Ford Focus ST Forum banner

Considerations

2K views 20 replies 11 participants last post by  EcoBlueBomb 
#1 ·
Highly considering selling my ST. And buying an RS. I’ve had my ST since the day I drove it out of the dealership brand new in 2015. Only owner two fender benders neither were my fault. No frame damage so it’s okay haha. I’m currently stage 2. I have 115k miles roughly mostly highway because before I was transferred to my new location with my job I was driving almost an hour each way (worth it for my job at the time) anyways it’s in really good condition I’ve kept up on all maintenance and treated it well. It’s never been tracked but I have driven it spiritedly over the years from time to time I won’t lie I’ve driven it how it was intended to be driven not always but in good weather here and there. I’ve been a rally fan my whole life and the RS is something I’ve always wanted so I figure this will be possibly my last chance to get one before they’re all to beat to **** and back haha. It’s an ST3 package so I’m just curious as to what you guys think since this forum has always been a great starting point for any ideas with this car.

#3 ·
Seeing as they arent making ST/RS's anymore, now is a good time to find a replacement while you can still find them in good shape. Asking what yours is worth is a bit of a can of worms. High mileage, tuned and two accidents wont help the resale but I would guess around $12k. Here's a similar one going for that: Used 2013 Ford Focus 5dr HB ST for Sale in Marysville OH 43040 North Main Motors

If your budget allows for an RS, i would say go for it. Or just go ham on a used ST (big turbo/lsd and all the supporting mods.)

#4 ·
Seeing as this will be your DD, have you priced insurance and fuel costs? It sounds like you're much closer to work now, but the RS does get worse MPG. I mean, AWD is a massive plus. The only minuses i can think of are whatever options you're losing going from an ST3 focus to the RS (which im not familiar with the RS packages, So i cant comment on that directly).

#5 ·
Thanks guys, it’s in the budget always has been just didn’t ever pull the trigger on it because I didn’t want to give in to the stealerships hilarious markups. But I just didn’t wanna wait anymore. The MPG I don’t care about the other stuff I can find one with same package no issues I really just want the AWD I live in Cincinnati Ohio so it’ll help a lot. Like I said my ST will be paid in full within the next month or two so getting $10-$12 for it and putting pretty much all of it down on the RS would be the plan and then most likely the quaif sequential gearbox immediately after. I just am having a hard time with the idea of parting with the ST at all. Not really sure what I’m looking for here maybe I jsut need my fellow enthusiasts to tell me to pull the trigger haha

#8 ·
There are going to be things you miss about the ST, no matter what, if you buy the RS. Same as there are things you wish the ST had that the RS does have. The only way to have your cake and eat it too is to keep the ST and buy the RS and enjoy them both. Of course that isnt realistic so you have to decide for yourself which way you want to go. do you want it badly enough?

#14 ·
I mean I could have both of them it wouldn’t be that big of an issue once the ST is paid off I could always go get the RS I just already have four vehicles and I’m running out of places to keep them until I build my shop in the back yard which I’m not gonna do for a few more years cause kids and stuff haha. Anyways I’m all reality I’m not gonna rally it I just like that sequential gearbox it’s amazing I’d probably autox it form time to time for fun but it won’t be a full blown race car well maybe not at first haha. I’m tossing around like 20 ideas right now but this has been a car I’ve wanted to YEARS. Like I said since I first discovered them in Europe as a teenager I’ve wanted one. And I come from a family that goes deep in Ford. However not a single idea has ever been a Subaru they’re cool, they’re quick, but I’d have to buy an old one I think 07 or older when they were still Japanese made motors and even then ring failure isn’t really something I wanna mess with repeatedly not to bash on the Subaru’s or anything I’ve just known too many people with them I’ve driven a bunch and just not that impressed visually I think they’re ugly.

#12 ·
STis how dare you? Subarus have been alot of headaches as far as reliability goes. I mean THE RS had its issue with the headgasket, but the STI motor from like 09 to 18 had serious issues that Subaru did nothing about and they knew it. I mean you'll notice going to look at subies between those years lots of low mileage 2 owner less then 100k with factory replaced motors all over the place. Alot and I mean alot of short blocks. They had a problem with the 2.5 motor shredding metal shavings into the oil pan, I never got to indepth with exactly where they came from, I believe they must have thought it had something to do with PCV operation and the acidity created by it but all they added over those years was some.kind of factory air oil separator.

#13 ·
On a side note Nice rally RS

#15 ·
Well I’ll just post up some general comments , both pros and cons if you don’t mind.

• RS is rare. I see CTR/golf r/STi multiple time’s a day, granted I live in a nice area. I see another RS maybe once every 3 months? That’s being generous. I kind of like having that bit of exclusivity. Thankfully the ST community is still pretty big so not like I’m all alone
  • if you go from a foST to a foRS, lots of parts are swappable. Saves a bit of money
  • the ST is sort of a better daily driver. From a roll around city/highway speeds, a tuned stock turbo ST is just as fast, if not faster than the RS. It’s hard to explain but the ST makes so much torque low down. But above 130kmh it’s obviously RS for the win
  • the RS seats are a lot nicer than the st3 leathers. They look similar, but something about the RS is just better
  • you lose a lot of little things that the ST had, like coloured ambient light, puddle lamps on the mirrors etc.
  • the exhaust valve gets frozen shut in winter, locks you out of drive modes
  • the RDU overheats on track, locks you out of drive modes
  • the factory undertray will shred itself apart
  • the ride is appalling.
  • the brakes and cooling need upgrading.

if you wanted one, try to find one bone stock. People like to drive these cars hard, id never buy one with an unknown history. Lord knows I’ve thrashed mine.

good way to say it is, don’t think I could ever give mine up.

#17 ·
Well I’ll just post up some general comments , both pros and cons if you don’t mind.

• RS is rare. I see CTR/golf r/STi multiple time’s a day, granted I live in a nice area. I see another RS maybe once every 3 months? That’s being generous. I kind of like having that bit of exclusivity. Thankfully the ST community is still pretty big so not like I’m all alone
  • if you go from a foST to a foRS, lots of parts are swappable. Saves a bit of money
  • the ST is sort of a better daily driver. From a roll around city/highway speeds, a tuned stock turbo ST is just as fast, if not faster than the RS. It’s hard to explain but the ST makes so much torque low down. But above 130kmh it’s obviously RS for the win
  • the RS seats are a lot nicer than the st3 leathers. They look similar, but something about the RS is just better
  • you lose a lot of little things that the ST had, like coloured ambient light, puddle lamps on the mirrors etc.
  • the exhaust valve gets frozen shut in winter, locks you out of drive modes
  • the RDU overheats on track, locks you out of drive modes
  • the factory undertray will shred itself apart
  • the ride is appalling.
  • the brakes and cooling need upgrading.
if you wanted one, try to find one bone stock. People like to drive these cars hard, id never buy one with an unknown history. Lord knows I’ve thrashed mine.

good way to say it is, don’t think I could ever give mine up.
You make some very good points man definitely helps me a lot I appreciate you

#16 ·
115k is enough mileage that it's okay to let the ST go and not feel bad. Since the RS is an emotional purchase anyways, do pull the trigger since that's what you really want.

#18 ·
To be honest driving it, seeing it. Inside, outside, underneath, engine bay. You’d never ever know that kind of mileage was on it. I’ve taken such good care of it. Garage kept every night, I don’t drive it every day cause I have other vehicles but I drive it the most haha. It’s super clean, no rust, a few rock chips but whatever nothing major. I get compliments on it everywhere I go, the biggest one is it’s the cleanest looking ST they’ve ever seen. I don’t agree but it’s a really awesome car just really want that AWD.

#19 ·
Like you, I bought my 2015 ST brand new from the dealership and owned it for 4 years. Recently, I was re-ended pretty hard which caused enough damage to total it. I was really split between getting another ST or going with the RS. I then found a pretty good deal on a 2017 NB RS. Yes, the ride is stiffer and it’s not as good on gas, but it is so much fun to drive! Just going to the grocery store puts a smile on my face! It’s not perfect, but the RS is a pretty fantastic car for the hot hatch enthusiast. So I say go for it!

#20 ·
I’m always looking at used ST & RS Prices. The difference between a very low mileage 2017-2018 ST & 2016-2017 RS is about $12-13k. That’s a lot of cash to get worse MPGs & high insurance costs. But hey, if you want the RS body style, a 2.3L & AWD, you’re gonna have to pay for it.

Personally, I go back n forth, depending on my mood. Some days I say, I’ll I wanna spend is 18k so I’ll find an ST, then I see an RS & think about how sexy & rare it is & want one.

Nothing wrong with the ST though, still a fantastic looking Hatch & that can easily pass when you need to get away from annoying drivers.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

#21 ·
I say go for it, I would if I could. I see a couple around from time to time, all in NB of course. I heard one of them before I could see it and it sounded like rally car. Audi TT RS would be even better, since we are spending your money:)

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.