Ford Focus ST Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I use this forum all the time but I just registered and I am very new to posting, so sorry if I am doing this wrong.

I am having an issue with my car (2014 focus st) and was hoping to get any kind of advice that will be beneficial.

I recently installed a steeda CAI w/ the performance tube that connects to the turbo. Very soon after, the car starts spitting up oil from the somewhere in the engine bay, they oil was mainly on the passenger side of the engine bay and was getting all over the bottom of the intake tube.

My car has 34,xxx miles so still under warranty, so I brought it in and they replaced the valve gaskets and the leak stopped. They claimed it was coming out of one of the holes from the stock bolts I removed from the stock intake tube. (See image below) Capture 1.PNG

Any how the oil stopped leaking but now my car is making a very annoying sound once warmed up and upon shut off. Once the car is turned on the sounds resembles a bad belt almost but not as severe. Sounds goes away once I pick up on the RPMs. I do not believe it is a belt because once I turn the car off after about 2 seconds I hear a noise that sounds like air being released from a balloon.

My concern is that I brought the car back into the dealer and they said they had to put the stock CAI back on to fully diagnose. They now have put the stock CAI back on and claim the noise is gone. I know they removed the performance tube when replacing the gasketing, is there a chance they didn't put everything back securely? This noise was not happening before I brought it in, and I had the intake on for about 2 weeks

Just wondering if anyone else has had any issues and/or if you have any advice.

Thanks

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Update: sound is gone from putting stock CAI back on. So my suspicions are they did not probably reinstall it the first time. The bad news is they completely ruined my intake tube ... :mad::mad:this is not okay and I have been in communications with their manager 1.jpg 2.jpg 3.jpg

Reactions: elyk864

·
Registered
651 Posts
That looks rough man.. As far as the sound goes, is that intake punctured anywhere from the dealer pulling it out of the car and throwing it on the ground? If so that's where your sound is coming from.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I looked at the tube and I couldn't find a puncher. The noise sounded like it was coming from closer to the turbo area, around the reducer. I am going to check the rubber reducer for damage. I feel as if they did not securely put the reducer on with the clamps or did not fully put it on correctly.

But I going to push them to replace the tube and I will reinstall it in about 1500 miles when the warranty is up, this was I can be sure there is no small unseen puncture.

·
Registered
651 Posts
You can check, but didn't you say the sound went away with the stock CAI? If that's the case i'd still be pointing fingers at an issue with the aftermarket CAI, whether it's a tin hole, slightly bent, etc.

·
Premium Member
392 Posts
I work at dealer. Typically if we have to put an oem part back in to diagnose we need to get authorization from the customer. Even if they decided to go ahead and test your car with an oem intake, that is unacceptable to damage the customers vehicle/parts. I hope they do the right thing and rereplace whatever they damaged. These type of stories hit a nerve with me cause it makes us all look bad when not all of us are like that. You unfortunately had some grease monkey lube tech working on your car.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thank you for your concern. It makes me feel a lot better knowing there are actual dealer mechanics that care about doing a great job and are passionate about their work. The manager of the service department was very considerate and wanted to make sure I was taken care of. Once he saw the intake tube he immediately asked me "can you buy this part by itself and how much?" I sent him the link to where I purchased the tube and he will be sending me a check shortly. I am overall very pleased the way the management team addressed this issue and it gives me some very needed confidence that they have the customers best interest.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts