Ford Focus ST Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
576 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Last winter I started noticing an engine RPM dependent rattle when the temperatures got into the 30's (Fahrenheit). Seems to be air temperature related more than engine temperature related. Searched and read a few posts relating to engine temperature related rattles, but they don't seem to apply. Still rattles even when the engine is warmed up (per the temp gauge). Haven't taken it to the dealer yet because I doubt they'll be able to replicate it unless I can time it for a really cold day where it doesn't warm up once the sun comes out. This morning it was about 40 deg. and I heard it - probably the warmest temperature where I've experienced it. Seems to be coming from the driver's side of the engine. I need to re-verify this, but it seems to be load dependent as I don't think it will do it when revving the car stationary. I thought it might be related to the sound symposer, but I took that out this past fall and still noticed the rattle when it got cold (for SC).

Car is essentially stock - only an intercooler and Mountune upper intake pipe on the engine, stock tune. Heard the rattle before installing the Mountune pipe, so I don't think that's related. In the past, I've found the battery box cover loose, etc. and fixed that, but still heard the rattle.

Anyone experienced anything similar and have any ideas?

·
Registered
45 Posts
I haven't experienced this specifically but there is a clicking/rattle that i hear on mine in hot weather 85+ degrees when car is warmed up. I traced it down to the high pressure fuel pump being noisy with a chassis ear (stethoscope.) that is on the driver side of the engine on the back right corner if you are looking at it from the front of the car. it would be covered in insulation. check that out maybe?

·
Registered
355 Posts
I'd recommend looking around underneath the car and see if some foreign object is lodged under there that may be touching the exhaust system. Also, heat shielding can come loose and cause noises.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts