Ford Focus ST Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
195 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I tried to do some searches for differences in temps, @ WoT Gears 1-4, idle, and cruising and couldn't find much on the LW Core.
I know the Full size is rare 5 over ambient, but can anyone chime in on both, at set gears/ranges?

I want to see if the Lightweight is worth the price drop and weight decrease vs the proven Full size.

Sent from my XT1650 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
312 Posts
I wish I would have done what your doing and compare. I have the CPE lightweight and the max I have seen it over ambient was around 5-8. I wish I would have been more patient and got the delta core. I decided to go with the lightweight because the normal size was like a 2 month wait time.

·
Super Moderator
2017 Ford Fusion Sport
8,198 Posts
Nothing wrong with the Lightweight at all, do you plan on going Big Turbo? The lightweight would work fine with BT, but that's the only reason you'd need the full one.

·
Registered
195 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 · (Edited)
Nothing wrong with the Lightweight at all, do you plan on going Big Turbo? The lightweight would work fine with BT, but that's the only reason you'd need the full one.
I do, yes. But i daily this, so i don't plan on going much over 350whp.
I like the Lightweight also, because it is significantly lighter as well as more affordable.

How much power is it rated up to?
5-8 over ambient is excellent.
But 3-5 is enticing too, lol.

·
Registered
195 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Maybe context would help:
I'm not into straightline speed, i just need enough to beat most instigators on street from time to time.

I am more focused on AutoX and road course / circuit driving. Hence i'll be putting more focus on suspension, brakes, and tires.
But of course, cooler temps will mean better reliability and endurance.

·
Super Moderator
2017 Ford Fusion Sport
8,198 Posts
I do, yes. But i daily this, so i don't plan on going much over 350whp.
I like the Lightweight also, because it is significantly lighter as well as more affordable.

Much much power is it rated up to?
5-8 over ambient is excellent.
But 3-5 is enticing too, lol.

It would work perfectly for those numbers without issue. I'm not sure if there is an official horsepower rating anywhere but it's above 400. They designed the lightweight to be mainly for the stock turbo and the big bad one for BT utilization originally, but again it would do fine with BT which has been proven time and time again.

Edit: Heck, people run Mishimoto crappy intercoolers with BTs on their STs and don't have much issue so the CP-E unit would blow it out of the water.

·
Super Moderator
2017 Ford Fusion Sport
8,198 Posts
Maybe context would help:
I'm not into straightline speed, i just need enough to beat most instigators on street from time to time.

I am more focused on AutoX and road course / circuit driving. Hence i'll be putting more focus on suspension, brakes, and tires.
But of course, cooler temps will mean better reliability and endurance.

I describe my driving style to be identical to this. I like pulling on meddling highway bandits, but also autocross and hate heat soak. Upgrade suspension (haven't done that yet other than traction bar), upgrade tires/wheels, Hawk HPS brakes, intercooler, etc and boom. Way better performance for those needs. The lightweight saves you money for other stuff and some weight while you're at it, without needing to go BT 400+ hp you can get away with Lightweight with ease, but if you want to dish the extra $$ and go big or go home it'll be there when you need it and do a little better on temps. Is the few degrees worth the dough and extra weight in your eyes? If it's negligible then go big. Keep in mind that even the lightweight is bigger than like 90% of the options out there right now...it's a great piece.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts