Ford Focus ST Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Time for a confession. I've never actually launched or practiced launching my car, but now I'm hoping to change that with a few nights at a drag strip near by. My only thing is that I'm confused as to how to launch the car properly to get a good time. Now before I get flamed, I've done a search and read all of the threads about launching. I get that you need to slip the clutch (step off moderately slow) and modulate the throttle but I have a couple more specific questions that I hope I can get help with

1. Should I use the launch control that comes with my tune? Or should I try it without

2. If I do, I know not to dump the clutch, but what do you do about throttle? In order to engage launch control, you have to step down all of the way. Once you start letting the clutch out, do you back off the throttle a bit or keep it pinned? Backing off seems like the correct answer but I'm not sure on exactly how much

Any help with this? I'd like to get a decent time and improve once I get out there

·
Registered
944 Posts
It's going to depend a lot on what tires you are using and physical traction control devices are in play (traction bars, suspension), you'll be better off learning the car by doing than speculating. It's a dance on slipping the clutch and accelerator modulation that makes these fwd torque beasts a handful to launch, hence why a lot of us don't bother.

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
It's going to depend a lot on what tires you are using and physical traction control devices are in play (traction bars, suspension), you'll be better off learning the car by doing than speculating. It's a dance on slipping the clutch and accelerator modulation that makes these fwd torque beasts a handful to launch, hence why a lot of us don't bother.
I'm on the stock Goodyears with a Mountune intercooler and a stage 1 tune from Stratified. Definitely hear what you're saying about the cars being a handful to launch. I just want to get some practice in without being a dink on the street. I've mostly done autocross but why not go to the strip ya know?

·
Registered
944 Posts
I'm on the stock Goodyears with a Mountune intercooler and a stage 1 tune from Stratified. Definitely hear what you're saying about the cars being a handful to launch. I just want to get some practice in without being a dink on the street. I've mostly done autocross but why not go to the strip ya know?
Launching on the street vs. a prepped track is a whole different story, I practice on the street (empty streets) since that's where the majority of my launching is done. But, take it to the track, fun to see what numbers you can get.

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Launching on the street vs. a prepped track is a whole different story, I practice on the street (empty streets) since that's where the majority of my launching is done. But, take it to the track, fun to see what numbers you can get.
So how do you normally do it, launch control and keep the throttle pinned? Launch control and back off the throttle while slipping the clutch? Or the good ol fashioned way without the launch control

·
Registered
944 Posts
So how do you normally do it, launch control and keep the throttle pinned? Launch control and back off the throttle while slipping the clutch? Or the good ol fashioned way without the launch control
I usually pin the throttle, slip the clutch until it grabs then modulate the throttle before it starts spinning at the top of 1st. But, tbh I get pretty good launches not using the launch control and just slipping enough to let it eat and hope the cobb tc takes care of me.

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I usually pin the throttle, slip the clutch until it grabs then modulate the throttle before it starts spinning at the top of 1st. But, tbh I get pretty good launches not using the launch control and just slipping enough to let it eat and hope the cobb tc takes care of me.
Sweet thanks!

1 - 7 of 7 Posts