Ford Focus ST Forum banner
1 - 20 of 41 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Reading others post I get that there is a general concensus that the ford recommended oil change interval is too long, with a lot of you guys changing your oil for the first time well ahead of when the oil monitor goes off. Are there any of us that are going by the ford recommended interval? I know 10k seems like a long time for the factory fill, but I just don't want to throw money to the wind by needlessly changing the oil more often than necessary. Thoughts? Because I bought my '16 with close to 200mi on the odo from when they had to drive the car from a sister dealership to the one I bought it from. 200mi of who knows what kind of driver they sent. I'm thinking my first will be around 5k and the rest based off the oil life monitor. Also- I have long commutes that see good warm up and plenty of highway miles before a cool down during the work day and I can already smell fuel on my dipstick at its current milage of 2k. What do you all think?

·
Registered
1,190 Posts
Do whatever feels right. Seriously.

I go by time as much as I do mileage. I drive about a thousand miles a month so I change the oil twice a year. Once before winter, once before summer. Pennzoil Platinum full syn.

·
Registered
483 Posts
Since you're unsure why don't you change it at 5K. Send a sample to Blackstone for an oil analysis, pay the extra for the extra analysis to analyze the additives left in the oil. If all looks good do the next one at 6K. I did this with my 2002 powerstroke and was at a point where I was changing the oil at 7K intervals. Blackstone suggested I try 8K. That just felt weird considering when I was a teenager everyone was pushing 3K mile intervals.

For the record I do my Focus at 5K mile intervals. I only drive it about 7K a year. My trucks and the wifes Fusion I change at 6K mile intervals.

·
Registered
395 Posts
I'm planning on 5k for my first oil change and after my next 5k I'll send a sample to blackstone to see if I can let it go for longer.

·
Super Moderator
2017 Ford Fusion Sport
8,200 Posts
I use mobile 1 full synthetic and change it every 3k because that's what I've always done with everything except the motorcycle and four wheelers.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk
I have done 3k with all my vehicles including my GSX-R but actually don't with the ST since 1- It's pointless for me 2- I put 2k miles a MONTH highway on my car 3- Mobile 1 Full Synth is (expensive) some top notch stuff and I know it'll keep us safe above 5k and even to the factory recommended 7k

·
Registered
1,576 Posts
I have done 3k with all my vehicles including my GSX-R but actually don't with the ST since 1- It's pointless for me 2- I put 2k miles a MONTH highway on my car 3- Mobile 1 Full Synth is (expensive) some top notch stuff and I know it'll keep us safe above 5k and even to the factory recommended 7k
I run my fz6 pretty hard when I'm out so it gets frequent changes. Same with the four wheelers. The car will get a few pulls and spirited driving through the week so it gets every 3k for piece of mind if nothing else. An oil change is $45-50, an engine is much more.

·
Registered
180 Posts
Jumping in here. The factory interval is not 7K miles, it is when the oil life monitor says it's time to change. Quoting from Pg. 472 of the 2014 Focus owners manual:

"Intelligent Oil-Life Monitor® Your vehicle is equipped with an Intelligent Oil-Life Monitor® that determines when the engine oil needs to be changed based on how your vehicle is used. By using several important factors in its calculations, the monitor helps reduce the cost of owning your vehicle and reduce environmental waste at the same time. This means you won’t have to remember to change the oil on a mileage-based schedule; the vehicle lets you know when an oil change is due by displaying ENGINE OIL CHANGE DUE or OIL CHANGE REQUIRED in the information display. The following table is intended to provide examples of vehicle use and its impact on engine oil change intervals; it is provided as a guideline only. Actual engine oil change intervals depend on several factors and generally decrease with severity of use."

Below this statement is a table that, in effect, says the following: normal use, expect 7,500-10,000 mile intervals. Severe use, expect 5,000-7,500. Extreme use, expect 3,000-5,000.

This isn't new technology. Mercedes introduced the Flexible Service System in 1998 models. My '98 and '01 E-class cars went 13K-14K between services with a mix of commuting and highway miles. Having been in MBCA for a long time, I never heard of anyone managing to wear out one of these engines, even at 500K miles.

·
Super Moderator
2017 Ford Fusion Sport
8,200 Posts
I run my fz6 pretty hard when I'm out so it gets frequent changes. Same with the four wheelers. The car will get a few pulls and spirited driving through the week so it gets every 3k for piece of mind if nothing else. An oil change is $45-50, an engine is much more.

Yes you're right. However, $270-300 a YEAR for me isn't worth the money at all not even a tiny wee bit. You're right, engines are pricey (our's is what...$7k?) but waiting to change mine at 5, 6, or 7k miles most likely won't cost me any more than a year worth of life out of it. Highway miles mainly anyway so they aren't hard fought miles. I could easily go 9k on this oil if I were inclined, but that's just dumb lol.

·
Registered
768 Posts
With today's oil AND engine technology, 3,000 mile oil changes are not peace of mind, it's a total waste of money, resources, and the environment; period, dot. It buys you nothing in regard to engine longevity, service, or any of that. If you are uncomfortable or unsure about following the monitor, get an oil analysis. I plan on sharing the results of my first analysis soon.

·
Premium Member
1,152 Posts
I'm changing mine out this weekend for the first time, I've owned the car for 4.5 months but it was built in the summer of 2016, it has 2005 miles on it.
going mobile Full Synth 5w-30 with Motorcraft FL400s filter.

I don't plan on changing it again for 6 months or 5,000 miles. So probably 6 months since I drive it maybe once a week or on the weekend for a hundred miles.

·
Super Moderator
2017 Ford Fusion Sport
8,200 Posts
With today's oil AND engine technology, 3,000 mile oil changes are not peace of mind, it's a total waste of money, resources, and the environment; period, dot. It buys you nothing in regard to engine longevity, service, or any of that. If you are uncomfortable or unsure about following the monitor, get an oil analysis. I plan on sharing the results of my first analysis soon.
Correct, ESPECIALLY with Full Synthetic oil...Mobil 1 at that.

I'm changing mine out this weekend for the first time, I've owned the car for 4.5 months but it was built in the summer of 2016, it has 2005 miles on it.
going mobile Full Synth 5w-30 with Motorcraft FL400s filter.

I don't plan on changing it again for 6 months or 5,000 miles. So probably 6 months since I drive it maybe once a week or on the weekend for a hundred miles.
5k is usually what I do mine at...but 7 won't hurt it either. 5 is a nice middle ground between cautious and not wasting too much money to me.

·
Registered
311 Posts
The old 3,000 mile oil/filter change rule was a marketing exercise by Pennzoil and associated companies. With modern oils it is OBSOLETE so you are just throwing your money away. Go by the engine monitor, or once a year if you don't drive that much, and the engine will live long. If you aren't convinced send a sample to Blackstone and get third party confirmation.

·
Super Moderator
2017 Ford Fusion Sport
8,200 Posts
The old 3,000 mile oil/filter change rule was a marketing exercise by Pennzoil and associated companies. With modern oils it is OBSOLETE so you are just throwing your money away. Go by the engine monitor, or once a year if you don't drive that much, and the engine will live long. If you aren't convinced send a sample to Blackstone and get third party confirmation.
Correct. Mostly. The 3k change myth is literally the 2nd best example of marketing ever. The only better marketing is the "Diamonds are valuable" (which costs us males way more than it should for an invaluable rock) bullsh**. People preached and preached it until everyone believed it and now it won't go away.

The part you aren't 100% correct on is the engine monitor. Some cars have estimated monitors that just randomly light up at XX miles and stuff...so it's possible for it to be inaccurate.

I think the most effective thing to do by all means is send it for analysis and go by that for sure.

Edit: And yes, the diamond thing is true lol. Look into it and you'll find they are not at all rare and they are abundant. Thanks to marketing they became super valuable and now the price of them is ridiculous.

·
Registered
1,576 Posts
You pay for my oil analysis and I'll be happy to do it. Otherwise I'll keep doing what I'm doing.

·
Registered
552 Posts

·
Registered
552 Posts
with today's oil and engine technology, 3,000 mile oil changes are not peace of mind, it's a total waste of money, resources, and the environment; period, dot. It buys you nothing in regard to engine longevity, service, or any of that. If you are uncomfortable or unsure about following the monitor, get an oil analysis. I plan on sharing the results of my first analysis soon.
the old 3,000 mile oil/filter change rule was a marketing exercise by pennzoil and associated companies. With modern oils it is obsolete so you are just throwing your money away. Go by the engine monitor, or once a year if you don't drive that much, and the engine will live long. If you aren't convinced send a sample to blackstone and get third party confirmation.
this

1 - 20 of 41 Posts