Ford Focus ST Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I own a 2016 Focus St3, and I'm currently looking into getting an intake system. I already have a custom cutback, tune, and RMM, but i think CAI is the next logical step.

Here are the ones I am considering:

1) Cobb intake tube, with focus RS airbox, green filter & velossa big mouth.

2) Injen green filter intake with velossa big mouth.

3) CP-E intake with velossa big mouth

Im mainly looking for details on the pros and cons of each, if anyone can help. Mostly I'm curious as to what the airbox vs. non-airbox comparison is, as well ass what filter to use, although I've heard the green filter is the best for my application.

Also i should mention, while I am running a stock turbo, i eventually want to go BT, so I'm trying to do things right now, so that when i get to the point of BT, i don't have to re-upgrade.

·
Registered
76 Posts
I would honestly upgrade your intercooler before you do the intake. That seems to be the most important part any stage build. And especially if you go big turbskie. Look into a Depo racing 3.5. Good for 500 freaking HP which you won?t come close to being full stage 3 and BT. The BT guys with 28xx series ones seem to end up around 330-350. But, if you?re dead set on an intake system, I got the Cobb one. No complaints. As for it?s level of performance, I?m not sure yet. As you can?t really tune for inbetween stages. I?m working on getting my Depo 3.5 in soon, that?ll put me at a true stage 2. Then I?ll see if I notice the gains.

·
Registered
198 Posts
I'd recommend checking into the JBR 3" intake. It's similar to Cobb in design and quality but about $50-60 less. I also think the RS air box is a cheap alternative to most aftermarket cold air setups. I've got these and have been happy. I found the RS air box online for $48. Can't provide any input on the snorkel.

·
Registered
216 Posts
Likes others have said. Skip the "CAI" intake for now and get a intercooler. Toss in the extra $100 or so and pick up the depo 3.5" intercooler. You'll be way happier with that money spent for the return. You'll have way more consistent power when squeezing the skinny peddle back to back to back to...you get the idea. Then I'd pick up a the big mouth and a filter. Maybe change that Ole accordion tube between the air box and intake tube. I picked up a 45 hose and T-Clamps and cut it to size for about $27. Just my .02.

·
Registered
109 Posts
I just put the cpe cold air in and I can notice a better response out of it. Also seems to have a smoother throttle curve.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

·
Premium Member
1,211 Posts
I've had the Cobb intake for 3-1/2 years; it looks good underhood, but it probably does not add much, power-wise. RS airbox lid with VT Big Mouth pretty much negates any benefits of the Big Mouth. As others have said, go with a better intercooler first, especially since you already have a tune.

·
Registered
226 Posts
If you have a over-efficient intercooler it doesn't matter if the intake temps are slightly higher, its all going to be cooled.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts