Ford Focus ST Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey, few days ago I run drag race. In around 130-120kph I want to shift to 4th gear but I miss it and shift into 2nd. I fully released clutch but when I realised what I did I immediately press full. But engine turned off. After a few minutes I tried to ignite and luckily it worked and seems to run normally till today.
My question is, is my engine all ok if computer does not shows any errors and idle mode is stable and power looks to be the same? Can this incident have any consequences in the future? In around a few weeks I plan to plug COBB AccessPort and do downpipe.

·
Registered
530 Posts
If it runs and drives fine with no codes, then you are probably fine. Your timing was probably pulled an extraordinary amount and you ran the risk of damaging a component like a connecting rod, but you would have known by now if that happened. Just curious, did you happen to see how high the RPMs went?

·
Registered
102 Posts
Over speed normally shears, bends, breaks things.

Was the shift at the engine red line? 6500 to 6800 rpm?

Oil pressure ok?

·
Registered
102 Posts
OK, math time!

If you shifted at 6500rpm in 3rd gear that would mean your you input into your final drive as going about 4920 rpm (3rd 1.321 gear ratio)

Shifting to 2nd (1.952 ratio) would mean that pre-final drive output shaft spinning at 4920rpm is now multiplied by 2nd gear to a potential 9600 rpm.

Now the good news is that due to the engine braking effects, clutch, and this not being a "perfect'/immediate transfer you may have only sped up the engine to a fraction of that speed.

If you got 75 to 90% of that RPM back into the engine, you are looking at 7200 to 8600 rpm.

I remember reading a post or builder article that no one knows yet how our oil pump holds up to high RPM work. If you spiked it to 7200, you're likely ok. If you hit 8600, there is likely something amiss.

Best bet is pulling the engine and trans oil. Look for glitter or chunks of metal. If nothing there, continue to monitor oil pressure and listen for noises. If nothing happens buy a lottery ticket.

Reactions: Melee

·
Registered
40 Posts
I did the exact same as OP over a year ago. Car went into limp mode ..so did ..other things :/ I drove it home, and let it sit. Came back out to the garage and fired it up. No codes, no noises & no smells. I drove it around really easy for a little bit because I was so paranoid. I changed the oil and low behold ...nothing. Everything was great. This was back when I was stock, I've since done a lot of work to my car and its pulling strong. Just as strong as my 14 did. What whack was talking about is true, I was turning a lot of RPMs for less than half of a second, I'm not even sure I let my foot completely off the clutch, it all happened so fast. Either way I wouldn't worry about

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thank guys for answer.
Several days passed and nothing disturbing. I ran hard (to red line) a few times and power looks the same. I hope it wont change :)
But back to this incident, as I remember and saw gauges correctly, tip of the tachometer was over 8k, gear change (from 3 to 2) was made in 6k rpm, I'm sure not more, maybe even 5,5k

1 - 6 of 6 Posts