k miles, well after this issue was already happening.
Thanks for any ideas.

·
Banned
2016 Focus ST2
886 Posts
Its most likely your tie rod.

Reactions: czack_rz

·
Premium Member
2018 Ford Focus ST1
1,280 Posts
How much is it off each time? Barely out of spec or are we talking several degrees? Also, is it just one side that's screwing up badly or both?

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Both sides every time I believe.

Very stupidly, I threw out the readouts after the alignment 3-5 saga because it felt good for a month after. Only 2 alignments were way out of spec; The first one, and the 4th. The first one makes sense to me because pothole was a small crater that rattled my spine. 4th one I have no idea about. Again, aside from that first indecent there have been no standout impacts and I'm the only driver. The rest were only a few degrees out of spec according to the techs, but still extreme enough to clearly feel.
Moving forward, I will definitely keep all readouts. I've called a local shop to check tie rods, waiting for a call back.
Any other parts to mention by name?

·
Super Moderator
2014 ST3. Garrett Powermax turbo, Thermal Turboback, CPE intercooler, JBR intake, Innovative RMM
3,911 Posts
Both sides every time I believe.

Very stupidly, I threw out the readouts after the alignment 3-5 saga because it felt good for a month after. Only 2 alignments were way out of spec; The first one, and the 4th. The first one makes sense to me because pothole was a small crater that rattled my spine. 4th one I have no idea about. Again, aside from that first indecent there have been no standout impacts and I'm the only driver. The rest were only a few degrees out of spec according to the techs, but still extreme enough to clearly feel.
Moving forward, I will definitely keep all readouts. I've called a local shop to check tie rods, waiting for a call back.
Any other parts to mention by name?
Just ask them to do a suspension safety Inspection first before the alignment. They should do this anyway because you can't align a car with loose suspension items, but some techs still try it anyway.

·
Super Moderator
9,768 Posts
Just ask them to do a suspension safety Inspection first before the alignment. They should do this anyway because you can't align a car with loose suspension items, but some jerks still try it anyway.
I fixed it for you.

·
Super Moderator
2014 ST3. Garrett Powermax turbo, Thermal Turboback, CPE intercooler, JBR intake, Innovative RMM
3,911 Posts
I would call them "hacks" personally, but i was trying to be nice.

·
Registered
3,319 Posts
just had mine checked at last oil change, idk what ford witchcraft they are using but i think they need to re-calibrate their machine.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts