Ford Focus ST Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey everyone! I'm new here!

Looking for any and all recommendations for coilovers. There seem to be a ton of options out there, but looking to see if there is a general consensus on what's "best" or the most ideal for a daily setup. I dont necessarily plan on tracking the car at this point in time.

Thanks for the help in advance, Merry Christmas!

·
Registered
2018 ST1 Magnetic Gray
829 Posts
If you are not looking to track the car or mess too much with stance. A set of aftermarket springs will do it and save you some $$. Some coilovers, the majority actually, will give you less suspension travel. When I lift one corner of the car, both wheels of that side comes up right away.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
If you are not looking to track the car or mess too much with stance. A set of aftermarket springs will do it and save you some $$. Some coilovers, the majority actually, will give you less suspension travel. When I lift one corner of the car, both wheels of that side comes up right away.
My factory struts have about 80k on them. Wouldn't lower springs just accelerate my stock strutsgoing kaput?

·
Premium Member
2,054 Posts
My factory struts have about 80k on them. Wouldn't lower springs just accelerate my stock strutsgoing kaput?
Yes, if they're not kaput already.

·
Registered
2018 ST1 Magnetic Gray
829 Posts
If you are already there, dropping a new set of shock is a good strategy. Bilstein is a good choice.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 · (Edited)
Well, the price is more or less the same for a full coilover setup vs lowering springs and eventually having to replace the struts anyway. I found this Koni Strut and lower springs kit for $1,140 before shipping and this ST suspensions coilover setup for $1,000 before shipping. Just not sure if I want to just ride out my stock struts until they die and just replace them or just go with coilovers and get it out of the way altogether.

I appreciate everyones input thus far!

·
Registered
1,793 Posts
Well, the price is more or less the same for a full coilover setup vs lowering springs and eventually having to replace the struts anyway. I found this Koni Strut and lower springs kit for $1,140 before shipping and this ST suspensions coilover setup for $1,000 before shipping. Just not sure if I want to just ride out my stock struts until they die and just replace them or just go with coilovers and get it out of the way altogether.

You have to try to not compare the two. They are not apples to apples at all if your saying that price alone is the deciding factor.

a lowering spring is stiffer than stock. Too stiff for factory struts. A proper performance strut will control the spring properly and the bilstien b8 is perfect and the koni yellow as well with a rebound adjustment.

A coilover, the cheap stuff has too little travel and often valved wrong. They’ll corrode and have the collars seize after one or two winters.

The good stuff, have better metallurgy, better coatings, proper valving and balance built in, on ideal spring rates. Ideal in a subjective manufacture led design… Not to mention solid warranties. 1,3,5, lifetime….

Ill take a koni/bilstien setup over any coilover under $1200.

·
Registered
2016 ST2
170 Posts
I’m not ready yet (waiting for stock suspension to fail) but from what I have seen there is good feedback on the Mountune club sport suspension. It is the aforementioned Bilstein B8s with a Mountune lowering spring. Seems like a great option for a cruiser.

·
Registered
2017 ST cp-e fmic ,invidia hi-flow downpipe, awe track exhaust , steeda Cai. Monster adapt x tune
158 Posts
I love my bc br coils, the ride is great, and comfortable. honestly they are the best at the 1k price range, if I had to do it again I would have spent the extra few hundred bucks and gone with fortunes tbh

·
Registered
2 Posts

Following! 2016 FoST DD w/76k miles

1 - 14 of 14 Posts