Ford Focus ST Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey all, Was chatting with a buddy today and he asked if I ever gapped my spark plugs. He recommended puling them and checking the gap as his were all over the place when he first got the car. He also recommended one step colder plugs (NGK) So heres what I've got. 2016 with 3.5k miles. Mods are roush intake, cobb rmm, stage 1 OTS tune, and stage 3 damond OCC. Are colder plugs only needed when going BT, or should I invest now. keep in mind, winters here are cold (10degrees in mornings normally) and I know the step colder plugs suck in colder weather on startup. Also is there a need to pull stock plugs and check the gaps from the factory after >5K miles if I do not need new plugs? Just wanted to get more thoughts on it. I'm planning on going stage 3 here in the next 6 months. Thanks!

·
Registered
4,368 Posts
The 1 step colder has NOTHING to do with the outside Temperatures... LMAO!!
If you are tuned, the car will run hotter, Normal plugs are made of copper, and by nature, they heat-up in order to work. A Tune creates even more heat(Heat=bad)
'Colder Plugs' are made of a material other than copper, and do not need to get as hot to operate, so they and run cooler, reducing the heat needed.

Get the plugs, and have fun!

·
Registered
371 Posts
I run Denso-22 (1 step colder), the reading I have done I found that a step colder is a good idea with basic mods like intake and exhaust. 2 steps colder is recommend once you are bigger turbo or full bolt on's for safety. I am going to switch to 2 steps colder once Auto X season begins.

Spark Plugs Fact and Fiction - Hot Rod Network Here is a good article to get further information about Spark plugs!

http://www.focusst.org/forum/focus-st-performance/13531-spark-plug-options.html and here is a thread about spark plugs that had good information

·
Registered
1,900 Posts
You should run the heat range of plugs (and the specific gap) which are recommended by your tuner.

Randy @ Mountune recommends the stock plugs.

Stratified and a number of other recommend 1-step colder, with a gap of 0.026" - 0.028".

The NGK 6510 1-step colder plugs come pregapped much larger, so be careful bending the ground strap to avoid weakening/breaking it. The NGK 6509 plugs (same heat range as stock) come pregapped to 0.028" -- as do the Denso ITV22 (one-step colder) plugs.

Stratified have moved away from recommending Denso due to issues experienced by their customers. I never had an issue but switched to NGK 6510 to follow Stratified's lead.

Hope that helps,
Mark

Reactions: Bradley

·
Registered
2016 Kona Blue ST3
526 Posts
The NGK 6510 1-step colder plugs come pregapped much larger, so be careful bending the ground strap to avoid weakening/breaking it. The NGK 6509 plugs (same heat range as stock) come pregapped to 0.028" -- as do the Denso ITV22 (one-step colder) plugs.
I would double check your gap before installing regardless of the plug. One of my ITV22's was at 0.032" out of the box, and none of them were at quite the same gap.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts