Ford Focus ST Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys, I’m looking into buying a set of fortune auto 500 coils for my ST. What I want to achieve is eliminating the wheel gap without sacrificing ride quality or even improving it. I’m planing on moving to the northern VA area this year and I know the roads can be harsh up there. What spring rate would you guys recommend?

·
Registered
2,623 Posts
The ones that come on with them default are 7/5k f/r and I have no complaints. Are you tracking the car or some specific driving? Autocross guys tend to go stiffer in the rear than front and higher than 7k.

Higher rates you go, less low you will get (springs compress less, assuming spring length stay the same.)

·
Registered
2015 Ford Focus ST, big turbo, built motor and trans, 4 port aux fuel.
29 Posts
I went with the stock spring rates on my Fortune Auto 500s, I did however get the radial bearing upgrade. With the dampening adjustment you can make it really soft for daily driving on rough roads and then tighten it up for autocrossing or tracking.

·
Registered
48 Posts
If you are not tracking or doing Autocross go with softer in the front and stiffer in the rear. The stock suspension comes like that. YCW coilovers come like that (softer fronts, stiffer rears) and a lot of people rave about them. I personally ordered Fortune Auto 500's and got 6k fronts and 8k rears. I have not installed them yet but, based on all the research I've done on different coils and spring rates this it seemed the best for my situation of just daily driving. With that being said, a lot of people seem to like the stiffer fronts. So definitely do some looking around and make your own conclusion. There is a MASSIVE thread on the Fortune Auto 500's that is some 70 or 80 pages long. I can link it if you'd like or, just search for, "The Official Fortune Auto 500 series Coilover Thread". It might not be right at the top of searches but, it shouldn't be hard to find!

·
Registered
671 Posts
I also went with 7k front/ 5k rear (with a different company inverted coilover). It's compliant at 20 clicks front/ 15 clicks rear (out of 33 total, so 60% front dampening/rebound & 45% rear). That gets me smoother over highway bumps and whatnot close to stock. That also leaves a decent amount of stiffening to be had.

The problem I have with most coilover setups like this is the lack of travel you get from the dampener/strut... It's all valved for tarmac and sucks at 'sucking up the bumps'. Tomatoe for me tomato for you. Whatever 🤷‍♂️

Either way, it depends if you want to lower with some additional stiffness and bump your head on the roof when you hit a bridge that has crappy gaps, or if you want a more compliant ride, but will dip to a side during hard cornering (which will effect rotation, if you know what I'm talkin' about).

Personally, any softer spring rates at the stock height or lower and I'd literally go back to stock suspension.... There are times when I wish it was a push of a button to get what everyone else not in North America can get for their Focus...

·
Registered
2018 ST1 Magnetic Gray
202 Posts
I also went with 7k front/ 5k rear (with a different company inverted coilover). It's compliant at 20 clicks front/ 15 clicks rear (out of 33 total, so 60% front dampening/rebound & 45% rear). That gets me smoother over highway bumps and whatnot close to stock. That also leaves a decent amount of stiffening to be had.

The problem I have with most coilover setups like this is the lack of travel you get from the dampener/strut... It's all valved for tarmac and sucks at 'sucking up the bumps'. Tomatoe for me tomato for you. Whatever 🤷‍♂️

Either way, it depends if you want to lower with some additional stiffness and bump your head on the roof when you hit a bridge that has crappy gaps, or if you want a more compliant ride, but will dip to a side during hard cornering (which will effect rotation, if you know what I'm talkin' about).

Personally, any softer spring rates at the stock height or lower and I'd literally go back to stock suspension.... There are times when I wish it was a push of a button to get what everyone else not in North America can get for their Focus...
I think inverted coilovers is the way to go. It’s imposible to adjust the front ones with the front brace in place. It holds the wipers mechanism so you cannot get rid of it. Drilling a hole on top to have access will weaken the already fragile brace.

·
Registered
2,514 Posts
You want Little stiffer in the rear to maintain the stock biased. From the factory the rear springs are already stiffer. Most manufacturers don't account for the spring being mounted inboard on the rear. Therefore the spring rates are too soft in the rear. I probably get more like a 6K front 8K rear.

·
Registered
2,514 Posts
I think inverted coilovers is the way to go. It’s imposible to adjust the front ones with the front brace in place. It holds the wipers mechanism so you cannot get rid of it. Drilling a hole on top to have access will weaken the already fragile brace.
Install a front strut Tower brace and that whole front brace is gone and you're left with a big hole on the top of the tower. Then you just have to trim some of the sheet metal underneath.

·
Registered
2018 ST1 Magnetic Gray
202 Posts
If you remove the Tower brace, needs to do a bracket for the wipers. I already ordered a tower and rear brace. I have to figure out the wipers when it get here. I have 400lbs-inch on the front and 275 lbs-inch on the back. It works pretty good at the track. I'm still tuning the suspension, that may not be final settings.

·
Registered
2,514 Posts
If you remove the Tower brace, needs to do a bracket for the wipers. I already ordered a tower and rear brace. I have to figure out the wipers when it get here. I have 400lbs-inch on the front and 275 lbs-inch on the back. It works pretty good at the track. I'm still tuning the suspension, that may not be final settings.
My TB performance strut Tower brace has tabs built right into it for the wipers there's nothing to figure out. I bought mine used off a member that was local. It was actually for an RS but they're the same.

·
Registered
2018 ST1 Magnetic Gray
202 Posts
My TB performance strut Tower brace has tabs built right into it for the wipers there's nothing to figure out. I bought mine used off a member that was local. It was actually for an RS but they're the same.
Great! I didn't ordered TB. There are TTCRII I'll find out when it get here. I didn't know that little detail when I ordered. I would had buy the TB.

·
Registered
2,514 Posts
Great! I didn't ordered TB. There are TTCRII I'll find out when it get here. I didn't know that little detail when I ordered. I would had buy the TB.
It's just a little tab with a hole in it welded right to the mounting plate. Mounting plate should also have a big hole I'd say around 2 and 1/4 or so in it so you can access camber adjustments. But you'll have to cut the actual strut Tower itself to match the hole in the braces plate.

·
Premium Member
375 Posts
3 1/4" hole for reference

·
Registered
2018 ST1 Magnetic Gray
202 Posts

I don't know if it's going to work. Now, I think it is an addition to the stock one. I'll know when It arrive.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts