Ford Focus ST Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
1,030 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm in the process of installing a rear dash cam that has a red wire to be attached to the reverse light so that the front display can trigger the rear dash cam view whenever the reverse light comes on.

What's the best way to hook this up. Should I just splice it into the red wire for one of the two rear reverse lights? I checked and didn't see any fuses or other locations that will be cold until the reverse light comes on.

I plan to use this dash cam package:

Amazon.com: VanTop H612T 12” 4K Mirror Dash Cam for Cars, Voice Control Full Touch Screen Rear View Mirror Camera, GPS Tracking, Waterproof Backup Camera 2.5K Max, 8MP Sony Sensor for Super Night Vision: Car Electronics

·
Registered
1,030 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
2014 ST3.

·
Registered
1,030 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
The rear dash cam gets power from the front dashcam, so that's not an issue. It's the trigger wire that I am talking about. How do I connect the trigger wire to the reverse lamp unit? is there a place to tap into the wire leading to the lamp, or do I need to cut the wire and do a 3-wire splice? Hate to cut a wire if I don't have to....

Thanks!

·
Registered
927 Posts
My buddy is an electrician and introduced me to this type of connector: https://www.amazon.com/120-PCS-Wire...ds=3+way+wire+connector&qid=1623607331&sr=8-4
He gets them locally, & I can easily say that the quality was excellent compared to the ones I linked, but you get the idea. There are ways to make a splice supremely easy now-a-days.

Just an FYI, I didn't and never would buy the **** product I linked from Amazon. Just for an example if you don't find a better solution. ;)

Reactions: Scrumhalf

·
Registered
1,030 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Damn, that's cool. Thanks, I'll look into a connector like that. It's been a while since I did electrical work lol... sure is easy with these solutions these days!

Reactions: Smokin' Joe

·
Registered
927 Posts
My bad, those weren't the ones I initially looked at. Still China made so you know what to expect in that regard. They don't seem terrible with a thicker metal contact & actually using copper (certainly a lesser % in an alloy). I only have a couple left now that I checked inventory and didn't feeling like driving since they're closed today (locally), lol.

·
Registered
1,030 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
The fuse diagram sticky indicates that Fuse 29 is for the Park Assist camera. Now, my 2014 does not have a park assist camera, but I am wondering if the circuitry for Fuse 29 is triggered anyway by engaging the reverse gear. That way, I could just connect my trigger wire to Fuse 29 with a add-a-circuit. That will save me the trouble of opening the light assembly and tapping into the wire for the reverse light. I might give it a try to see what happens.

·
Premium Member
885 Posts

·
Premium Member
610 Posts
The fuse diagram sticky indicates that Fuse 29 is for the Park Assist camera. Now, my 2014 does not have a park assist camera, but I am wondering if the circuitry for Fuse 29 is triggered anyway by engaging the reverse gear. That way, I could just connect my trigger wire to Fuse 29 with a add-a-circuit. That will save me the trouble of opening the light assembly and tapping into the wire for the reverse light. I might give it a try to see what happens.
Let me know how this goes. I've been putting off putting a backup camera in my car since I bought it. Now that my wife has a Camry with one, I find myself actively missing it when I drive my car, especially for the rare occasions I parallel park. If there's already a dedicated reverse camera wire/fuse I can just tap into, that might ease my concerns.

·
Registered
1,030 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Let me know how this goes. I've been putting off putting a backup camera in my car since I bought it. Now that my wife has a Camry with one, I find myself actively missing it when I drive my car, especially for the rare occasions I parallel park. If there's already a dedicated reverse camera wire/fuse I can just tap into, that might ease my concerns.
Will do! I'm waiting for the parts to arrive. I should be able to hook it all up by next weekend. Living in a condo with underground parking sucks. I hate doing electrical work in the car with a head-mounted flashlight in the evening. Would love to have my own garage...

Reactions: ryno9100

·
Registered
2014 Focus ST3
112 Posts
I installed my rear view camera and related mirror yesterday. (I went with the Toguard this time as the Vantop was good, but I found it to be too dark as a regular rear view mirror when the camera was off.) I was wondering about the reverse trigger, as I didn't have time to mess with it. I'll probably be playing with it again later tonight or tomorrow and I'll try that fuse position, though if I had to guess, I'd bet it's powered all the time and maybe sees a voltage change as a trigger.

I'll report back what I find...

·
Registered
2014 Focus ST3
112 Posts
Well, in my car, F29 and F30 actually had no wires run to them at all, so that way to do it was out. I did find that the green/red (green wire with red stripe) is the reverse positive wire coming out of the harness and so I tapped into it and glorious morning, I have reverse activation!

1 - 14 of 14 Posts