Ford Focus ST Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
At the risk of sounding like a total noob I have a pretty simple question about intakes in general on this platform. I find the stock ST to be too quiet and I don't like the sounds symposer very much. I'd prefer to just delete the sound symposer and get some natural intake noise audible from the cabin. What I'd like to know is how much of the noise from a CAI is attributable to the filter vs. how much is a result of the tube? I'm trying to figure out if I should just start with a filter like the Green filter with an open end, or whether I should just go ahead with the full intake since they include the filter anyway.

To be clear, I'm not looking for or expecting any performance gains from whatever intake system I go with. Also if it is relevant, I'd prefer an intake that maintains the stock airbox that the filter sits in, and I would prefer to keep the top on, so I'm not really considering any of the completely open filter setups. I'd most likely go for something like the Cobb design with a simple tube that routes to the stock filter location.

·
Premium Member
3,725 Posts
At the risk of sounding like a total noob I have a pretty simple question about intakes in general on this platform. I find the stock ST to be too quiet and I don't like the sounds symposer very much. I'd prefer to just delete the sound symposer and get some natural intake noise audible from the cabin. What I'd like to know is how much of the noise from a CAI is attributable to the filter vs. how much is a result of the tube? I'm trying to figure out if I should just start with a filter like the Green filter with an open end, or whether I should just go ahead with the full intake since they include the filter anyway.

To be clear, I'm not looking for or expecting any performance gains from whatever intake system I go with. Also if it is relevant, I'd prefer an intake that maintains the stock airbox that the filter sits in, and I would prefer to keep the top on, so I'm not really considering any of the completely open filter setups. I'd most likely go for something like the Cobb design with a simple tube that routes to the stock filter location.
You will gain a little noise from the BPV with the green filter, but you probably won't be able to notice with the windows up (I have a green filter). From what I have heard and understand, the tube will give you a bit more noise but marginal at best.

·
Registered
86 Posts
your best bet with out breaking the bank would be, to replace the stock "accordion" piece with a Ebay 90 degree elbow (like 5 dollars), a green filter with an open air box.

That's what I run and I hear the turbo with both windows up and down. I also removed the lower cowl for the tb performance strut bar and I can now really hear the turbo.

·
Registered
613 Posts
I'm sure having a full metal intake amplifies the sound quite a bit too. I'm still on stock intake w/ AEM filter so I can't really say myself, but I'm curious to hear if anyone has a direct comparison as well. Problem is most guys probably go from 100 percent stock to full intake

·
Registered
357 Posts
With the RS airbox and k&n filter I get some good noise with the windows down, windows up all I hear is my exhaust and bov.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Reactions: JedzST2

·
Registered
183 Posts
I have the CP-E Cold Air Intake. Windows up I hear the suction when accelerating and a little blow off (Running stock BOV). Windows down I can hear it all. I'm still running stock exhaust, so I don't have that to drown anything out.

·
Registered
219 Posts
Running the Injen intake, windows down you hear a lot of sound. Almost a constant suction sound and the BPV is very loud. Windows up you barely hear anything.

I also deleted the sound symposer.

·
Super Moderator
2017 Ford Fusion Sport
8,194 Posts
Cobb intake with the stock intake box and high flow air filter for me. Even with my full catless turboback MBRP exhaust and Boomba BOV I can definitely hear my intake suction. I do NOT have the top taken off my box. I just noticed it this morning and thought about how cool it is that I can hear it so well with my exhaust.

·
Premium Member
223 Posts
best bang for the buck... green filter and RS intake cover.

·
Registered
979 Posts
Roush intake, can hear the flutter and turbo spool with windows up. Since I loaded Stratified's new update the flutter (Boo Boo Boo) is even louder, assuming their turbo efficiency changes are to blame, sounds killer.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Thanks for all the responses guys, I appreciate the input. If you guys could clarify whether you have the sound symposer installed or not that would be very helpful since my goal is to ultimately delete it in favor of some more natural noise.

·
Registered
183 Posts
My symposer is still hooked up. I might unplug it to check out the sound before I go full delete. But then again I usually have my music too loud to hear the symposer anyway lol.

·
Registered
357 Posts
Thanks for all the responses guys, I appreciate the input. If you guys could clarify whether you have the sound symposer installed or not that would be very helpful since my goal is to ultimately delete it in favor of some more natural noise.
I still have the symposer installed but it's unplugged and disabled in my tune(I've had the delete sitting around just never feel like installing it lol.)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
10 Posts
I have the Cobb CAI with the top still on the intake box. Sound symposer is deleted. I can hear the turbo and BOV with the window down really easily but I sometimes have trouble hearing it when the windows are up. Especially if I have the AC on. No exhaust modifications.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts