Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
NOT CURRENT PICS

20160913_111640.jpg
20160913_111715.jpg

20150520_204407.jpg

20150521_170953.jpg

20160623_230719.jpg

20170522_212030.jpg

Click on for a link to the product. Click the post number to be taken to that post in my build thread with install notes and pics.[/B]

MOD ------------------------------------------------------ POST #

PERFORMANCE - STAGE 3+

BRAKES

SHIFTING

VISUAL EXTERIOR

VISUAL INTERIOR

SUSPENSION

UNDER HOOD NON PERFORMANCE

DYNOS (CLICK FOR PICS)

Dyno Dynamics dyno
93 octane, bone stock, 50 deg air temp
4/5/2014, 1,200 miles
NOTES: I know the TQ number seems pretty high for a stock car, and I'm not thrilled with the printouts/screenshots either. Regardless, this is a baseline for comparison.

---HP-----TQ---

Mustang dyno
93 octane, Cobb catback, Green filter, Denso ITV22 plugs, 75 deg air temp
7/26/2014, 8,000 miles
NOTES: This was at the CJPP meet, and since we had access I figured I'd see what I put down on a different dyno. These numbers are more believable than the Dyno Dynamics numbers I had gotten earlier. Also, this is the same dyno that CJPP used for their shop car, and stock for stock mine put down a little more power than theirs, which made me happy.

--HP---TQ--

It's a very long story as to how I got my ST (in January ordered Titanium, came in with wrong trans, re-ordered Titanium, got a new job, dropped order and bought this OW ST), but it really began back in '12ish when the new Focus came out and the speculation of the ST started. Ever since I've longingly looked at pics and read reviews and drooled over showcars at the NYAS, and through a very strange series of events I finally ended up with Cody!

First day in work lot, 3/27/14
ST2, Moonroof, Nav, 18" Rado Grey wheels

20140327_065934.jpg

First thing I wanted to do was get a baseline dyno. My cousin owns a shop with a Dyno Dynamics 4 wheel dyno, so we strapped him on in April. 93 octane, cool day, 3 runs, best run 244 whp 309 wtq. I know the tq is way high for what a typical stock ST puts down, not really sure why.
NOTE: for some reason the chart reads flywheel, but the DD dynos measure wheel hp.

20140405_125121.jpg

Next was exhaust. I listened to countless videos and decided to go with the Cobb cat-back. I'm very happy with it.
EDIT: It does have a bit of a drone when you're leaning into the throttle. If you're looking for a zero drone exhaust, look elsewhere.

I hated how long the shift throws are, so I got the Cobb short throw shift plate, set to 40%. The throws are much shorter and crisper, but I'd still like a shorter throw and shorter shift height, so the Boomba STS is next.
EDIT: Installed the Boomba STS, absolutely love the feel of these 2 combined. You would achieve the same with the Boomba shift plate as well.

Next came 25% SunTec tint all around and a rear debadge.
EDIT: It's pretty damn impossible to see out the back at night when there are no street lights with the tint. I upgraded to LED reverse lights, which makes it a little better, but I still need moar lumens.

View attachment 57749
20140508_175348.jpg

RokBlokz short black mud flaps were next. They definitely help keep the car clean. I still get road spray from rain and salt, but it's less than without the flaps. They also keep the rear a little cleaner as well.

·
Registered
1,669 Posts
309wtq stock?

·
Registered
386 Posts
Did your car come with painted calipers? or did you do them yourself? Love the progression, I'm doing the same kinds of things, except I only have an ST1, so the first thing is a system. Looks good!

·
Premium Member
639 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
309wtq stock?
Yup. It seems real high but the DD dynos are very reliable. It also helped that it was a real cool day, we were at sea level, and there was at least 20 minutes of down time between each run.

Did your car come with painted calipers? or did you do them yourself? Love the progression, I'm doing the same kinds of things, except I only have an ST1, so the first thing is a system. Looks good!
It came painted red. Although I never saw it explicitly mentioned anywhere, it must come with the rims as part of the $375 option.
As for you having an ST1, no problem with that! You're lighter than the ST2 and ST3 cars right out of the box. Check out Flora's build, he's done some really nice work with his white ST1.

·
Registered
1,669 Posts
Yup. It seems real high but the DD dynos are very reliable. It also helped that it was a real cool day, we were at sea level, and there was at least 20 minutes of down time between each run.

It came painted red. Although I never saw it explicitly mentioned anywhere, it must come with the rims as part of the $375 option.
As for you having an ST1, no problem with that! You're lighter than the ST2 and ST3 cars right out of the box. Check out Flora's build, he's done some really nice work with his white ST1.
Nice numbers :)

And yes, the painted calipers do come with the Rado gray wheel package

·
Registered
386 Posts
Nice numbers :)

And yes, the painted calipers do come with the Rado gray wheel package
I see, I'm just going to paint them myself, on the off chance it doesn't rain one day in this Florida summer, and I've checked out FLora, great build there, Just about to get a job that pays ~30-40% more than my current job, so lets say I may be making my own build thread soon ;)

·
Registered
318 Posts
You're going to have to get some star wars bling to go with your theme. Some stickers or something lol gota represent.

·
Premium Member
639 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
FALL UPDATE

It's been over three months and a bunch of small mods since my first post, so let's get down to it.

Obligatory 12,345 miles pic
20140924_162000.jpg

ENGINE/BAY
I popped in the 1 step colder Denso ITV22 plugs just after the fist post, so I've got 3 months of use and data on them so far. My impression: great "upgrade", and I'm not sure why these weren't the plugs from factory. I've seen my average MPG (same commute, same driving style) go from a calculated (not dash indicated) 26 to a solid 28. Even managed to get 30 on an economy driving-style tank. Below is a pic of the stock plugs. Some people on the forum said they had gaps on theirs that were quite out of spec, but mine were all fine.
In addition to the increased MPG, I think it idles smoother, and my back end and tailpipe have MUCH LESS GRIME! Great news all around.
plugs.jpg

While we're underhood, I plasti-dipped the battery and fuse box cover. I went too thick, about 6 coats, and the coating around the letters is bubbly and doesn't look good up close, so eventually I'll redo these. Maybe have them hydrodipped or just spay paint.
Picked up Redline hood struts at the summer CJ Pony Parts meet, and installed the Steeda symposer delete plate (after this pic, so the tubing is still there). I couldn't hear the symposer over my exhaust but I wanted it gone anyway for a cleaner engine bay.
20141003_143440.jpg 20141003_143446.jpg

No air filter cover because turbo noises. In the spring I'd like to get the FSWerks CAI.

INTERIOR
Picked up the parking brake handle cover on Amazon for $14. I like the concept of it, but I wish it was the same color as the silver trim in the cabin and not the "chrome" look. Also, the red of the ST logo isn't a perfect match. It was a good idea, just not executed as well as it could have been.
20140717_110347.jpg

I also picked up a roll of carbon fiber print from Amazon. I have to give my gf props for wrapping them, I just don't have the patience to do that kind of intricate work. I pulled the parts and she wrapped, teamwork! The center air vents and the shifter base were easy, but the outer air vents were a PITA. You have to break them down to 3 pieces to wrap them as shown, since I wanted to keep the silver ring around them. Also did the headlight switch trim.
20141009_164924.jpg 20141009_164815.jpg

Nothing much on the exterior, just a 5% sun strip tint, or unibrow, or whatever you want to call it. 8am + clear fall skies + eastward commute = horrific sun glare. It took awhile to get used to it, but now I hardly notice it's there, and it keeps the glare down very well.

UP NEXT
I'm waiting on 2 group buys to ship, the sharkfin antenna from FocusS.org and Boomba Racing short throw shifter and base bushings. After that I'll focus my time and money on getting my Cherokee back together and ready for, what I'm hoping, will be a very snowy winter.

Happy Halloween from Cody!
20141019_182101.jpg 20141019_182115.jpg

·
Premium Member
639 Posts
Discussion Starter #12 (Edited)
Trunk LEDs

While on vacation I popped in some LEDs in the cargo area and installed the Boomba short throw shifter and bushings.

Bulbs from VLEDs, courtesy of Muddy's lighting thread. These are the first of many to be swapped out.
5K WHITE 4 LED HIGH POWER FLANK BULBS 194 168 158 160LM | 1 PAIR

Left LED, right stock. The difference is much better in person.
20141105_183451.jpg

Bulb comparison. It's basically a 194 base LED with 4 diodes at a 90 deg angle from the base, so the light only shines down.
20141105_183629.jpg

And here we have both.
20141105_183718.jpg

·
Premium Member
639 Posts
Discussion Starter #13 (Edited)
Boomba Short Throw Shifter

I have the Cobb shifter bracket, but it didn't give me as much of a throw reduction as I wanted, so the STS was the next step. After reading tons of reviews and a few build threads I settled on Boomba's offering. I wasn't planning on getting one until after Christmas, but there was a group buy and I decided to jump in. I'm so glad I did! Not only are the throws even shorter and crisper, but the height has dropped a bit over an inch, and it puts the knob right where it ought to be.

Installation wasn't too bad. I've done 2 longitudinal trans shifters before (my 07 Mustang and my buddies 12 WRX) but this was my first trans-axle shifter. I actually think this one was easier, since I didn't have to crawl around on the ground during install.

There's a few install videos on YouTube if you have trouble putting it in, since the directions that come with are a little vague (but they have lots of colored pictures, which is nice). I followed along with

Good video with good tips, but I might add 2 things:

1. Removing the stock shifter mechanism from the plastic housing is indeed a PITA. As he says, the "****" on the stock ball is just too long and it takes some pressure to remove it. The Boomba instructions say to "file a chamfer on the side of the shifter lever to allow removal." It works, just work the piece to the point where it gets stuck. make note of the point of interference and file a bit off the while plastic. Then it will pop out. Obviously, the more you file the easier removal will be, but it's a pretty dense plastic, so it takes a bit of work to remove enough material.

2. He used crazy glue to hold the base bushings in place. They don't stay attached to the base like the stock bushings with rubber grommets do, but I didn't think gluing them was necessary. Just install the shifter mechanism back into the car, attach the 2 shifter cables, THEN slide the bottoms of the bushing into place, then the tops, then screw them down. Either way works, I just didn't want to glue them into place.

Anywho, here are some pics.

20141106_120831.jpg
20141106_121301.jpg

This is where you file the stock shifter piece down to make removal easier.
20141106_122823.jpg
20141106_130217.jpg 20141106_133436.jpg

I love it! Eventually I'll get a weighted knob and Boomba's shifter plate bushings to finish this off.

I'm still waiting on the sharkfin antenna from the FocusSTShop group buy. I'll post pics of that once I get it.

·
Premium Member
639 Posts
Discussion Starter #14 (Edited)
My dad got an ST too!

It was a pretty eventful weekend.

My dad has been having trouble with his Colorado, so he decided to trade it in for something smaller and more economical. He started looking at a Fiesta ST, but I was able to steer him towards a Focus ST. The Fiestas are just too small, and price wise it isn't that much more to step up to an ST1. I looked around at what limited 2014s were left on dealer lots and found him the below Race Red ST1 with moonroof and Rado wheels. He went to the local dealer, had it transferred from the dealership it was at, and picked it up on Saturday. It's going to be his DD, so I helped him pick out a winter tire and rim set and ordered some RockBlokz mud flaps. Hopefully those will be in before we get any snow.

20141122_125106.jpg

Some pics of our cars together. I know, Cody is quite dirty.

20141122_143852.jpg 20141122_143901.jpg 20141122_143924.jpg

·
Premium Member
639 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Sunday was quite warm, so Cody got a good wash, then installed the SharkFin antenna from the latest group buy. It's as bit bigger than I expected but way nicer than stock.

20141123_160139.jpg 20141123_160146.jpg 20141123_160158.jpg

And there's my girlfriend's grey Focus across the street.

·
Registered
1,042 Posts
Build looks good! That's cool your dad bought an ST also!

·
Premium Member
639 Posts
Discussion Starter #18 (Edited)
GarageLine APM & Boosted Designs Dead Pedal

I made a bit of an improvement in the ergonomics department lately. I saw the Boosted Designs black and red dead pedal group buy round 2 and had to jump in. Tie that in with GarageLine's 38mm APM and I'm a happy driver. The raised position of the accel pedal definitely took a bit of getting used to, but after a week of driving I was more comfortable with it. Now to learn how to rev match...

The APM was an easy install, and the dead pedal is held firmly in place by velcro.

20150225_101514.jpg

I also bought an AP3 with flash tune from Stratified. I couldn't be happier with the performance boost!! It's got me itching for a FMIC now, hopefully I'll be able to get one in the spring. I'll post pics of where I have it mounted once I get the vent clip in.

·
Premium Member
639 Posts
Discussion Starter #19 (Edited)
Cobb AP3 w/ Stratified Tuning Flash Tune

I was originally going to mount the AP3 on the left side with a vent clip, but once I tried to set it up I wasn't happy with the placement. I wanted it as high as possible, so I tried to use just one clip and attach it to the upper small defrost vent, but there wasn't enough stability to hold it firmly in place. Using 2 clips meant moving it down a few inches to the main vent, and I didn't like that either. So, I used the little sticky mount that came with the unit and put it where you see. It's a great placement, and barely blocks the "phone" quad on the screen, which I never need to look at anyway. If I'm still happy with this placement in a few weeks I'll run that ugly cable through the vent and out of sight.

Again, I couldn't be happier with the performance gain of Stratified's flash tune. I can't wait to get a full custom tune once I buy a FMIC.

20150225_214227.jpg
20150225_213749.jpg

·
Premium Member
639 Posts
Discussion Starter #20 (Edited)
Boomba Wing Risers

I've been following the wing riser thread since it began with ST34ME modding the Perrin kit, all the way through to Boomba taking over and making another great upgrade. I wanted to wait until I saw it in person before I bought them because from some angles in pics it looked great, and others, not so much. But when they ran it on their group buy, and it hit 20% discount, I had to jump on it. And I'm glad I did! Just a couple of pics for now, I'll take some full car shots soon.

Overall I think it looks great, but I'm a little unhappy with the unfinished back side of the spoiler and having the washer hose and CHMSL connector visible. I'll work out a solution at some point in the near future.

I got a red symposer delete to replace the plain Steeda one too.
20150311_180439.jpg

He's naked!
20150311_182902.jpg

Closeup pics from in the garage.
20150311_192253.jpg
20150311_192300.jpg
20150311_192308.jpg

Finished overall
20150313_100756.jpg 20150313_100829.jpg 20150313_100821.jpg

Not sure how, but I'm going to try to clean this bit up.

20150313_100839.jpg 20150313_100844.jpg

1 - 20 of 166 Posts