Ford Focus ST Forum banner

1 - 20 of 49 Posts

·
Registered
440 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm looking for a good coilover set for my '16, and wanted to get some opinions about what you are using and why.

I've been looking at the usual suspects (Bilstein, H&R, ST...), but have also been looking at some of the other "off" brands like Megan Racing, and Godspeed Performance.

If anyone has/had experience with any of the brands listed, please chime in with your opinion.

This car is my daily driver, but I also plan on doing some autocross, and time attack so would like to find a set that offers a balance, but won't break the bank either.

Thanks for the input.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G891A using Tapatalk

·
Registered
440 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
YCW Reference coilovers are going to give you the most options for the money. They maintain the factory front/rear balance. I've been enjoying mine.

Sent from another galaxy.
Aren't they around $1600 for the set?

I'm on the research part of this upgrade that will happen later this year, so not in a position to take advantage of the group buy.

·
Registered
311 Posts
The YCW Reference should DEFINITELY be on your list if you plan to do AutoX or Time Attack! They are phenomenal even for $1,600. They are listed on their site for $1,104 right now.

They won't go as low as some of the others, but they offer performance that those others don't offer.

·
Registered
530 Posts
Aren't they around $1600 for the set?

I'm on the research part of this upgrade that will happen later this year, so not in a position to take advantage of the group buy.

Sent from my SAMSUNG
Everybody has been raving about the YCW's. I'm new still and haven't seen reviews of other brands, but the YCW seems to be the best bang for the buck. Not sure of the non group buy price, but the group buy was around $1200 I think. If I could swing it, I'd get them now, but I'm a couple years from coils because of student loan debt. If this upgrade is happening later this year because you don't have the money right now, then fine, but if you're waiting because you want to be informed and make the 110% right decision, also fine, but from what I've read, you're probably going to want the YCW in the end and you might as well take advantage of the discount now.

Regardless of what you do, if the coils cost less than $900, they are almost definitely not worth your time and money.

·
Registered
440 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
The YCW Reference should DEFINITELY be on your list if you plan to do AutoX or Time Attack! They are phenomenal even for $1,600. They are listed on their site for $1,104 right now.

They won't go as low as some of the others, but they offer performance that those others don't offer.
They are on the list, but I'm not ready to land this bird on the YCW's without a bit more research and feedback from the forum members.

·
Registered
440 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Everybody has been raving about the YCW's. I'm new still and haven't seen reviews of other brands, but the YCW seems to be the best bang for the buck. Not sure of the non group buy price, but the group buy was around $1200 I think. If I could swing it, I'd get them now, but I'm a couple years from coils because of student loan debt. If this upgrade is happening later this year because you don't have the money right now, then fine, but if you're waiting because you want to be informed and make the 110% right decision, also fine, but from what I've read, you're probably going to want the YCW in the end and you might as well take advantage of the discount now.

Regardless of what you do, if the coils cost less than $900, they are almost definitely not worth your time and money.
Cash is definately the issue right now... all my "disposable" income has been going to pay for my daughters wedding...

·
Registered
440 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
So... the YCW Referance are in the top 3.

Any other sets I should look at?

·
Registered
1,269 Posts
like others have said, YCW is going to be one of the better coilover options. if you are trying to stay under a grand, the other option would be a good spring and damper combo, which i have had some success with for auto-x even in national events (despite being on the wrong tire).

·
Registered
440 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
like others have said, YCW is going to be one of the better coilover options. if you are trying to stay under a grand, the other option would be a good spring and damper combo, which i have had some success with for auto-x even in national events (despite being on the wrong tire).
The $1000-1600 range seems to be the sweet spot, so what are your recommendations?

I'd like to have 3-4 options when the time comes to pull the trigger on this, and the only solid opinion seems to be with the YCW.

·
Registered
530 Posts
Cash is definately the issue right now... all my "disposable" income has been going to pay for my daughters wedding...

Sent from my SAMSUNG
That's certainly more important and congratulations! I'm sure you're a very proud father.

YCW is the only one I know of so far for this car. My background is in Honda's so they have their own brands and I'm still learning the brands for Ford.

·
Registered
311 Posts
They are on the list, but I'm not ready to land this bird on the YCW's without a bit more research and feedback from the forum members.

The reason you haven't seen much yet is because the only sets out there are test sets. The pre-sale almost sold out on them from the reviews that people saw on the test sets. The first coilovers are just starting to arrive now and they said the next few weeks before orders start shipping. So you will see a lot more reviews over the summer.

The big thing for the YCW's is that they have Swift springs. Swift are the best quality spring out there. Period. They are also OEM balanced, which means that the spring rates match the OEM percentage from front to rear. So if the fronts are 65% of the springrate and 35% rear, even though the YCW's are stiffer, they will still be the same spread. Other manufacturers, even KW, use a MUCH stiffer front than rear which is what causes coilovers to feel harsh. This works in racecars but not street cars. Plus your rear end feel will differ completely from stock, and that is what makes the Focus ST feel so fun. So having a balanced spring rate is VERY important.

They also come with adjustable rebound, which isn't anything crazy, but they have 7 clicks of adjustment. Others have upwards of 30. The YCW's, you will feel the difference between each click, where others may take 10 clicks just to feel a difference which makes things confusing when trying to dial in a setup. The damping range will be the exact same, but the amount of clicks just seems to be "the more the better" when it just creates confusion which is not needed.

They also have adjustable tophats for camber and caster. I am continuously surprised how many coilover makers do not offer this for the FoST.

·
Registered
440 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·

·
Registered
1,269 Posts
the problem with BC and most of the other brands other than YCW are the spring rates. They offer some wonky softer than the front rates for the rears changing the handling dynamics of the FoST. To make things worse, all the other manufacturers use an adjustable rear perch that doesnt allow for changing rear springs to a proper biased rate leaving the user stuck unless they get a custom rear perch to accomodate a standard 2.5 inch diameter spring.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Received these coilovers yesterday from THMotorsports. They're the ST ST-X. I can't give you a review on them just yet since I have yet to install them but will let you know, hopefully this weekend. Also, if price is a significant factor, ST has a promotion on their coilovers with up to $150 off. The ST-X has a $100 mail-in rebate ? The promotion runs through the end of June.

Attachments

Reactions: Not Dan

·
Registered
27 Posts
Installed the ST-X coilovers yesterday. It took about 4hrs. Overall, the car is more planted through corners. Body roll is nearly eliminated and stability is far superior than the mountune Springs on stock suspension. The ride is not jarring and has about the same firmness as that of the mountune springs. I am definitely impressed with the entire setup and I'd purchase it again if I had to. Hit me up with any questions.

Reactions: Manoah

·
Registered
350 Posts
I have the ST's and I wouldn't recommend them. Both rear shocks started leaking after about 3-months. ST offered to repack them if I took them off the car and sent them back in the original box with the receipt. Keeping in mind my car would be on blocks while I wait for all that to take place. I replaced them with Bilstein shocks in the rear. Also keep in mind that if you go low you may or may not have toe and camber issues. I did and had to get the adjustable rear camber arms. Just my 2 cents! But it definitely looks cool and the car handles like it's on rails!

·
Registered
440 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
I have the ST's and I wouldn't recommend them. Both rear shocks started leaking after about 3-months. ST offered to repack them if I took them off the car and sent them back in the original box with the receipt. Keeping in mind my car would be on blocks while I wait for all that to take place. I replaced them with Bilstein shocks in the rear. Also keep in mind that if you go low you may or may not have toe and camber issues. I did and had to get the adjustable rear camber arms. Just my 2 cents! But it definitely looks cool and the car handles like it's on rails!
I'm actually looking for the opinions of forum members since I like to do a lot of research and get user input before settling on an upgrade. Thanks for chiming in.

So far my top 3 choices are, in order:

1. YCW
2. Bilstein
3. H&R

If anybody has experience/opinions about these or another brand you feel I should look at, please comment.

·
Premium Member
13,883 Posts
I'm actually looking for the opinions of forum members since I like to do a lot of research and get user input before settling on an upgrade. Thanks for chiming in.

So far my top 3 choices are, in order:

1. YCW
2. Bilstein
3. H&R

If anybody has experience/opinions about these or another brand you feel I should look at, please comment.

Do you know if the H&R and Bilstein have the same factory balance springs like YCW? Basicly the softer spring in the front and stiffer in the rear.

Sent from another galaxy.

1 - 20 of 49 Posts