Ford Focus ST Forum banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
2014 ST1, Mishimoto CAI and FMIC, TurboSmart BOV, DP, COBB OTS Map, Eibach Swaybars, KW Coilovers
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So i have bad coils and plugs and already bought Step 1 colder plugs, do i need to upgrade coils too or can i just replace with OEM coils? JW, not sure if upgraded coils are needed to run Step 1 colder.. i dont think so but i just want to make sure.

·
Registered
15 TB Focus ST3
654 Posts
Newp. Ps, hop off that OTS tune, instead of coils!

·
Super Moderator
10,256 Posts
So i have bad coils and plugs and already bought Step 1 colder plugs, do i need to upgrade coils too or can i just replace with OEM coils? JW, not sure if upgraded coils are needed to run Step 1 colder.. i dont think so but i just want to make sure.
All of your coils are bad? All at once? How did that happen?

·
Registered
1,126 Posts
OEM coilpacks work fine, even with 2-step colder plugs and a tune. I'm with @ddfred though, how did the coils all go bad?

·
Registered
2014 ST1, Mishimoto CAI and FMIC, TurboSmart BOV, DP, COBB OTS Map, Eibach Swaybars, KW Coilovers
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
OEM coilpacks work fine, even with 2-step colder plugs and a tune. I'm with @ddfred though, how did the coils all go bad?
Cool, 2 are bad, was just fixin to get a whole pack. The oe ones seem to be more money at advanced an autozone for some reason.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Newp. Ps, hop off that OTS tune, instead of coils!
will do soon just need to replace plugs n do oil n shyt first. then fixin to get JSTune

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
2 oem ones would literally be almost 200 bucks. for 220 bucks i can get packof 4

·
Registered
2016 Magnetic Metallic ST3
161 Posts
the OE coilpacks tend to be tested to specs beforehand. Often a single one costs more then a full set of aftermarkets. Considering the kinds of annoying problems that come up with cheap coilpacks its usually advised to just replace with OE.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
the OE coilpacks tend to be tested to specs beforehand. Often a single one costs more then a full set of aftermarkets. Considering the kinds of annoying problems that come up with cheap coilpacks its usually advised to just replace with OE.
Sounds good, prob just getting two motorcraft even tho the prices are headass. Initially asking bc like i said set of 4 aftermarket seem to be cheaper like msd n ngk n accel, and also bc i wasnt sure if it was needed with colder plugs.

·
Registered
2016 Magnetic Metallic ST3
161 Posts
The only thing you need for colder plugs is a tune. If you aren't running a tune its not really necessary. You might get more misfires on cold starts with colder plugs and no tune. Not a big deal but some guys go crazy chasing misfires.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 · (Edited)
The only thing you need for colder plugs is a tune. If you aren't running a tune its not really necessary. You might get more misfires on cold starts with colder plugs and no tune. Not a big deal but some guys go crazy chasing misfires.
Yea ik, im not worried about it cus im about to get a tune. Thats main reason i got the colder plugs, they recommend colder plugs for tune and since my plugs were bad anyways might as well do em now lol. Got a few homies that got STs and they recommended ofc getting a tune but that in the mean while (one week or less) i shouldnt have any probs. Doin plugs and coils this weekend, got a connect from family member to get 4 motorcraft coils for cheap, getting em TM. replacing, and replacing purge valve, then Oil change, then give it few days and getting tune. Hella Appreciate everybodys input (y)🙏

1 - 16 of 16 Posts