Ford Focus ST Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok, I am kinda confused on this one, so i figured i would ask. Now i currently have full bolt ons and have 93 tune and e30 tune threw torrie. Now when i put my 93 tune or even stock tune, on every cold start, it will rev up to 1500-2000 then drop down to almost below 500 and almost stall before it levels out. Then occasionally if i rev it up in neutral, once it goes down it will go down to close to 500 again and almost stall before it goes back up. What is weird is when i put my E30 tune on, none of this happens. It starts perfect and idles perfect no issues at all. Now i have had the splice done, so don't think it is that, I told torrie about it and doesn't think its tune related since it also happens when on stock. This first started after i got my E30 tune, the first time i switched back to 93 it started it and hasnt gone away.

Anyone have any ideas at all?

·
Premium Member
3,724 Posts
Have you had the harness TSB done?

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Had the Harness done before i bought it, and yes i tried a KAM reset, Torrie thought it might take care of it, but it did not. No not trying any other tunes with the E30 in the tank.

·
Registered
917 Posts
Plus i feel like if it was the Harness that was the issue, it would be be doing it on the E30 tune as well. right?
Sounds more like it could be a fuel system issue. How often are you switching between 93 and E30? Every other fill-up? Or have you been running nothing but E30 for a long period of time and recently went to a tank of 93?

Reactions: SIstomper

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Sounds more like it could be a fuel system issue. How often are you switching between 93 and E30? Every other fill-up? Or have you been running nothing but E30 for a long period of time and recently went to a tank of 93?
Usually run 2 or 3 tanks of E30 before running it all the way down to fill up 93. Usually will run 1 tank of 93 before i go back to E30, just so i have a good idea how much is in the tank. I haven E gauge, but it currently down, as i popped a hole in one of the rubber hoses that came with it and looking for something better to replace it. I sent Elogs to torrie running on 93 and he says everything looks good, and after the car has warmed up and i turn it off for a short time and then turn it back on, it doesn't do it either.

·
Registered
917 Posts
Usually run 2 or 3 tanks of E30 before running it all the way down to fill up 93. Usually will run 1 tank of 93 before i go back to E30, just so i have a good idea how much is in the tank. I haven E gauge, but it currently down, as i popped a hole in one of the rubber hoses that came with it and looking for something better to replace it. I sent Elogs to torrie running on 93 and he says everything looks good, and after the car has warmed up and i turn it off for a short time and then turn it back on, it doesn't do it either.
Could just be a ghost in the machine that would not be worth the time and money to track down since it only happens under the described conditions. My '13 still has weird idle quirks that I've learned to live with. For instance, this morning, cold start reversing out of my garage the idle dropped to stalling level, caught itself, then shot up to 1500ish before trying to stall out again. But as soon as I got to the first stop sign in my neighborhood idle was rock steady. Every so often when I am coming to stoplight and depress the clutch the rpm's will do the same thing. I did the wiring harness splices and the grounds myself, but my car has never been 100% right.

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Could just be a ghost in the machine that would not be worth the time and money to track down since it only happens under the described conditions. My '13 still has weird idle quirks that I've learned to live with. For instance, this morning, cold start reversing out of my garage the idle dropped to stalling level, caught itself, then shot up to 1500ish before trying to stall out again. But as soon as I got to the first stop sign in my neighborhood idle was rock steady. Every so often when I am coming to stoplight and depress the clutch the rpm's will do the same thing. I did the wiring harness splices and the grounds myself, but my car has never been 100% right.
That pretty much sounds like exactly what mine is doing on the 93. Just thought it was really weird that I couldn't get it to happen on the E30. Not really an issue (at least not right now *knock on wood*)just thought it was weird, plus im getting ready to put on a WMI and just wanted to see if anyone else has had a similar issue.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts