Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Other

Votes: 2 33.3%
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Premium Member
13,886 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I'm planning on making some suspension setup changes for this next auto x season. Currently running Fortune Auto 500 series coilovers with 8K springs in front and 5.3K in the rear. I will be picking up a Strano rear sway bar and some RE71R tires in 245/40/18 for the next season. I keep seeing a few people here stating a higher spring rate for the rear is better for this car. So if that is true what coilovers would do the job better than my current ones?

·
Registered
50 Posts
XRjoe posted this back in 2015. I found it recently during my search of knowledge for coilovers on the ST. You might find it interesting that your current setup completely changes the way that Ford balanced the car. Stock is stiffer in the front then the rear. It would be interesting to jump in your car after driving a stock car on a autocross course

http://www.focusst.org/forum/focus-st-suspension/35136-spring-rates.html

·
Registered
524 Posts
I like the rss. It's my second set of coil overs, first being the bilstein b14's. When I was in the market, I called H&R and found that the working rate is 500 lb/in at all four corners. This was a major selling point for me.

·
Registered
160 Posts
Rates on Bilstein B14 are 342lb/in FRONT : 371lb/in REAR (~6k front : ~6.6k rear). This is very close to the OEM front:rear spring rate ratio (171 : 183)

Personally I believe the Ground Control kit with Konis is the best 'off-the-shelf' coilover kit for high performance driving applications. Its the only kit that I know of that comes with standard 2.5" ID springs for the front and rear (most other kits come with a cone shaped spring for the rear). Using a standard 2.5" springs makes it easier to swap out springs to try out different spring rates. Not saying this cant be done with other kits; you'll just have to add parts to adapted a standard spring to those systems.

·
Registered
1,278 Posts
Reactions: deesiel678

·
Registered
696 Posts

·
Registered
809 Posts
In for knowledge.

·
Registered
696 Posts
Reactions: UnfocusedST

·
Registered
1,278 Posts
Those just might be the ticket for the OP.

·
Registered
696 Posts

·
Registered
50 Posts
Why would you change the dampeners? The dampeners should be matched to your spring rate choice, (like in any coilover setup) and you can purchase adjustable koni's to fine tune

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Premium Member
13,886 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Why would you change the dampeners? The dampeners should be matched to your spring rate choice, (like in any coilover setup) and you can purchase adjustable koni's to fine tune

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Because they wear out. Most coilovers kits the dampener are rebuildable. The ground control are not since they use off the shelf dampers and modify them to work.

Sent from another garage.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts