Ford Focus ST Forum banner
21 - 40 of 40 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #21 ·
I have a 2015 ST2. I don't know if I have sync or ford touch but it works great whatever I have. Also it was stated earlier that the 2015 doesn't have adaptive headlights. Mine does. I like the the look of the front end better on the 2015 up st's and that the front brakes are bigger. The only gripe I have is it appears that upgrading the shocks/struts, with a conventional spring set up, is easier in the earlier models based on availability of parts.
Good stuff, thanks for the input... I know that MFT got MUCH better after updates, I definitely could live with that, I confirmed the '15's still had that, no Sync3 yet, so good to hear it works well for you! And ya, adaptive headlights are pretty cool, good to hear they are on the '15 ST2, I just know now at this point I'm going to hold out for a '15+ ST2 or 3... I'm getting older now, mid '40's dad, so I prob won't need to lower it/change out springs/go coilovers, etc, it will already look like a mid-life crisis getting an ST as it is, LOL.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #22 ·
Depending on where you live too, getting an ST3 may be worth it, it was for me and very glad I did. Having heated seats, heated steering wheel, and heated side mirrors is pretty incredible. I'll never go back haha.
I live where it's fairly mild year round but we do get a little snow and ice in the winter, but I also do garage at home but still those are nice to have when it does get cold.... having that stuff on an Audi with cold weather package before, I do remember it coming in handy when I had to park outside at our last home. I just wish the ST2 had the heated seats at least when even a loaded up SE with CLOTH seats have heated available... But ya, full leather with ST3 and heated would be nice, but aren't the ST3 seats SUPER sporty Recaro's or is that another option? In other words do the ST2 and 3 seats have the same bolstering with the ST3 just full leather with heat or are the ST3 seats even more bolstered as well?

·
Super Moderator
2017 Ford Fusion Sport
8,200 Posts
I live where it's fairly mild year round but we do get a little snow and ice in the winter, but I also do garage at home but still those are nice to have when it does get cold.... having that stuff on an Audi with cold weather package before, I do remember it coming in handy when I had to park outside at our last home. I just wish the ST2 had the heated seats at least when even a loaded up SE with CLOTH seats have heated available... But ya, full leather with ST3 and heated would be nice, but aren't the ST3 seats SUPER sporty Recaro's or is that another option? In other words do the ST2 and 3 seats have the same bolstering with the ST3 just full leather with heat or are the ST3 seats even more bolstered as well?
ST2/ST3 bolstering is identical. Difference is just the Partial Leather vs Full Leather. The ST1 cloth seats are considerably more "comfortable" to some who don't like the deep aggressive bolstering of the other 2. I LOVE the ST3 seats and wouldn't have taken anything else.

·
Registered
5,568 Posts
Your in your 40's be careful with seat selection LoL

http://www.focusst.org/forum/off-topic/40866-has-anybody-else-smashed-their-balls-getting-car.html

·
Super Moderator
2017 Ford Fusion Sport
8,200 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #26 · (Edited)
ST2/ST3 bolstering is identical. Difference is just the Partial Leather vs Full Leather. The ST1 cloth seats are considerably more "comfortable" to some who don't like the deep aggressive bolstering of the other 2. I LOVE the ST3 seats and wouldn't have taken anything else.
Ya, that's what I was afraid of on that bolstering, but there is NO...WAY... I'm going to settle for an ST1 unless it has the upgraded head unit, I can't stand that tiny screen that's on the base NA Focus, would be WAY out of place on an ST and I don't want to go through the hassle of changing head units with Metra adapters and all the other additional cost... I think that some ST1 may have a sound and sun package so I could avoid that... I think... Otherwise I can either live with the Recaro bolstering or.... might look at an Audi A3 (*ducks for cover*) Edit: Now looking through the seat thread, I see a lot of other people don't like the extreme Recaro bolstering either, I could always look at seat replacement options too, hmmm.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #27 ·
This was precisely what I discussed in the discussion yesterday about someone wearing down their bolstering seams, and getting into/out of the car properly. Been there and done that twice, now I take extra precaution. LOL
So is that like where you have to kind of arch your butt straight up, then over, then step out and the reverse getting in? Without going through 7 pages on that thread, I did see a lot of people hate the Recaro's right on the first page, so is it common for people to trade seats or have decent less aggressive reasonably priced aftermarket available?

·
Registered
1 Posts
There are some features you'll miss out on that may or may not mean a lot to you. I have a 2014...in 2014 if you buy an early year 2014 you get smaller brake rotors. If you get the late model 2014 (built after March) like mine, you get the big nice 13.1" rotors. 2013 and 2014 model cars do not have a reverse camera. They also don't have the heated steering wheel like the 2016+ cars. They don't have the improved Sync 3 system or the cooler looking steering wheel. They don't have adaptive headlights (the move left and right when you steer left and right) we DO however have the puddle lights that turn on and light up the left and right sides of the car to see curbs and stuff around turns. I'm missing a little thing or two but can't remember them all right now..

I'm in the process of buying a '15 and it has all the features you can name. Heated seats and steering wheel, moonroof, nicer steering wheel, HID cornering headlamps and sync. Its the ST3 package

·
Super Moderator
2017 Ford Fusion Sport
8,200 Posts
Ya, that's what I was afraid of on that bolstering, but there is NO...WAY... I'm going to settle for an ST1 unless it has the upgraded head unit, I can't stand that tiny screen that's on the base NA Focus, would be WAY out of place on an ST and I don't want to go through the hassle of changing head units with Metra adapters and all the other additional cost... I think that some ST1 may have a sound and sun package so I could avoid that... I think... Otherwise I can either live with the Recaro bolstering or.... might look at an Audi A3 (*ducks for cover*) Edit: Now looking through the seat thread, I see a lot of other people don't like the extreme Recaro bolstering either, I could always look at seat replacement options too, hmmm.
So is that like where you have to kind of arch your butt straight up, then over, then step out and the reverse getting in? Without going through 7 pages on that thread, I did see a lot of people hate the Recaro's right on the first page, so is it common for people to trade seats or have decent less aggressive reasonably priced aftermarket available?
A lot of people who are typically bigger (not at all pinpointing them or being harsh...it's just literally the case on this forum) hate the ST3 seats. Too squeezing. Being tall and rather slender myself I fit them perfectly. Using Recaro's website to properly adjust your seat helps a lot too!

Most people who hate them hate them due to size restrictions. You can also modify them, it's a common-ish mod. There are plastic bolstering pieces that hold the "wings" that squeeze your legs together...you can cut those plastic pieces out and put the leather back in place and its considerable less aggressive, with the same appearance. You can find the thread if you google "site:focusst.org modifying recaros"

·
Registered
5,568 Posts
:whs: anyone I know thats over 180 seems to think they fit tight. I'm 200 myself but didnt mind the tight fit. I loved my Recaro's just didn't like the occasional ball smash or clipping

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #31 ·
I'm in the process of buying a '15 and it has all the features you can name. Heated seats and steering wheel, moonroof, nicer steering wheel, HID cornering headlamps and sync. Its the ST3 package
Yep, the ST3 package is loaded so while it does have all those other features on the '15, I think we determined that at some point ITT, it doesn't have the newer SYNC3, it's still MyFordTouch (SYNC2 basically)... but ya, I wouldn't mind it either as they were terrible at first but then got major updates to make them pretty solid...

·
Premium Member
358 Posts
I have a 2015 ST3 that I bought from Putnam Ford (Putnam, Connecticut) in January 2017 with 21,000 miles for $20,500. I love my car and love the ST3. I think it really helps upscale the car greatly. I don't think it's worth paying for the ST3 upgrades on a new car, but used...I think it's totally worth it.

Reactions: danbfree

·
Registered
483 Posts
Good stuff, thanks for the input... I know that MFT got MUCH better after updates, I definitely could live with that, I confirmed the '15's still had that, no Sync3 yet, so good to hear it works well for you! And ya, adaptive headlights are pretty cool, good to hear they are on the '15 ST2, I just know now at this point I'm going to hold out for a '15+ ST2 or 3... I'm getting older now, mid '40's dad, so I prob won't need to lower it/change out springs/go coilovers, etc, it will already look like a mid-life crisis getting an ST as it is, LOL.
HA! I'm upper 40s and my car was Lowered with steeda springs and had a steeda rear sway bar before 6 months and 5K miles passed.

Never had a problem with my balls getting in and out of the car. Maybe there are some saggy balls out there.

Luckily for me my st is one of 8 cars so if the weather is crappy or I have to take the entire family I have options.

Also, I weigh 175 and the seats are great for me. The st's best feature is the handling and I am a track junkie so I wouldn't have any other seat from Ford but the recarros

Reactions: danbfree and BCE22

·
Premium Member
358 Posts
I'm 5'6" and my balls hit the Recaro seats and get squashed all of the time. Heck, I think it's the nature of the beast.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #35 ·
HA! I'm upper 40s and my car was Lowered with steeda springs and had a steeda rear sway bar before 6 months and 5K miles passed.

Never had a problem with my balls getting in and out of the car. Maybe there are some saggy balls out there.

Luckily for me my st is one of 8 cars so if the weather is crappy or I have to take the entire family I have options.

Also, I weigh 175 and the seats are great for me. The st's best feature is the handling and I am a track junkie so I wouldn't have any other seat from Ford but the recarros
I'm 5'6" and my balls hit the Recaro seats and get squashed all of the time. Heck, I think it's the nature of the beast.
OK, enough just height/weight, sounds like it's more about waist size... If I'm a 36-38" waist at 5'10" 205lbs, it will prob be a tight fit but not too bad right? I'm a little stocky... but I also look pretty young for my age, don't think the balls are that saggy yet either, LOL.

·
Premium Member
358 Posts
You'll be fine....you'll like the Recaros and they look killer!

Reactions: danbfree

·
Premium Member
688 Posts
lol hasnt been a problem but you just wait tomorrow itll probably happen.

I will second the recaros really do look awesome. My ST3 with premium wheels and full leather recaros make it look like im driving a 50k vehicle. For reference I paid about 30k CAD after all taxes, fees and extended warranty.

Reactions: danbfree and BCE22

·
Registered
130 Posts
The Recaros also tend to relax a bit once you have a few miles on the car. I didn't want them at 1st but now they're the best seats I've ever had. Plus, the 1st time you hit an on-ramp at full throttle you'll be glad you have them!

·
Registered
162 Posts
What ever hear you buy don't get caught up in the 0-60 and 1/4 mile time mods. It's not a straight line race car. It's more of a track- canyon Carver.....Go to the store take a trip kinda car. It does all that very well at an affordable price. We don't track, but we do carve the hell out of some local mountain roads. Suggest two sets of tires... One for summer one for winter. You can pick up used snowflakes wheels cheap. We bought ours for 100.00. if your just the crusing kinda guy stick with all seasonal tires. We also have a sunroof st3 use it all the time... We live in sunny Arizona? suggest the st3 use is a better buy. Good luck have fun.

·
Registered
197 Posts
When did the turning radius get reduced? Was that 2015? And didn't they change to a progressive steering ratio when they changed to the flat bottom steering wheel?

I would think that these things would be pretty significant in a car like the FoST.

21 - 40 of 40 Posts