Ford Focus ST Forum banner
1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just put a CAI on my new ST Doesn't seem to do much even sound wise. Feels like I lost some low end torque to gain a few hp when I'm doing 70. You guys like your CAIs? Seems like it made MY engine run hotter too.

·
Super Moderator
2017 Ford Fusion Sport
8,200 Posts
I just put a CAI on my new ST Doesn't seem to do much even sound wise. Feels like I lost some low end torque to gain a few hp when I'm doing 70. You guys like your CAIs? Seems like it made MY engine run hotter too.
Did it come with a high flow filter? Or is it just the pipe? If you replace the stock filter with a high flow filter it'll make the most sound difference. My Cobb intake with my high flow filter is so loud "sucking air" that I hear it over my rather loud exhaust.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Yes it came with the high flow filter. Did you notice any improvement from the engine with yours? On my SHO it would make a loss of low end torque and only a few hp when in high rev.

·
Super Moderator
2017 Ford Fusion Sport
8,200 Posts
Yes it came with the high flow filter. Did you notice any improvement from the engine with yours? On my SHO it would make a loss of low end torque and only a few hp when in high rev.
I can't comment on that one, sorry my man. I bought the car and it already had the intake installed.

·
Registered
183 Posts
I run the CP-E Cold Air Intake and I have no regrets at all. I wasn't looking for a performance gain, just look and sound factor. Gain is what my tune was for. I couldn't be happier with the look and the sound is awesome, the suction and wooosshh release is great. As far as running hot, don't think so. My coolant hovers between 200 and 202, which is normal, it was there before the CAI too.

Land vehicle Vehicle Car Hood Bumper

·
Registered
16 Posts
Just put an Injen intake on my car this afternoon. It's a hoot! I know it's not really doing anything performance wise, but the sound is just too fun. Most of my driving is under 25 mph since I live on a military base, so I just enjoy giving it a bit of throttle and getting that woooosh and letting off. +10 to daily drive, would recommend.

·
Registered
344 Posts
Firstly what CAI is it? there are heaps of different one, all of which are - you guessed it different. Some louder/better(goal orientated) than others. I had a process west on my stock turbo and it was amazingly loud, I first did filter and airbox off and the process west was way louder than that. Now on the big turbo the process west is modified and 3 inch all the way to intake of turbo and the sound is not quite as loud because the bypass valve isn't open during low boost like the stock turbo one was.

The moral of the story is if it flows more than stock you shouldn't loose any power anywhere as your turbo will have a reduced inlet pressure and will be more efficient. Regarding sound I don't know what you are running with so can't help you there.

·
Vendor
1,496 Posts
Just put an Injen intake on my car this afternoon. It's a hoot! I know it's not really doing anything performance wise, but the sound is just too fun. Most of my driving is under 25 mph since I live on a military base, so I just enjoy giving it a bit of throttle and getting that woooosh and letting off. +10 to daily drive, would recommend.
Injen is very nice, we sell a ton of them. They state around 10 HP, but the sound is also great.

·
Super Moderator
2017 Ford Fusion Sport
8,200 Posts
Firstly what CAI is it? there are heaps of different one, all of which are - you guessed it different. Some louder/better(goal orientated) than others. I had a process west on my stock turbo and it was amazingly loud, I first did filter and airbox off and the process west was way louder than that. Now on the big turbo the process west is modified and 3 inch all the way to intake of turbo and the sound is not quite as loud because the bypass valve isn't open during low boost like the stock turbo one was.

The moral of the story is if it flows more than stock you shouldn't loose any power anywhere as your turbo will have a reduced inlet pressure and will be more efficient. Regarding sound I don't know what you are running with so can't help you there.
He has the Livernois or however it is spelled Windstorm "intake" which is LITERALLY just a high flow filter attached to a bracket. WITHOUT A BOX. Terrible design and not worth $160 AT ALL. It's a $50 filter attached to a $5 bracket.
https://www.livernoismotorsports.com/product/LPP402181
They shouldn't even be allowed to sell this at this price lol

·
Registered
344 Posts
He has the Livernois or however it is spelled Windstorm "intake" which is LITERALLY just a high flow filter attached to a bracket. WITHOUT A BOX. Terrible design and not worth $160 AT ALL. It's a $50 filter attached to a $5 bracket.
https://www.livernoismotorsports.com/product/LPP402181
They shouldn't even be allowed to sell this at this price lol
Lol that is criminal, $169 for that crap, a green filter will net the exact same results. Oh well nothing agains OP but I call that idiot tax.

·
Registered
55 Posts
Intake should make a negligible difference on operating temp considering whatever air enters gets baked by the turbo and then cooled by the intercooler...

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G930A using Tapatalk

·
Premium Member
392 Posts
Lol that is criminal, $169 for that crap, a green filter will net the exact same results. Oh well nothing agains OP but I call that idiot tax.
You think thats bad, check out RENNTECHS website for AMG engines. Last I went on there it was like $4500 for a throttle body upgrade, which is just a bored out oem unit, iirc, and advertised to gain 10-14 hp.lol

·
Registered
393 Posts
I really hate injens heat shield though. I put my stock box back on and cut it to fit with the cone filter and tube. So it now at least gets the air from the grill again vs injen blocking it off.

Attachments

·
Registered
5 Posts
I put a roush intake on mine. Not doing anything with the exhaust or computer, but getting more air through the intake was a no brained. Great sound, most noticeable difference is taking off, I'm a good driver but I did stall it a time or two taking off, it's almost impossible to do that now with the new intake. Cheap and an easy install.

·
Registered
482 Posts
Intake should make a negligible difference on operating temp considering whatever air enters gets baked by the turbo and then cooled by the intercooler...

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G930A using Tapatalk
I agree. I'd go more efficient intercooler over intake all day.

Sent from my SM-G360T using Tapatalk

·
Registered
15 Posts
My friend swears that a CAI will make my car run lean and hurt the computer. I was thinking about getting a roosh CAI on my new 2017 but now he's got me stranded about it. Any info on this?

·
Super Moderator
2017 Ford Fusion Sport
8,200 Posts
My friend swears that a CAI will make my car run lean and hurt the computer. I was thinking about getting a roosh CAI on my new 2017 but now he's got me stranded about it. Any info on this?
It won't. There are plenty of examples of proof on this forum that will show you a CAI does basically nothing except make nice noises. Your computer will make the difference negligible anyway. No different in Air to Fuel ratio at all. Get a $50 High flow filter like the green filter. That's all you need.

·
Super Moderator
2017 Ford Fusion Sport
8,200 Posts
I put a roush intake on mine. Not doing anything with the exhaust or computer, but getting more air through the intake was a no brained. Great sound, most noticeable difference is taking off, I'm a good driver but I did stall it a time or two taking off, it's almost impossible to do that now with the new intake. Cheap and an easy install.
I'm 100% positive that was a placebo effect there buddy, the intake didn't do anything except sound better lol.

@VenomousSVT

·
Registered
244 Posts
Save your money on the intake. Upgrade the filter to a high flow filter, open filters make cool noises but suck in more hot air, closed filter make no noise is the only difference. Heat wrap the OEM air box with DEI gold or silver, do a spectre air mod or intake snorkel, and a DIY silicone hose. All in all if you upgrade to an AEM Dry Filter ($40), DIY Silicone Hose ($11) and some DEI tape ($30) it would be money well spent compared to these companies wanting $200 for an intake. If you want to add an air box mod or snorkel you can but its not 100% needed. Spend the extra money on a tune and intercooler.

1 - 20 of 31 Posts