Ford Focus ST Forum banner
1 - 20 of 40 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I tried to search, but failed, so title mostly says it... So most cars usually become more reliable, minor issues ironed out in newer model years, should I consider a refresh '15 for more than just an updated appearance? Do they have anything improved mechanically over the '13-'14's? Coming from a '13 Focus SE hatch, then a money pit used Audi, to now a reliable but terrible handling, pig rich tuned, too low geared Kia Forte5 SX turbo manual, I know with each of those cars each newer model year seemed to have mechanical improvements over others of the previous years, same generation... Thanks in advance in helping me what to look for!

·
Super Moderator
2017 Ford Fusion Sport
8,200 Posts
I tried to search, but failed, so title mostly says it... So most cars usually become more reliable, minor issues ironed out in newer model years, should I consider a refresh '15 for more than just an updated appearance? Do they have anything improved mechanically over the '13-'14's? Coming from a '13 Focus SE hatch, then a money pit used Audi, to now a reliable but terrible handling, pig rich tuned, too low geared Kia Forte5 SX turbo manual, I know with each of those cars each newer model year seemed to have mechanical improvements over others of the previous years, same generation... Thanks in advance in helping me what to look for!
There are some features you'll miss out on that may or may not mean a lot to you. I have a 2014...in 2014 if you buy an early year 2014 you get smaller brake rotors. If you get the late model 2014 (built after March) like mine, you get the big nice 13.1" rotors. 2013 and 2014 model cars do not have a reverse camera. They also don't have the heated steering wheel like the 2016+ cars. They don't have the improved Sync 3 system or the cooler looking steering wheel. They don't have adaptive headlights (the move left and right when you steer left and right) we DO however have the puddle lights that turn on and light up the left and right sides of the car to see curbs and stuff around turns. I'm missing a little thing or two but can't remember them all right now..

·
Super Moderator
9,772 Posts
The newer cars have a bunch of stuff that adds weight and makes them slower. :eek:

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
There are some features you'll miss out on that may or may not mean a lot to you. I have a 2014...in 2014 if you buy an early year 2014 you get smaller brake rotors. If you get the late model 2014 (built after March) like mine, you get the big nice 13.1" rotors. 2013 and 2014 model cars do not have a reverse camera. They also don't have the heated steering wheel like the 2016+ cars. They don't have the improved Sync 3 system or the cooler looking steering wheel. They don't have adaptive headlights (the move left and right when you steer left and right) we DO however have the puddle lights that turn on and light up the left and right sides of the car to see curbs and stuff around turns. I'm missing a little thing or two but can't remember them all right now..
Thanks for the input! So just to be clear, once past the big brakes of the late 2014's then it's mainly the visuals and reverse camera for '15 but then the '16 gets Sync3, cooler steering wheel, adaptive headlights (had on my Audi)? I know that I prob want ST2, I've seen ST1 with the tiny base Focus head unit screen and poor looking base seats... Sunroof wold be nice but that just adds weight as far as performance, heh...

So that said, I know I can do my research. but are there plenty of options for tuners with good reputations? With my Kia, there are only smaller shops some excellent, some terrible but they have decent tunes available for sure... I'm sure there are also some must-do little mods, right? Thanks again!

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
The newer cars have a bunch of stuff that adds weight and makes them slower. :eek:
hehe, this is true, the more goodies you start throwing on there, the more it just adds weight... I'm thinking '16 ST2 is what I should hold out for...

·
Super Moderator
2017 Ford Fusion Sport
8,200 Posts
Thanks for the input! So just to be clear, once past the big brakes of the late 2014's then it's mainly the visuals and reverse camera for '15 but then the '16 gets Sync3, cooler steering wheel, adaptive headlights (had on my Audi)? I know that I prob want ST2, I've seen ST1 with the tiny base Focus head unit screen and poor looking base seats... Sunroof wold be nice but that just adds weight as far as performance, heh...

So that said, I know I can do my research. but are there plenty of options for tuners with good reputations? With my Kia, there are only smaller shops some excellent, some terrible but they have decent tunes available for sure... I'm sure there are also some must-do little mods, right? Thanks again!
Yeah basically aside from options (I also forgot to mention the premium wheels if you're into those) the only difference is the brakes that I can think of. Moonroof adds a place for a potential leak/problem and I hardly use it despite wanting one at first...I'd have definitely lived without if I did this over again haha.

Tuners: http://www.focusst.org/forum/focus-...ur-car-what-your-options-look-no-further.html

PLENTY of options, regardless of year. Personal preference mainly. Customer service, prices, location, etc. just whatever works best for you, or that you find to be more attractive for your needs.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Yeah basically aside from options (I also forgot to mention the premium wheels if you're into those) the only difference is the brakes that I can think of. Moonroof adds a place for a potential leak/problem and I hardly use it despite wanting one at first...I'd have definitely lived without if I did this over again haha.

Tuners: http://www.focusst.org/forum/focus-...ur-car-what-your-options-look-no-further.html

PLENTY of options, regardless of year. Personal preference mainly. Customer service, prices, location, etc. just whatever works best for you, or that you find to be more attractive for your needs.
Awesome, this has helped me narrow down what I'm looking for... and it's pretty clear there is a great community here so I look forward to hopefully joining you guys soon!

·
Super Moderator
2017 Ford Fusion Sport
8,200 Posts
Awesome, this has helped me narrow down what I'm looking for... and it's pretty clear there is a great community here so I look forward to hopefully joining you guys soon!
Absolutely! Best of luck to you, should you get one definitely be sure to post pictures! Any assistance you might need or questions you might have, feel free to post here or PM me and we/I will help get you situated. :cool: Quite the community behind us in this platform.

·
Registered
407 Posts
@brian60, do you know if you can get sync3 on '13 and '14, can you get it on '15??

Personally, I don't think sync3 should be overlooked as an important feature. I love sync3, it's very smooth, never glitchy, and easy to use. I even prefer it over andoid auto most of the time (the only big downside is android auto has an awesome voice assistant where sync3's voice assistant is sub par).

·
Registered
5,568 Posts
You can buy the taller caliper brackets and rotors to convert the front brakes. The caliper, bolts and lines are the same

BV6Z-2B292-A
BV6Z-2B292-B

EJ7Z-1125-A

·
Super Moderator
2017 Ford Fusion Sport
8,200 Posts
@Brian, do you know if you can get sync3 on '13 and '14, can you get it on '15??

Personally, I don't think sync3 should be overlooked as an important feature. I love sync3, it's very smooth, never glitchy, and easy to use. I even prefer it over andoid auto most of the time (the only big downside is android auto has an awesome voice assistant where sync3's voice assistant is sub par).
I believe there are functionality problems that prohibits it, so they're uncompatible. I personally don't mind MyFordTouch..but the biggest complaint is usually navigation, and I use Waze 24/7 on my phone so it doesn't bother me since I don't use MFT's nav. Sync 3 does look really great and improved though. Certainly a little faster. I can live with my system though, personally. :)

·
Super Moderator
2017 Ford Fusion Sport
8,200 Posts
You can buy the taller caliper brackets and rotors to convert the front brakes. The caliper, bolts and lines are the same

BV6Z-2B292-A
BV6Z-2B292-B

EJ7Z-1125-A
Absolutely! Should you see a sweet deal on a 2013/Early-2014 car don't pass it up. Brakes can be upgraded with ease

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·

BV6Z-2B292-A
BV6Z-2B292-B

EJ7Z-1125-A
That's great to hear, but I think if I'm going to move away from the '16 car I have now, then I'd want the latest looking one, so I'm sold on the updated appearance of '15+... so it would be more like seeing if I'm OK with MyFordTouch, which was horrible early but has had updates to make it quite a bit better at least, or hold out for a '16+, that has other updates too... But, if it comes down to it, I will consider that for sure, there are the occasional '13-'14 that comes up with low mileage, I take it they don't have "issues" that Ford had to resolve in the '15+?

·
Registered
213 Posts
We went shopping in mid 2016 so there was a flood of 13-14s on the market and a few 15s. We only drove ST3s. After just sitting in a few ST1s and ST2s, it was night and day difference, my wife didn't even want to take a 1/2 out on the road. We felt there was a big difference between 13-14 and 15s. Now that I've seen some 16-17s at meets, yes there are differences between 15 and 16-17 but I'd say the difference is not nearly as much. Frankly, I could have gotten any ST and probably been happy, but I am happy in a gutted Foxbody racecar, so...what made the 15 ST3 for my wife (and ultimately that's what makes the purchase is both people being happy):

1. backup camera. she has never had this on a vehicle before, and it is literally a god send to someone who fears/sucks at backing up.
2. heated seats/wheel. if you fit the seats right, now you feel like you're being hugged and warmed. great for cold climates where the seat and wheel heat you far before the actual ac/heat does.
3. steering wheel layout and ac/heat/nav/console layout vs. 13-14

Some of the 3 options we found you can get on 1/2s, but we ended up just looking at low mile 3s because the options she wanted are standard and we were driving (sometimes 1 hour +) to go see these cars they were not as readily available then. Another thing to think about is how long you plan on keeping this thing...if you go through cars quickly, I'd look at what 13-14s go for now versus the later three years. The RS really crushed ST resale prices, and the 13-14s got hit HARD. Seen a few of them with reasonable miles 50-75k go for near 10,000.

Reactions: danbfree

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
I believe there are functionality problems that prohibits it, so they're uncompatible. I personally don't mind MyFordTouch..but the biggest complaint is usually navigation, and I use Waze 24/7 on my phone so it doesn't bother me since I don't use MFT's nav. Sync 3 does look really great and improved though. Certainly a little faster. I can live with my system though, personally. :)
Ya, I know MFT was horrible at first but got updates to make it quite a bit better... So is it safe to say overall that there aren't any major issues with the '13-'14 that Ford had to address later that would make it worth holding out for a '15+?

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 · (Edited)
We went shopping in mid 2016 so there was a flood of 13-14s on the market and a few 15s. We only drove ST3s. After just sitting in a few ST1s and ST2s, it was night and day difference, my wife didn't even want to take a 1/2 out on the road. We felt there was a big difference between 13-14 and 15s. Now that I've seen some 16-17s at meets, yes there are differences between 15 and 16-17 but I'd say the difference is not nearly as much. Frankly, I could have gotten any ST and probably been happy, but I am happy in a gutted Foxbody racecar, so...what made the 15 ST3 for my wife (and ultimately that's what makes the purchase is both people being happy):

1. backup camera. she has never had this on a vehicle before, and it is literally a god send to someone who fears/sucks at backing up.
2. heated seats/wheel. if you fit the seats right, now you feel like you're being hugged and warmed. great for cold climates where the seat and wheel heat you far before the actual ac/heat does.
3. steering wheel layout and ac/heat/nav/console layout vs. 13-14

Some of the 3 options we found you can get on 1/2s, but we ended up just looking at low mile 3s because the options she wanted are standard and we were driving (sometimes 1 hour +) to go see these cars they were not as readily available then. Another thing to think about is how long you plan on keeping this thing...if you go through cars quickly, I'd look at what 13-14s go for now versus the later three years. The RS really crushed ST resale prices, and the 13-14s got hit HARD. Seen a few of them with reasonable miles 50-75k go for near 10,000.
This is great stuff, exactly what I like to hear with details... so it's really Sync3 that's the main thing added after the '15 refresh in '16? And you know, it may well indeed be very tempting to get the '13-'14 at low prices, but I realize now for financing that it's usually the newer the better, but I am feeling more confident that earlier ones are fine too, it will just depend whether I feel like keeping it long-term, etc... I know backup camera is standard starting in '15, but don't want it on the tiny base head unit screen... heh.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
So looking at something like THIS, '15 ST2... sure it would be nice to have Sync3, but as long as I don't have the tiny base head unit, and the crappy looking base seats, I think this would work... but funny how the price has gone UP, I'll have to be careful to do my homework on that... maybe with the RS head gasket issues it's bringing ST prices back up?

·
Registered
483 Posts
I have a 2015 ST2. I don't know if I have sync or ford touch but it works great whatever I have. Also it was stated earlier that the 2015 doesn't have adaptive headlights. Mine does. I like the the look of the front end better on the 2015 up st's and that the front brakes are bigger. The only gripe I have is it appears that upgrading the shocks/struts, with a conventional spring set up, is easier in the earlier models based on availability of parts.

Reactions: danbfree

·
Registered
407 Posts
Depending on where you live too, getting an ST3 may be worth it, it was for me and very glad I did. Having heated seats, heated steering wheel, and heated side mirrors is pretty incredible. I'll never go back haha.

1 - 20 of 40 Posts