Ford Focus ST Forum banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I know this is probably a nooby question but i've been looking and can't seem to find a straight answer,
Does anyone know what temps should the inlet and the outlet of the turbo should be running for peak performance? I've got a Forge FMIC that was on the car when i bought it, along with a couple extra little goodies. I recently bought the COBB tuner and tuned it to Stage 1, i'm pushing almost 23 psi, and at their peak my inlet temp is around 70F, and my outlet temp is around 212F.What is everyone else getting for the temps? Is 23 psi too much for the stock turbo to handle(Not for long burst)?
Any answers are greatly appreciated!
Thanks,
Fixter

·
Registered
2,733 Posts
Worry more about charged air temps. You don't want those to go more than 15-20*F above ambient. A really good fmic will keep it around ambient.

Reactions: Fixter

·
Registered
420 Posts
23 PSI is fine on the stock turbo, I am pretty sure that stage 3 you run 30 PSI

Also, if you have a FMIC, shouldn't you be running stage 2 on the Cobb? I thought stage one was intake and CBE.

212 degrees sounds like the circuit is open on your outlet temp, like it is unplugged or something.

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Would i be able to get away with running stage 2? I thought it was the FMIC, downpipe, and exhaust to run stage 2.
Also thank you everyone for your replies!

·
Super Moderator
2017 Ford Fusion Sport
8,194 Posts
23 PSI is fine on the stock turbo, I am pretty sure that stage 3 you run 30 PSI

Also, if you have a FMIC, shouldn't you be running stage 2 on the Cobb? I thought stage one was intake and CBE.

212 degrees sounds like the circuit is open on your outlet temp, like it is unplugged or something.
Wrong, 23.5 psi is the MAX that our stock turbo should see. Above that is too much. If he's not above that, however, it is fine as long as he watches his temps/corrections. Stage 3 I see 23.1 peak sometimes at the most.
Snippet of the email Stratified Automotive sends you with their tune files:
Screenshot_20170124-100005.png

Would i be able to get away with running stage 2? I thought it was the FMIC, downpipe, and exhaust to run stage 2.
Also thank you everyone for your replies!
Stage 2 is with FMIC, you can run stage 2. Stage 3 is with a Downpipe.

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Thanks for all of the replies guys. Put on the Charge air temp gage on my way to work this morning and was getting ambient when just cruising. Pushing the car a little i only got 3 degrees above ambient hitting high 22s psi. Ill try loading the stage 2 onto the car tonight, I'm using the stock intake with a green filter, Boomba Throttle body spacer, and Boomba BOV, along with the Forge FMIC. Any more suggestions on what i should be watching gage wise is appreciated, new here and trying to get as educated as i can on what i got and what to do.

·
Super Moderator
2017 Ford Fusion Sport
8,194 Posts
Thanks for all of the replies guys. Put on the Charge air temp gage on my way to work this morning and was getting ambient when just cruising. Pushing the car a little i only got 3 degrees above ambient hitting high 22s psi. Ill try loading the stage 2 onto the car tonight, I'm using the stock intake with a green filter, Boomba Throttle body spacer, and Boomba BOV, along with the Forge FMIC. Any more suggestions on what i should be watching gage wise is appreciated, new here and trying to get as educated as i can on what i got and what to do.
What really matters is doing a full 4th gear pull from about 4k rpms. See how much it changes if you run it clear to redline and then you'll know if it works really well or meh. My 3.5" CP-E lightweight varied about 4-6 degrees which is awesome and perfectly fine with me.

·
Registered
2,733 Posts
I like to watch air fuel ratio, boost pressure, and ignition correction on all 4 cylinders. Ignition correction shows the ECU advancing or regarding the timing. If you see more than -1 it's a good idea to lift.

Here's a good article to check out (might as well read all of the articles at some point): http://stratifiedauto.com/blog/unde...ons-in-your-high-performance-ecoboost-engine/

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Ran a quick pull in 4th gear, would've brought it up to redline but ran out of highway...not really sure what to look for too much but i do see my charge temps go way up there around 5500RPM, is that normal? What other numbers should i be expecting? (PS This is still the Stage 1 COBB Tune)
Thanks for all the replies,
Fixter
https://www.dropbox.com/s/qiqzcr28b6bdrrc/datalog2.csv.csv?dl=0

·
Registered
506 Posts
Ran a quick pull in 4th gear, would've brought it up to redline but ran out of highway...not really sure what to look for too much but i do see my charge temps go way up there around 5500RPM, is that normal? What other numbers should i be expecting? (PS This is still the Stage 1 COBB Tune)
Thanks for all the replies,
Fixter
https://www.dropbox.com/s/qiqzcr28b6bdrrc/datalog2.csv.csv?dl=0
Upload your datlogs to datazap and send us that link. It's an online software that generates the graphs so anyone can click on it and immediately read the log. By giving us a file we have to go in and upload it ourselves

Tap Tap Tap...

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 · (Edited)
Upload your datlogs to datazap and send us that link. It's an online software that generates the graphs so anyone can click on it and immediately read the log. By giving us a file we have to go in and upload it ourselves

Tap Tap Tap...
datazap.me | Fixter | Short 4th gear pull
Ill try and take some better pull logs after work, also going to try loading stage 2 on it and see what the numbers look like.

EDIT: Looking at these logs do you guys think id still be ok to try out stage 2?

·
Super Moderator
2017 Ford Fusion Sport
8,194 Posts
datazap.me | Fixter | Short 4th gear pull
Ill try and take some better pull logs after work, also going to try loading stage 2 on it and see what the numbers look like.
You said they were only going up 3 degrees over ambient? They seem like they are spiking a lot to me...like upgrade your intercooler level of spiking

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
You said they were only going up 3 degrees over ambient? They seem like they are spiking a lot to me...like upgrade your intercooler level of spiking
I was seeing 3 degrees over ambient when i was just cruising at a steady 3K(Now realizing what i really should be looking at when we are talking about charge temps...) Now i see its way up there when i give it a good pull, should the numbers be that high for that level of boost and RPM?

·
Super Moderator
2017 Ford Fusion Sport
8,194 Posts
I was seeing 3 degrees over ambient when i was just cruising at a steady 3K(Now realizing what i really should be looking at when we are talking about charge temps...) Now i see its way up there when i give it a good pull, should the numbers be that high for that level of boost and RPM?
On a sub-par intercooler, those numbers are what I'd expect. Though it's different for each car and intercooler. Typically anything over 15-20 degrees like someone said on the 1st page is worth upgrading your intercooler to protect your car when you try to push more power. You're seeing 30-40 degree differences, which are not favorable.

Edit: Also, have you seen people complaining about heat soak? Where you do a run then if you do another one back to back your car is way less powerful for some reason? It's because you didn't give it time to cool down. Look at the 3rd peak in your chart. Your temps reach 90+ degrees because of heat soak. That's a no-no.

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
This is what was on the car when i bought it:
Forge Motorsports Intercooler Kit Focus ST 2013+
It also has all of the Forge Silicon charge pipes, I did not install this, so i will double check all the hoses and clamps tonight. What could the high temps be a result of? And besides getting a new FMIC what could i do to bring down those temps?

·
Super Moderator
2017 Ford Fusion Sport
8,194 Posts
This is what was on the car when i bought it:
Forge Motorsports Intercooler Kit Focus ST 2013+
It also has all of the Forge Silicon charge pipes, I did not install this, so i will double check all the hoses and clamps tonight. What could the high temps be a result of? And besides getting a new FMIC what could i do to bring down those temps?
An insufficient intercooler
Nothing...aside from getting a new one

The forge cooler has only a little over 100 cubic inches more volume than the stock one so it's a definite improvement, but for the price I think you can do way better. 1000 bucks is enough money for the CPE Delta 5.5" FMIC or the much cheaper "BEAST" intercooler from DEPO racing that's also 5.5". Those intercoolers have over 500 cubic inches more volume than the stock one.

Edit: Since it has the charge pipes already, might as well go 5.5" and then get a big turbo :D lmao

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
An insufficient intercooler
Nothing...aside from getting a new one

The forge cooler has only a little over 100 cubic inches more volume than the stock one so it's a definite improvement, but for the price I think you can do way better. 1000 bucks is enough money for the CPE Delta 5.5" FMIC or the much cheaper "BEAST" intercooler from DEPO racing that's also 5.5". Those intercoolers have over 500 cubic inches more volume than the stock one.

Edit: Since it has the charge pipes already, might as well go 5.5" and then get a big turbo :D lmao
Thanks for all the help and info man, trying to get as familiarized with the car as i can. Really appreciate it!

Reactions: brian60

·
Super Moderator
2017 Ford Fusion Sport
8,194 Posts
Thanks for all the help and info man, trying to get as familiarized with the car as i can. Really appreciate it!
Not a problem buddy, feel free to contact me if you ever have any questions and don't wanna wait for a response in a post. I'll try to give you a response and if I can't I'll help you find it. I've learned a lot about our cars in the past few months here on the forum and my own research.

Glad I could help!

Brian

1 - 20 of 22 Posts