Ford Focus ST Forum banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi

I have a '13 ST with 201k miles on her. Recently a P0420 code got thrown. Took it to a shop to get it read with a bidirectional, and this is what he told me. That the inflow sensor was just bad enough to sense something wrong in the CAT, which is why it threw the CAT code and not a sensor code. (Does that sound right? I just don't know about that one)

Based on that information, I replaced the inflow sensor. Here are my questions:

1) Assuming that I fixed the problem that that part of the exhaust system had, how long will it take for that code not to show up anymore? I just pulled the car out of my garage and into the front, and the code still shows up.

2) Assuming that I didn't fix the issue, if I clear the code, will it show back up at a later date? Actually, either way, if I clear the code will it turn back up?

3) Assuming I didn't fix the issue, is it safe to run the car (I deliver things in that car......that's my 1099 job) until I do start to hear and feel the symptoms?

I currently have no symptoms of a clogged or poisoned CAT. The fuel mileage is still at 39 to 40, it doesn't idle rough, it doesn't run rough and it doesn't feel like the engine will stop when I'm stopped at a red light.

Thank you all in advance. :smile:

·
Super Moderator
2017 Ford Fusion Sport
8,200 Posts
Hi

I have a '13 ST with 201k miles on her. Recently a P0420 code got thrown. Took it to a shop to get it read with a bidirectional, and this is what he told me. That the inflow sensor was just bad enough to sense something wrong in the CAT, which is why it threw the CAT code and not a sensor code. (Does that sound right? I just don't know about that one)

Based on that information, I replaced the inflow sensor. Here are my questions:

1) Assuming that I fixed the problem that that part of the exhaust system had, how long will it take for that code not to show up anymore? I just pulled the car out of my garage and into the front, and the code still shows up.

2) Assuming that I didn't fix the issue, if I clear the code, will it show back up at a later date? Actually, either way, if I clear the code will it turn back up?

3) Assuming I didn't fix the issue, is it safe to run the car (I deliver things in that car......that's my 1099 job) until I do start to hear and feel the symptoms?

I currently have no symptoms of a clogged or poisoned CAT. The fuel mileage is still at 39 to 40, it doesn't idle rough, it doesn't run rough and it doesn't feel like the engine will stop when I'm stopped at a red light.

Thank you all in advance. :smile:
You probably should have posted this somewhere else, you posted it in the section for the Focus RS, not the ST. One of the super mods or admins can move it somewhere where it'll get seen probably.

I'm guessing you are talking about Kilometers when you talk about fuel mileage? Or do you seriously get 39-40mpg? Crazy if you do lol.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts